PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Ticket

SILVER2000SVT
02-28-2004, 01:05 PM
I got a nice one today on I20 in Arlington: 90mph in a 60 and no drivers license because I forgot to put my wallet in my pocket before I left the house. He was nice enough not to give me a ticket for no inspection sticker because I accidently scraped it off when I was replacing the registration last weekend. He got me from behind with the Laser at 900 ft.

It's been several years since my last ticket so I figure that I will just get it deferred, but on the back of the ticket it says:

"The cases for which the judge does not grant a deferral are: ..., speeding 30 mph over the speed limit..."

so now I'm a little concerned. I have a lawyer I used to get rid of a ticket a few years ago, but I'm not sure how successful I would be fighting a laser ticket.

Band
02-28-2004, 01:07 PM
I got a nice one today on I20 in Arlington: 90mph in a 60 and no drivers license because I forgot to put my wallet in my pocket before I left the house. He was nice enough not to give me a ticket for no inspection sticker because I accidently scraped it off when I was replacing the registration last weekend. He got me from behind with the Laser at 900 ft.

It's been several years since my last ticket so I figure that I will just get it deferred, but on the back of the ticket it says:

"The cases for which the judge does not grant a deferral are: ..., speeding 30 mph over the speed limit..."

so now I'm a little concerned. I have a lawyer I used to get rid of a ticket a few years ago, but I'm not sure how successful I would be fighting a laser ticket.

I think the traffic lawyer will be able to take care of ya...

99WhiteBeast
02-28-2004, 01:14 PM
They (lawyer) basically does the same thing-defer it.

I've been able to plead with the judge in most cases 25 to 35 above to get deffered or defensive driving.

Arlington is so backed up now you can defer the date 3 to 4 monthes before you even have to deal with it.

I got one in December and have a May court date which at that time I'll ask for deferred.

PoorSvtman
02-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Just do defered or defensive driving.

Also if you need your inspection done bring it up to me at work if you have any problems. Call my cell if you need me.

Red2002
02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Just do defered or defensive driving.

Also if you need your inspection done bring it up to me at work if you have any problems. Call my cell if you need me.
I need my inspection done. Where you work? :D

PoorSvtman
02-29-2004, 11:00 PM
I need my inspection done. Where you work? :D

Lynn smith chev out in burleson. Off of 35 and alsbury. I work monday-friday 8-530. Im there from 730ish to 545 but dont start working till 8 and i stop at 430 and slack off a little bit :d

Any reason why your L wont pass? Pm me if you like

SILVER2000SVT
03-01-2004, 08:19 AM
I noticed beside the speeding violation the officer wrote "state". Does this mean anything?

The thing that sucks is if they do let me defer it myself it will be 90 days from when I send in the payment, but if a lawyer ends up doing the same thing it will be 90 days after the scheduled court date which will end up being 5 or 6 months plus the 90 days. But, by the wording on the ticket I'm not sure if they will allow deferred anyway because it was exactly for 30mph over.

Silver_2000
03-01-2004, 08:40 AM
I noticed beside the speeding violation the officer wrote "state". Does this mean anything?

The thing that sucks is if they do let me defer it myself it will be 90 days from when I send in the payment, but if a lawyer ends up doing the same thing it will be 90 days after the scheduled court date which will end up being 5 or 6 months plus the 90 days. But, by the wording on the ticket I'm not sure if they will allow deferred anyway because it was exactly for 30mph over.
State may mean you have a License platre frame covering part of the TEXAS on your plate.... Thats a new law.....

Lyfisin
03-01-2004, 11:58 AM
What was the penalty for not having your license actually on you at the time?

PoorSvtman
03-01-2004, 12:46 PM
What was the penalty for not having your license actually on you at the time?

You can receive a ticket. But when you go to court and you have proof that you have a current license it can and is normaly dismissed for $10

Krystle
03-01-2004, 01:34 PM
I thought I was the only one that got a ticket this weekend..

I was passing through Ennis.. Wasnt even really thinking if I was speeding and didnt see the trooper anywhere.. But I was tagged.. Going 83 in a 65.. I didnt argue or anything.. It is normal for me to go about 80..

But it looks like I got a pretty nice fine.. The sheet said they start at 120 and then go up 4 dollars for every mile over.

Im just going to get a lawyer here.. Pay him a hundred bucks and get it cleared hopefully it wont come and bite me in the rear in a couple of years though..

PoorSvtman
03-01-2004, 02:13 PM
One more thing. I know if you go to arlingtons website you can get ticket prices and such. There should be a few numbers next to the discription of the violation. That number and discription should be on the list.

Heres arlingtons ticket info page http://www.ci.arlington.tx.us/municipalcourt/index.html

Not sure about the one in ennis since it was a state trooper

Lyfisin
03-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Ennis is where I got my ticket for doing 68 in a 60. :mad:

Brook

Wht95Lightning
03-02-2004, 12:22 PM
I have noticed a LOT more tickets being handed out lately in Arlington and Mid-cities. I wonder what's up... If you're ever on Trinity blvd, the speed limit is 40 and I have been stopped for 5 mph over twice in the last month. :hammer: I was let go both times but something is definitely going on.

PoorSvtman
03-02-2004, 12:24 PM
I have noticed a LOT more tickets being handed out lately in Arlington and Mid-cities. I wonder what's up... If you're ever on Trinity blvd, the speed limit is 40 and I have been stopped for 5 mph over twice in the last month. :hammer: I was let go both times but something is definitely going on.

There was a deal on the news saying that they were doing a crack down on i-20 threw out texas and other highways.

Krystle
03-02-2004, 07:37 PM
I talked to the court today about the ticket and the amount.. I want to do deferred adjudication so it wont go agianst my insurance and I really dont want to do BORING defensive driving or go to a lawyer that is going to charge me a $100+ plus the ticket..

So get this the chick told me it would be $280 final to get the ticket paid for and deferred.. :flaming:

A friend told me that maybe I should go to the court and go infront of the judge and see if he can reduce the fine.. Just wondering if that would be good idea.. :confused:

my2002lightning
03-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Sort of OT, but I was driving home on the Tollway (speed limit 55 pretty much the whole way) and driving the usual 20+ over.

I saw this DPD cruiser passing through the crowd and thought I would pace him (5-6 cars back) and make a little time back home.

We were cruising 80-85 for almost the whole way from downtown to 635/Galleria. :confused: :D

That's 30-35 mph over the posted speed limit! :eek2:

Ronald

03LightningRocks
03-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Sort of OT, but I was driving home on the Tollway (speed limit 55 pretty much the whole way) and driving the usual 20+ over.

I saw this DPD cruiser passing through the crowd and thought I would pace him (5-6 cars back) and make a little time back home.

We were cruising 80-85 for almost the whole way from downtown to 635/Galleria. :confused: :D

That's 30-35 mph over the posted speed limit! :eek2:

Ronald
I was told that the tollway is Sate Trooper territory, I have seen alot of Dallas PD's blowing down the tollway. If a State trooper spots you, you will get the ticket.

Rocks

03LightningRocks
03-02-2004, 09:15 PM
I talked to the court today about the ticket and the amount.. I want to do deferred adjudication so it wont go agianst my insurance and I really dont want to do BORING defensive driving or go to a lawyer that is going to charge me a $100+ plus the ticket..

So get this the chick told me it would be $280 final to get the ticket paid for and deferred.. :flaming:

A friend told me that maybe I should go to the court and go infront of the judge and see if he can reduce the fine.. Just wondering if that would be good idea.. :confused:

Ouch...280 bucks????? Wow, I got nailed in Plano and had to fork over 160 for the defensive driving route.

Rocks

Krystle
03-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Ouch...280 bucks????? Wow, I got nailed in Plano and had to fork over 160 for the defensive driving route.

Rocks
Yea... Im kinda wondering if the ditz at the court house got it wrong..:confused:

O well.. Im going to send in the form and see what they can do for me.. If it is expensive I will just go in front of the judge and see if I can get the fine lower..:rolleyes:

my2002lightning
03-02-2004, 09:41 PM
I was told that the tollway is Sate Trooper territory, I have seen alot of Dallas PD's blowing down the tollway. If a State trooper spots you, you will get the ticket.

RocksRon,

Yep, I've seen TDPS Troopers standing at the Toll-Booths pointing to cars and motioning them to the right where their buddies were there with ticket/pen in hand.

I guess the Cobra Radar/Laser detectors aren't all THAT bad.

Ronald

SILVER2000SVT
03-03-2004, 08:42 AM
My ticket is $191 to just pay it, I think it will be more to do deferred. The lawyer wants $40 to take care of it, but all they get is the same deferred plea bargain maybe with a reduce fine and they drag out the process for 6-9 months, but if you want to fight it the $40 will cover that cost too. The last one I chose to fight and when I showed up to court his assistant came out of the back room and said your case is dismissed. The last one was wrong though, this one for speeding I'm not sure how well I can fight it with any success.