PDA

View Full Version : Who had noises after the first oil change?

Sandman
03-07-2004, 12:25 AM
Just reached 500 miles in the L. Changed the oil with Motorcraft 5w20 like recommened and a Motorcraft oil filter. Cranked the truck up and now I have a "chatter" coming from the truck that I cannot pinpoint. Who else had this chatter or any other noise after thier first oil change?

Band
03-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Only when you first crank it up. Have you checked the oil level?

Sandman
03-07-2004, 01:07 AM
Oil level is fine... I'm going to drive it some more tomorrow see if I can pinpoint when and if it does stop. I couldn't hear it when I parked it tonight after the 5 minute drive. I've looked on f150online and apparently there are many people that get noises after the first oil change. Thats why I did the poll. I'm not sure if I have the same noise though. I've read alot of things from injectors ticking, piston slap, and cavitation. Its really hard to describe the sound I'm hearing. It sounds kinda like... I think it would be best to describe it as the clatter a diesel engine makes, but its not consistent. I'll listen to it again tomorrow and verify that.

Band
03-07-2004, 01:26 AM
Well you live right around the corner from me, maybe we can hookup sometime tomorrow and take a looksy.

Sandman
03-07-2004, 01:31 AM
It would be appreciated!

03'svtlight
03-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Its piston slap. The best way to fight it is to make sure your using a filter with an anti-drain back valve and in your case you are. The next thing is the "new-ness" of your truck. Even with the appropriate filter, I could still here a faint noise at startup till about 15k miles, so you might have to live with it until your motor is completey broken in which is about 15k. I have 22k and I don't here a thing. Hope that helps! :tu:

my2002lightning
03-07-2004, 11:30 AM
Andy,

I'm not sure how to vote on this one. It seems like mine has always had a "diesel" sound and I've babied mine with 3-4K mile MotorCraft 5w-20 oil changes and drive "responsibly" :D both up North in the winter and last summer here in Plano/Frisco with plenty of 100+ temps.

I'm thinking that the "ticking" sounds are the injectors and any kind of "diesel" sounds are something we'll all have to live with as it's the "nature of the beast".

I'm well over 19 K miles, 8 tight stock '02 plugs, I always run Shell/Mobil 93 and it "drinks" about 1 qt. of 5w-20 every 1K miles. The "diesel/piston-slap/etc." sounds seem to be not as bad as it used to be. :confused: Evidently, it's more broken in than before.

But, I remember nailing the L back in the summer here and it felt weak compared to now. I guess it's a combination of break-in and cooler temps.

Now I have to figure out if I want to get the Ford ESP or say "to hell with it" and mod. conservatively.

Ronald

dboat
03-07-2004, 02:32 PM
I dont know if it really helps or not, but I have them load up the new filter at least half way with oil so that its not dry when the startup occurs after the oil change.. I also use only Mobil 1, but basically any syn oil will do. I also use only a Mobil 1 oil filter, yes its more expensive and some will say that it isnt worth it, but I think it is IMHO.

Dana

Sandman
03-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Well,

Band came over and listened to it and agreed that I need to take it back to Ford and let them look at it. We think the sound is coming from the lower end somewhere.

We did crank up his truck and listen to it for comparison. It had the noise, but it was nowhere as noticeable or as loud as mine. You really had to listen for it on his. That made me feel a little better when we heard it on his. Maybe its normal. I'll take it in tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks again Band for coming over and listening to it!

Band
03-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Was my pleasure.. Great shootin tha chit with ya!

L8 APEX
03-07-2004, 10:38 PM
If it is there Band can hear it:rll: :D

TXBLU
03-07-2004, 10:58 PM
Just reached 500 miles in the L. Changed the oil with Motorcraft 5w20 like recommened and a Motorcraft oil filter. Cranked the truck up and now I have a "chatter" coming from the truck that I cannot pinpoint. Who else had this chatter or any other noise after thier first oil change?
Just to add to the confusion:

I used Castrol 5W-20 with a Purolator Pure One filter at my first oil change (500 miles), and didn't notice any untoward noises at all. I changed it again at 1000 miles with the smae oil/filter without any problems. When I changed it again at 3000 miles, I used Mobil 1 5W-30, and soon after started hearing the 'can of marbles' at start-up. I thought it was kind of odd, especially since it would very nearly stop when the engine was fully warmed up. All of my oil changes have been at 3000 mile intervals. This lasted up until my last oil change at 24,000 miles when I started using Mobil 1 0W-20 with the same Purolator filter as always. I no longer have any noise whatsoever.

Go figure.:confused:

L1nt2B
03-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Mind did start to make some ticking noise after the 1st oil change but only @ WOT, now its gone after about 500 miles

L8 APEX
03-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Who had ticking after their second motor:hammer: amatures:D