PDA

View Full Version : Wes Eaton Port Results

scott015
03-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Got my eaton back yesterday and was very pleased to say the least. There was no flaking and he did an amazing job cleaning it all up... it looked like a brand new SC... and the port job was excellent... very professional... he is also a great guy to work with.. responds quickly, does the work fast... i got my SC back in less than 1 week... amazing!!!

ok, so last night when I got home we popped that sucker on and took it for a spin. (need to also state that an ftvb was installed at the same time)

well Im not very happy with the immediate results. But I do not think it has anything to do with the port job at all. I think its my program on the chip. Im new to this, so im sorta hoping you guys can help me out... but I think I need a reburn.

you know how normally you press the gas pedal down about 1/3 of the way and you get that "kick" and you feel like a jet ready for take off. Well.... I dont have that anymore... it whines alot louder, but I have to seriously press the pedal down ALL THE WAY DOWN to get that "kick" and even then, I dont get it right away... its almost like a full second or so delay from when I get on it....

so does that mean Im not getting enough or too much fuel?? im really hoping a chip reburn will bring this puppy to life....

but even though as is... i think i can feel a little extra power... i know i chirped the tires switching from 2-3rd gear!!!!!

scott015
03-11-2004, 09:52 AM
just wanted to add that my chip is programmed by PSP... it chip itself says "PCMCUX2" and when I got it I belive i was told it was a pretty conservative street program.....

bobbywade69
03-11-2004, 10:06 AM
If A would have thought about I would have poped my chip in yours last night!

02BOLT
03-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Scott,

Get the truck to a dyno ASAP! Preferrably Speedworks, since that is where you dyno'd before. They will have your original baseline on file. You can make a pull with your new set-up and then they can overlay the two graphs, thereby enabling you to see EXACTLY where you gained or lost power, AND what effect the port job had on your A/F ratio. Seat of the pants can be deceiving and does NOT in and of itself quantify results.;)

Once again...Get 'er to the dyno, so you have some hard data from which to take your next step. Furthermore, this data will serve to aid whoever does your reburn, so they can see what the A/F ratio is doing in reference to RPM.

Due to the extra airflow the motor should be seeing with the port job, it is HIGHLY unlikely that the A/F ratio would have richened up at all. If anything it should have leaned out 1/4 to 1/2 a point. ONLY the dyno will tell you for sure.:tu: Keep us posted.

Later,
Rob:burnout:

tliss
03-11-2004, 02:42 PM
My A/F ratio leaned out a massively after the ported blower went on, so get it checked out. Life would really suck if you blow that truck up after getting the blower back.

Tom

cpeapea
03-11-2004, 06:30 PM
i agree, since the blower is now moving more air, you need more fuel to compensate for the now leaner a/f mixture.

bobbywade69
03-11-2004, 07:37 PM
I agree with everyone on the leaning out also must get it dynoed to see whats happening!:tu:

Mark #2
03-12-2004, 10:50 AM
My A/F ratio leaned out a massively after the ported blower went on, so get it checked out. Life would really suck if you blow that truck up after getting the blower back.

Tom
Our trucks are MAF controlled, if you are pulling more air through the MAF, why doesn't the MAF measure it and the computer program add more fuel? All of the air has to come through the MAF doesn't it?

tliss
03-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Our trucks are MAF controlled, if you are pulling more air through the MAF, why doesn't the MAF measure it and the computer program add more fuel? All of the air has to come through the MAF doesn't it?
You would think it would adjust, but if that were really the case everyone would have perfect A/F ratios every time they hit the dyno, regardless of mods. I don't know all the technical details around the MAF, so I really don't know. All I do know is my A/F was fat when I dyno'd before the Apten and lean after. So lean I was not comfortable driving it.

The message to be taken from this is get things checked out. You have to know what's going on.

Tom

min150mph
03-12-2004, 01:34 PM
Is it really that the ported eaton draws more air or is it that it compresses the air more efficiently after porting? If it drew more air you would think the computer would compensate, but if compressing the air more efficiently then the computer has no way of knowing.

L8 APEX
03-12-2004, 08:36 PM
The computer can only modify the fuel trim about 25% from base program. A reflash would allow it to control a wider margin. Or a chip would move up the base program.