PDA

View Full Version : ANyone know backup and recovery on an AS400?

L8 APEX
07-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Is this up your alley Blueoval? I have a job offer if so:tu::banana:

blueoval01
07-02-2002, 06:24 PM
Oh jeez, Terry.
That thread title makes me nervous.
1) Backup & recovery has never been implemented.
2) Backup on an As400 system should include not only stored files but spooled as well.
3) Backup was working, but a recovery system was never tested. And now their backups are Cr*p.
4) No backup & recovery was ever setup.
5) I'm freakin' out and the As400 dude just quit.

Can you be a bit more descriptive in the job requirements and skill set?

I'm not an AS400 guru, but have had to instruct a few customers on the systematic procedures of DB2.

Was hoping to increase my mainframe skills with the "boat anchors" that madness is cleaning the dust out of .....

RedNemesis01
07-02-2002, 07:51 PM
nuthin' like ojt there, blue :hammer:

L8 APEX
07-02-2002, 08:28 PM
It was the job I was telling you about last week. They turned down my bud, he told me that is what they are looking for. He is a CCNA, MP and that kind of crap. I will send you details in Email.

rickgig
07-02-2002, 09:05 PM
Okay guys... you hit my button... I got an AS/400 in my home office... anyone wanna buy it!!!

OBTW... it's been 4 years since I turned it on (the AS/400 that is)!!

rickgig
07-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Forgot to mention... if ya really need help... I can get ya to the right person... I used to have a consulting firm that employed about 25 or so technical people in the AS/400 world.

I still have the contacts..

L8 APEX
07-02-2002, 11:30 PM
It's not my position I am just trying to help my technology minded friends to find a darn job! I can't believe the market is so tight out there:(

MadMax
07-03-2002, 12:32 AM
Out of 700 Worldcom employees I am SURE someone has the credentials you are looking for. :rolleyes: I spent lunch at a seminar at TWC with a laid off Worldcom Software Guru...

Attn: We need a "kiss your ass goodbye thread"...or better yet...Doug..consider a prayer thread...(ITWO) is sucking hind titty too... :mad:

Get ready for a BULL MARKET...just like after the S&L Fiasco...the question is=when????????? :hammer:

blueoval01
07-03-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by rickgig
Okay guys... you hit my button... I got an AS/400 in my home office... anyone wanna buy it!!!

OBTW... it's been 4 years since I turned it on (the AS/400 that is)!!

rickgig, I'll trade you a 8 Track player for it.... lol.
I'm interested. Does it power up? And is it missing any hardware?
I'm trying to expand my home office and have wanted to increase my skills in the AS400 realm.

Thanks......

blueoval01
07-03-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by rickgig
Forgot to mention... if ya really need help... I can get ya to the right person... I used to have a consulting firm that employed about 25 or so technical people in the AS/400 world.

I still have the contacts..

For me, it's a new venture. Do any of these folks take on newbies to train?

Thanks

blueoval01
07-03-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by L8 APEX
It was the job I was telling you about last week. They turned down my bud, he told me that is what they are looking for. He is a CCNA, MP and that kind of crap. I will send you details in Email.

Thanks Terry,
They are looking for at least a AS400 ASO but preferably a PSO (Professional System Operator) certified, that knows RPG and Cobol. That's minimum requirements and may not get you the job, at that.
Systems Administration would be better.

Pushin' on .........:tu:

MadNess
07-03-2002, 10:53 AM
I have made progress with the two anchors dug out of the garage. Here is the skinny,

They both power up, and both beep and have lights...

I do not have a display capable of outputting what the machine is doing, so you will be on your own there...

The other situation is one of software... I hope you have it, or know it or something, I have no idea what is even on these things... and really no way of finding out unless I hack together some sort of display device for these machines.

How do we get the machines to you? I will be at FFW in Ennis, would that be a good time to bring these out?

MadNess :)

blueoval01
07-03-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by MadNess
I have made progress .............

How do we get the machines to you? I will be at FFW in Ennis, would that be a good time to bring these out?

Hey Madness .. THAT"S GREAT!!! Display and software isn't an issue for me.

What day(s) are you gonna be in Ennis. I can't stay for FFW, but I would be glad to meet you somewhere that is convienent for you.

Mark@blueoval.net
972-216-5869 Home Office
OH JEEEZ , for some reason I was thinkin' that FFW-Ennis was this weekend. Shoot, I could drive down to Houston to get them before September!
Whatever works for you ....... :tu:

MadNess
07-03-2002, 12:22 PM
well, I would sure hate for you to drive all the way to Houston for these two anchors. Maybe someone is already doing a trip to houston, or to dallas or something, and we could get them to hitch a ride... Letme know what you think, I will not be around though until after this weekend.. so next week or weekend i could probably be available if you have an idea.

Letme know dude,

blueoval01
07-03-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MadNess
well, I would sure hate for you to drive all the way to Houston for these two anchors...........
Letme know dude,

".....when my boat comes in, these will be the anchors for my new cruise".

Nice save, eh? LMAO :d

Thank again Madness, I'll touch base with you next week.
I really appreciate it (and that's no BS) ......:nono:

:tu:

MadNess
07-03-2002, 03:20 PM
just let me know... who knows while your in town, maybe I have other anchors you need... :) LOL

L8 APEX
07-03-2002, 03:56 PM
I have a friend that works in Houston a lot and may come up in the next two weeks.:tu:

MadNess
07-03-2002, 04:47 PM
sounds like plan to me, give him my email addy and tell him to contact me madness@madscience101.com