PDA

View Full Version : Dyno Results Saturday - Something wrong

scott015
03-14-2004, 12:01 PM
ok, as you know I just installed the ported eaton and was having problems. I didnt notice any increase in power. in fact, i felt like I might have lost power.. well I didnt think that was possible... so I took it to Speedworks on Saturday...

before the ported eaton I my dyno run was 388, so i got there on Saturday and my first run was 305... yes and thats not a typ-o... really 305... so the guy up there obviously knew something was wrong... so you know that little rubber boot thingy (dont know the name of it) thats connected to the supercharger that controls the boost... it has a small rod that moves up and down....???

well he kinda just wiggled that a little and we tried again on the dyno.. my next run was 396... alot better... but not where i wanted.... only 8hp better for a ported eaton??? anyway, continued one more time and was like 395... truck was probably pretty warm by this time...

while it was on the dyno, we were watching my 2 boost guages (stock and autometer) and neither got above like 12pounds.... i was at 12 before the port job... and not only that, he said usually these things immedialy jump up to about 10 or so... well mine was going real slow... the boost was climbing but doing it real slow...

anyway, on my way home i was kinda playing around alot to see... and sometimes I would get on it and basically have like no boost... it would top out around like 5-6.... then another time, it would just up to about 10-12...

so something is acting very weird.... why is my boost sticking?? could it be that rod in that rubber thing?? what do I do to fix this problem???

p.s. there is a red/green wire with a clip thats near that rubber boot thing... is that the plug for the boost bypass? i unclipped that once and tried it and it made a HUGE difference.... i almost got whiplash... i was excited... i think that one time i was at about 15lbs boost... but dont know if it was a coinedence or if it really had to do with unplugging that wire... anyway, its raining too much to play...

Mark #2
03-14-2004, 12:13 PM
ok, as you know I just installed the ported eaton and was having problems. I didnt notice any increase in power. in fact, i felt like I might have lost power.. well I didnt think that was possible... so I took it to Speedworks on Saturday...

before the ported eaton I my dyno run was 388, so i got there on Saturday and my first run was 305... yes and thats not a typ-o... really 305... so the guy up there obviously knew something was wrong... so you know that little rubber boot thingy (dont know the name of it) thats connected to the supercharger that controls the boost... it has a small rod that moves up and down....???

well he kinda just wiggled that a little and we tried again on the dyno.. my next run was 396... alot better... but not where i wanted.... only 8hp better for a ported eaton??? anyway, continued one more time and was like 395... truck was probably pretty warm by this time...

while it was on the dyno, we were watching my 2 boost guages (stock and autometer) and neither got above like 12pounds.... i was at 12 before the port job... and not only that, he said usually these things immedialy jump up to about 10 or so... well mine was going real slow... the boost was climbing but doing it real slow...

anyway, on my way home i was kinda playing around alot to see... and sometimes I would get on it and basically have like no boost... it would top out around like 5-6.... then another time, it would just up to about 10-12...

so something is acting very weird.... why is my boost sticking?? could it be that rod in that rubber thing?? what do I do to fix this problem???

p.s. there is a red/green wire with a clip thats near that rubber boot thing... is that the plug for the boost bypass? i unclipped that once and tried it and it made a HUGE difference.... i almost got whiplash... i was excited... i think that one time i was at about 15lbs boost... but dont know if it was a coinedence or if it really had to do with unplugging that wire... anyway, its raining too much to play...
Go do a search for boost bypass, you will find that you can either unplug it or vacuum route around it. I did the later.
Mark

PoorSvtman
03-14-2004, 12:59 PM
Go do a search for boost bypass, you will find that you can either unplug it or vacuum route around it. I did the later.
Mark

I did mine both ways. Right after i did it with re routing the vacuum lines i found out i could have just unplugged it :rolleyes:

cpeapea
03-14-2004, 08:11 PM
could the boost actuator be adjusted wrong?

bobbywade69
03-14-2004, 08:56 PM
I think maybe it was damaged when they cleaned it!

02BOLT
03-14-2004, 09:43 PM
Scott,

It sounds to me like the BOOST ACTUATOR. You mentioned it was the apparatus attached to the back of the blower. The boost bypass would not cause it to behave like you were describing, nor is it attached to the back of the blower. The boost bypass solenoid is the top plug on the driver side of the supercharger, just behind the EGR valve.

The boost actuator probably got bumped during shipping or when they were performing the portwork. Some people have played with their actuators in an effort to adjust the manner in which the bower makes boost and/or how quickly it builds boost.

I have never messed with mine, so I don't really know how to go about getting it set correctly. I would take it to Terry and let him have a looksee. I believe he could probably have it taken care of pretty quickly, and most importantly, it will be done RIGHT!:tu:

Goodluck,
Rob:burnout:

ThunderBolt
03-14-2004, 10:20 PM
Keep it unplugged. That's a safety feature to keep engine from producing
an excessive amount of boost. Just keep in mind...There's always a risk factor involved when trying to get the most out of your L. :tongue:

Sandman
03-14-2004, 11:24 PM
If you want to attempt to adjust the boost actuator yourself see here:

http://home.midsouth.rr.com/lightningpage/tips.html

Scroll half way down the page.

GL

diablolightning
03-17-2004, 01:00 AM
send andrew (microsuck) an email he was messing arounf with his at one point.

wesman
03-17-2004, 09:01 AM
The actuator is pretty simple to adjust, takes a few minutes to get it the way your truck likes it best (some have it right on and others have a 1/4" adjustment) Take a look at it and you'll see. As the others said, leave the boost bypass unplugged.

You could always take it to Terry as Rob suggested, he could give it all a good once over and make sure there aren't any additional boost leaks etc.

BTW-Don't let Speedworks play with your vacuum lines etc :throw:

--wes

PoorSvtman
03-17-2004, 06:34 PM
send andrew (microsuck) an email he was messing arounf with his at one point.

Speaking of andrew. I havent heard any word of him after he got rid of his L. I wonder how his court stuff is going.

By the way guys. Bobby got it taken care of. One of the vac lines was pushed to far into an elbo fitting .

bobbywade69
03-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Speaking of andrew. I havent heard any word of him after he got rid of his L. I wonder how his court stuff is going.

By the way guys. Bobby got it taken care of. One of the vac lines was pushed to far into an elbo fitting .
Yes that is correct now he needs to get it dynoed!:banana:

PoorSvtman
03-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Yes that is correct now he needs to get it dynoed!:banana:

I need to get to the dyno. I have yet to get a good run in or an accurate numbers.

Give me your 6lber bobby. :tongue: