PDA

View Full Version : Tire Balancing.

TXBLU
03-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Does anybody know a good place to get tires balanced? After purchasing my F-1s at Discount in Arlington, I took them back once for rebalancing (they were definately out of balance). They apologized and said they they had just recalibrated a different machine, and rebalanced my tires.
Well, they were still out of balance.:hammer:

I took them over to the Discount in Valley Ranch and watched them rebalance them again. Two of the four were definately out of balance. On the drive home, I heard something hit the exhaust pipes, and it sounded like it could have been a weight that came off, but it looks like all the weights are still there. There was nothing that I saw in the road, and I usually keep a sharp eye out for road debris, so I wonder. I didn't drive the truck much until yesterday when I went to my Mom's house via 635. The newly smoothed sections. Guess what? I can tell that at least one tire is out of balance. I don't know if I have a bad tire (doubtful), if I just need to have a tire rotated 180 degrees on the rim and rebalanced, or if I just tossed a weight. There seemed to be a lot of stick-on weights (actually weights stuch on top of others) on the right front, it the machine said "0" when the guy was done.

I used to be in the tire biz and it aint rocket science to balance a freakin' tire, or to figure out that tire is bad or needs repositioning. At this point I am willing to pay someone else to do the job or to let me use thier equipment. At least I know the right way to use a torque wrench, unlike ANYONE I have ever seen in a tire store for God's sake! (If any of you work in a tire store and really do know how to use a torque wrench, I'll be shocked. I'll apologize to you, but I'll still be shocked.)

All help is appreciated (as usual).

P.S. - The Manager at V.R. Discount suggested that I might need the $10.00 per tire "match balance" where they apply a load to the tire as they balance it, to simulate "actual on-road conditions". Anybody buy that? I don't think a $1000.00+ set of tires should ever need anything other than standard, competent balancing. I could see maybe on-vehicle balancing, to take into consideration my (new from Terry) brake discs, but that doesn't seem like it should be necessary either.

Band
03-16-2004, 01:41 PM
I have been happy with NTB. They don't have the road force balance.. But atleast they zero out the balance... Discount tire typically calls it done within 4oz..

True Blue Aggie
03-16-2004, 01:50 PM
If I am not mistaken, Trai works on alignments at NTB on 75 and Lovers. He could probably take care of you or point you in the right direction...

cpeapea
03-16-2004, 06:51 PM
I have been happy with NTB. They don't have the road force balance.. But atleast they zero out the balance... Discount tire typically calls it done within 4oz..i used to work for discount tire, we zeroed out every tire. 4oz would shake you right out of your seat and out the window. you cant feel anything under .25 oz. also f-1s have a bad habbit of being out of round from the manufacturer.