PDA

View Full Version : Pulling trailer....etc, long distance

TP Derrick D
03-18-2004, 04:13 PM
Hey any of you pull a trailer long distance before? I pulled my Mustang to FFW Ennis back in '02 but that was only from S. Ft Worth to Ennis. I got to pull a U-Haul car trailer with a Sable from Mansfield to Alabama, a distance of about 650-660 miles one way to where I'm going, and returning with a broken down Taraus.(1) I've got info like do not pullin OD,(2) pull in OD but not up inclines,(3) do not use OD at all when pulling. Doug I know you pull your boat any info ? Terry you da' man which is it? Did I ask you before? Can't remember.
Don't want to burn the tranny up. Although it is under warranty.

Silver_2000
03-18-2004, 04:15 PM
I have never pulled my boat that far...
In the summer I did see some 200+ degree tranny temps...

I would be tempted to rent a uhaul and beat on it rather than my lightning....

tliss
03-18-2004, 04:41 PM
I've pulled 4000lbs of tile 650+ miles without worry. Shouldn't be too big a deal.

Tom

Band
03-18-2004, 04:44 PM
I have just pulled my boat with the lightning, but not very far.

03LightningRocks
03-18-2004, 05:49 PM
I trailored my Lightning to Houston and back last summer. I had to keep my OD off or my truck would keep jumping in and out of OD. I went through some serious gas running at 70-75 with my OD off.

Rocks

TP Derrick D
03-18-2004, 05:49 PM
I have never pulled my boat that far...
In the summer I did see some 200+ degree tranny temps...

I would be tempted to rent a uhaul and beat on it rather than my lightning....
Thanks for the replies gents, Believe me Doug I priced that senerio, they want BIG $$$$$ for a min 14' truck and trailer @ .79 a mile plus $29.95 a day for truck and 49.95 a day for trailer, almost $1,100 round trip. Don't have that for U-Haul, thats why I needed to sell my F1's and rims for quick cash. The minimum size truck they rent to pull a trailer is 14' .Just can't go that route. You guys use OD on or OD off ?

03LightningRocks
03-18-2004, 05:53 PM
I trailored my Lightning to Houston and back last summer. I had to keep my OD off or my truck would keep jumping in and out of OD. I went through some serious gas running at 70-75 with my OD off.

Rocks
:beer:

03'svtlight
03-18-2004, 10:31 PM

Rocks
This is true. I pulled a trailer with ALOT of 8' ft fence sections. Passed 70mph it was cool but under that AND going up hills I turned the OD off. Good luck bro. :tu:

TP Derrick D
03-18-2004, 10:40 PM
I'll let you guys know what happens. Hate to do this but my baby (24 y.o. daughter) in Alabama needs here daddys help. So got to go. My truck is still stock except for the outside appearance changes and a cold air intake so I'm not worried about any extra strain due to mods. Thanks again :cool:

L8 APEX
03-18-2004, 11:28 PM
If it has to eb the L then it should be fine. Just keep the cruise RPM above 2400 that will make plenty of torque so it doesn't bog down. You have an upgraded F250 trans it should take it no problem. A supercharged V8 is a towing haus. You will get a feel for what works best.

Tony2000
03-19-2004, 01:56 PM
I've pulled my lightning with my excursion from Dallas all the way to Chihuahua Mexico, I recomend the same as terry and if you need to pass or up hill take OD off. Good luck Toyn2000

98Cobra
03-20-2004, 06:06 PM
I have pulled my boat for two summers now, including to Austin and back at 70+ mph. No problems here! :)

Wht95Lightning
03-20-2004, 06:39 PM
If the rear wheels on the Sable are ok then you could pull it on a dolly, would be cheaper..

Ivanhoe_Farms
03-20-2004, 07:58 PM
I pulled a trailer from Washington, DC to the farm with all of my DC stuff in it!

About 1350 miles, got a check engine light from right and left bank running too rich. I pulled the trailer (the largest one U-Haul has) out of overdrive, up and down the mountains without any problems.

Hope this helps.

dboat
03-20-2004, 11:11 PM
I towed my boat from Dallas to Erie without a problem. Nice part was that merging on the freeway was absolutely no problem. I will say that my boat and trailer combined dont weigh as much as Dougs boat alone. But it made it without a problem..
Dana :tu:

Badcarma
03-21-2004, 02:10 AM
I've pulled 2 harley's and 1 pasta rocket to and from Daytona beach on a trailer. Adverage speed's of 80 mph, and mid 90's in Florida, never overheated. mine isn't stock, I just used the close to stock program.:tu:

Scott

Silver_2000
03-21-2004, 08:21 AM
I towed my boat from Dallas to Erie without a problem. Nice part was that merging on the freeway was absolutely no problem. I will say that my boat and trailer combined dont weigh as much as Dougs boat alone. But it made it without a problem..
Dana :tu:
Dana
Just found out that my boat weighs 3550 according to the book..BUT a 4000 hydrohoist wont lift it ... Funny

Doug

98Cobra
03-21-2004, 01:35 PM
Dana
Just found out that my boat weighs 3550 according to the book..BUT a 4000 hydrohoist wont lift it ... Funny

Doug
That's probably dry weight...add fuel and supplies, that would be close to or over 4000...

dboat
03-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Dana

Doug

Doug,
If I remember correctly, my boat and trailer combined weigh less than 2000 lbs.
Dana

TP Derrick D
03-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Back from my trip and as I said I would I'm letting you know how it went.Got a car hauler from U-Haul put the car on and left at about 10:10 Fri 3/19. Started raining about the time I got to I-20 all the way from Arlington to Forney area. I'm thinking , I don't need rain when I'm trying to pull this thing 650 miles. By the way I'm in OD. I tried both ways and with OD off ,the RPM's were just to high seem like.With OD on I was just cruising along. I did click OD off at the bigger hills and the higher RPM's took the hill with no problem. On the way back was a completely different story. After I get there 7:30 Fri night. Sat morning I take the car off and go to where the broken down car was. It would not start so with the car being on an incline facing upward, I back the trailer up and put the ramps under the back wheels and yes you guessed it pushed the car on to the trailer backwards. I did'nt have any ideal the trouble that would cause. On the way back Sun morning I'm cruising at about 60 when I hit I-20 west in Alabama and decided it was time to step up the pace. The trailer started dancing all over the place.I was doing about 70 and it almost scared my mom to death as she was riding back with me to visit me and wifey. The trailer was actually weaving into the left lane and had the L rocking pretty bad.I found out that when I go over 65 it would weave ,under 65 was not as bad. My mom seem to think that the weight from the engine of the car being on the trailer backwards was the problem. Probably was ,because when I had the car I was taking to Alabama on the trailer front first, the L was sitting lower but on the way back it was not. Going there I could cruise at high speeds coming back I could only do 60 or below. Now that was a long ride at that speed. Over 11 hours, and yes the L was drinking petro like crazy. Probably got about 210 miles out of a tank. It was a learnig experience but unless REALLY necessary I DON'T THINK I WILL DO THAT AGAIN!!! only local or maybe to Houston. But 'da TOYTRUCK performed like a champ.

bobbywade69
03-23-2004, 11:06 PM
Glad to hear u made it back Derrick, Welcome back home!!!knana Can't wait to see that Stang run!!:evil