PDA

View Full Version : 6 or 8lb pulley

PoorSvtman
03-18-2004, 10:11 PM
Hmm i want to go with a 6lber or a 8lber. What to do.

StormShadow
03-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Hmm i want to go with a 6lber or a 8lber. What to do.Get a 6lb lower and 1lb upper

bobbywade69
03-18-2004, 10:15 PM
I think u should go with nothing at all!!!:evil

PoorSvtman
03-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Shut it bobby. Buy me a pulley

bobbywade69
03-18-2004, 10:19 PM
Shut it bobby. Buy me a pulley
I told u I got u a 4# u can buy!

PoorSvtman
03-18-2004, 10:23 PM
I dont want a measly 4lber :) I need to beat scott with out a port job lol.

:postwhore

StormShadow
03-18-2004, 10:28 PM
You have to crawl before you can walk grasshopper.

bobbywade69
03-18-2004, 10:29 PM
True That, thats y I'm going from 4 to 10 lower and 2 upper!:evil :bows

PoorSvtman
03-18-2004, 10:44 PM

Im just skipping the other pulleys. why waist my money on a 4lber when i know ill just go bigger. knana

Band
03-19-2004, 12:06 AM
Im just skipping the other pulleys. why waist my money on a 4lber when i know ill just go bigger. knana

I have a 6# you could buy..

scott015
03-19-2004, 08:42 AM
I dont want a measly 4lber I need to beat scott with out a port job lol.

dont kid yourself kid.... i might as well send off and get new plates that say "BYMIKE" because thats all your gonna see from now on

bobbywade69
03-19-2004, 08:50 AM

dont kid yourself kid.... i might as well send off and get new plates that say "BYMIKE" because thats all your gonna see from now on
Now Now no need for this, can we all just get along!:beer: :rll:

Silver_2000
03-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Get a 10 pounder... And go back and save me some of he pieces of the rods when they exit the engine on the highway....:evil :evil

scott015
03-19-2004, 09:12 AM
hey guys, truck came with the 4lb... so that was nice... but i had seriously thought about switching to a 6lb... never even thought of 8 or 10.... but how "safe" is an 6lb? i know, no mod is really "safe".... but i know there are TONS of people running 4lbs with no problems.... is jumping to a 6lb ok or is it getting on the risky side???

StormShadow
03-19-2004, 10:32 AM
hey guys, truck came with the 4lb... so that was nice... but i had seriously thought about switching to a 6lb... never even thought of 8 or 10.... but how "safe" is an 6lb? i know, no mod is really "safe".... but i know there are TONS of people running 4lbs with no problems.... is jumping to a 6lb ok or is it getting on the risky side???
Get your a/f form the port job first buddy. Baby steps Scott baby steps.

03LightningRocks
03-19-2004, 10:36 AM
I think it would be much better for him to go ahead and hit that motor with everything he can throw at it....:evil .

Just a side note......Scott, go ahead and start paying Terry for a built motor now.

Rocks:nono:

bobbywade69
03-19-2004, 10:38 AM
There's only one way to find out if its strong enough!:evil

scott015
03-19-2004, 10:50 AM
u really think im too much power for stock block? i figure when i hit dyno today or tomorrow ill be around 410... then when I add TB, efan, intercool, exhaust, etc i want... maybe ill be 420.... is that really something to worry about on stock block?

im being seious... cuz i dont know..

bobbywade69
03-19-2004, 10:51 AM
All the stock block is good u have nothing to worry about I was just jackin with ya!:tu:

PoorSvtman
03-19-2004, 10:56 AM

Im not kidding my self. What were your times again at kennedale? Im just messing with you scott. :tu:

03LightningRocks
03-19-2004, 01:15 PM
I would not even attempt to tell someone else what their motor can handle. Anything beyond stock boost is a risk. The past couple years, everyone has gotten brave about boost. There are guys that post in this forum that can tell you a time when a 4lb over pulley was considered a risk. Now I am seeing fellows throwing 8 and 10 pounds over on the block and heads.

It is important to realize that you are risking head gaskets as well as rods when you start hitting about 12-15 lbs of boost. Go for it....just know the risks and be prepared for the worst. If your sh!t blows up, don't come here crying about the quality of Ford. My motor and others have been able to take the hits....don't be lulled into thinking you will be lucky too. If your not lucky, can you afford a new motor or a new set of head gaskets? I can, so I figured, what the heck and I went for broke.

Good luck with what ever you do Scott.

Rocks:tu:

scott015
03-19-2004, 01:28 PM
well im just curious....

are there ways to UPGRADE certain parts like rods, gaskets, etc to prevent from it blowing...

or

(god forbid it happens) IF i ever did blow an engine, how much would it cost to rebuild?? what is it exactly that usually goes bad?

Band
03-19-2004, 02:07 PM
well im just curious....

are there ways to UPGRADE certain parts like rods, gaskets, etc to prevent from it blowing...

or

(god forbid it happens) IF i ever did blow an engine, how much would it cost to rebuild?? what is it exactly that usually goes bad?

yeah, you can upgrade rods etc.... It's referred to as rebuilding the bottom end, or getting a built block.

The quote I have researched to rebuild a block with JUST new rods is $6500 including labor.

If you throw a rod:
A stock block if you blow a hole in the side is additional $1k.
If a head gets a piston slammed into it you might as well get new heads and cams for an additional $3k.

Band
03-19-2004, 02:12 PM
Also, to my knowledge, I don't believe head gaskets are upgradeable. You can prevent head gaskets blowing from getting head studs. I don't have pricing on this yet.

03LightningRocks
03-19-2004, 02:59 PM
Also, to my knowledge, I don't believe head gaskets are upgradeable. You can prevent head gaskets blowing from getting head studs. I don't have pricing on this yet.
The head gaskets are upgradeable. I don't know that this would be something you would do as a stand alone mod. I think the time to upgrade the head gaskets would be at the same time as the ARP head studs and cams...LOL.

I once had a salesman at a BMW dealership tell me, "If you have to ask how much", you can't afford it. I am kidding a little here Scott, but seriously, it is important that you realize what you may be getting into here before you start trying to make that truck run 11's. There is a price you may have to pay for it.

Rocks:beer:

scott015
03-19-2004, 03:09 PM
here is a full list of my mods... i think if taken care of I should be fine... I dont belive I am even close to an 11sec truck

PSP Chip
4lb
Ported Eaton
90 Mass Air
Accufab Throttle Body
JLP Ram Air
IT20 Plugs
FTVB
Exhaust

thats about all the performance mods I got.... And like I said before, Im just about done... I think the only thing left on my to do list is:

EFan/Pump
160' Thermo
EBC Brakes
Long Tubes (maybe)

03LightningRocks
03-19-2004, 03:58 PM
here is a full list of my mods... i think if taken care of I should be fine... I dont belive I am even close to an 11sec truck

PSP Chip
4lb
Ported Eaton
90 Mass Air
Accufab Throttle Body
JLP Ram Air
IT20 Plugs
FTVB
Exhaust

thats about all the performance mods I got.... And like I said before, Im just about done... I think the only thing left on my to do list is:

EFan/Pump
160' Thermo
EBC Brakes
Long Tubes (maybe)
Your right...that won't get you into the elevens. If it where mine, I would do the long tubes next. That will make it easier for your motor to handle the boost. With the 4lb on the ported blower you are probably around 14-15lbs of boost. That 6lb will put you at about 17lbs. 14-15 is probably not going to kill your motor unless your tune is out of wack. But it is putting more stress on it than stock. 17lbs of boost is for someone who is looking for an excuse to buy a new motor....:d .

The electric fan will give you some "free" H.P.

scott015
03-19-2004, 04:07 PM
ya ill probably just stick with the 4lb....

so if I did LT, my boost would actually decrease... or how does that work? iv read that before that LT take a lb or 2 of boost away from engine... what exactly does that mean?

03LightningRocks
03-19-2004, 04:32 PM
ya ill probably just stick with the 4lb....

so if I did LT, my boost would actually decrease... or how does that work? iv read that before that LT take a lb or 2 of boost away from engine... what exactly does that mean?
The long tubes will show a slight decrease in the boost you read on the gage. It doesn't mean you are getting less air flow. It will allow the exhaust to work more effeciently with the intake. Here is a link..... http://www.speedpartz.com/headerhelp.htm

That is a pretty good explanation of how headers work.

L8 APEX
03-20-2004, 12:51 AM
I agree with Ron anything over stock is a gamble. I knew I was going to drive my truck hard on the road. So I set it up very mildly with a 2# pulley, Efan, TB, filter, Magnaflow, and PSP road race tune with a 10.5:1 A/F making 392 hp. Here are the results of that experiment while driving to Mom's house on Christmas day 2002. Total cost after built long block $9400 , headers and system $1500, reblt trans $2K and misc 7 months and $14K dollars. But like Rob and Ron I planned on replacing my engine the day I bought the truck. What is even better is my 10K dollar long block made it 3K miles then started knocking so it is coming back out for inspection. So even if you do spend ten grand on a built motor there are no guarantees ih the world of high performance.
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Blown_motor11.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15blown3.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15blown1.jpg

03LightningRocks
03-20-2004, 09:47 AM
Terry,

I think I could fix that block.....a little JB weld and she'll be good as new.

Rocks