PDA

View Full Version : Remember that DSG from a week ago

00Bolt
04-06-2004, 08:49 AM
remember last week when I came on here crying about getting beat by that 03 DSG by 2 car lengths...

well, i happen to meet up with him again on Cooper last night on my way home from work... i pulled him over just so I could show him my 8.2 time slip and then we got to talking.... he really does only have chip/pulley/boost bypass... but i was incorrect, his pulley is a 6lb and not a 4lb like I have... so that along with 4.73 gears is prolly enough to match up against my ported blower,tb,ftvb...

anyway, on our way out of parking lot, we both got on it... wasnt an official race... but this time i was about 2 car lengths ahead of him.... maybe last time i just couldnt hook up and didnt realize it.... im guessing we are probably pretty even.... knana

how much extra does the 6lb add over the 4lb??

03'svtlight
04-06-2004, 09:01 AM
From what I can conclude, its about 20 more rearwheel ponies. Tuning becomes a factor. More boost, less timing. JDM runs only 11deg timing w/20psi on his 10sec. KB powered motors. Sometimes less really is more.

00Bolt
04-06-2004, 09:13 AM
ya i may consider going to a 6lb then... im only running 12deg on my street side...

his chip is also a preditor... not sure how he has it tuned though... he may be on the dangerous side

03LightningRocks
04-06-2004, 09:31 AM
ya i may consider going to a 6lb then... im only running 12deg on my street side...

his chip is also a preditor... not sure how he has it tuned though... he may be on the dangerous side

Scott,

How many pounds of boost are you getting right now?

Rocks:beer:

00Bolt
04-06-2004, 10:36 AM
only 12 ???? :confused:

StormShadow
04-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Weak! Don't mess with this DSG or you'll be posting that your truck ain't runnin right again. :evil

L8 APEX
04-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Each lb of boost yields about 10/10 to the rear. I am also working on a formula that equates lb-engine life. It seems up to +4lbs takes about 20K off the engine life while +6lbs or more takes about 40K miles offknana .

03LightningRocks
04-06-2004, 10:59 AM
With the porting and a 4lb lower, you should be seeing more. I don't know what to tell you to do.

Did you check to make sure the butterfly in the back of the supercharger was not sticking open?

Rocks

03LightningRocks
04-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Each lb of boost yields about 10/10 to the rear. I am also working on a formula that equates lb-engine life. It seems up to +4lbs takes about 20K off the engine life while +6lbs or more takes about 40K miles offknana .

That is interesting info Terry. How did you come up with the numbers?

Rocks

00Bolt
04-06-2004, 11:11 AM
i ordered 2 new SC gaskets from Ford dealer and some new spark plugs... gonna change them out this weekend and while its all apart, gonna check that butterfly... and check my actuator too

andy_cain
04-06-2004, 01:14 PM

Predictive calculations on longevity based on added boost....who'da thunk it :eek:

So, on an average, what is the life expectancy of the "L" motor; and is year a factor?

Does adding the E-fan add to its life expectancy kind of like if you quit smoking? :rll:

Using that same assumption, does that mean that a 10 pound lower would put a new "L" into middle age?

I do believe that added boost CAN decrease longevity....BUT, the greater factor might be "sustained duration of boost" and frequency of boost.

Interesting theory that indeed needs to be researched over more Crown

:bows

blueoval01
04-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Interesting theory that indeed needs to be researched over more Crown

:bows I'd be interested in that research because I'm thinking about buying:
... A new chip. Unless I can find a chip laying out on the street, but it's For Sale on e-bay.
... A boat. Unless I can find a boat that fits in my truck bed on e-bay.
... A trailer for the boat. Unless I can find a trailer that fits in my truck bed on e-bay.
... Some slicks. Unless I can find some on the side of the road and are listed on e-bay.
... Some wheels. Unless I can find some on the side of the road next to the slicks and are listed on e-bay.
... A Hoe for the passenger seat. And she brings her own seat and center console.
... Another Ported SC that I can install on top of my existing. Unless I can find 2 mounted side-by-side, ON E-BAY.
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes: