PDA

View Full Version : Guage Pod Question

TXBLU
07-11-2002, 02:56 PM
O.K., I've decided which guages to run, but what about a 3-hole pod? Does anybody have one that is already finished to match the L interior trim? If not, where is the best place to get the paint for it? I would like a high quality pod for the Phantom guages. Thanks guys!:cool:

Crawford
07-11-2002, 03:08 PM
I would leave the pod black. It matches the two tone black/grey interrior of the truck. I left mine black and it looks groovy baby yeah!!!

tliss
07-11-2002, 03:39 PM
Terry (L8 APEX) would know the answer.

Tom

Mark #2
07-11-2002, 04:13 PM
Crawford,
Whose pod and guages? Which gauges? Going tonite?

Crawford
07-11-2002, 04:21 PM
Mark!!! How are ya man, hope things are going well!

Yep going to be at the meeting tonight.

I dont have a triple pod, just a single with a Autometer phantom boost gauge. The pod is also Autometer. I love the setup it cost me about 80 bucks for the whole thing and took only a few minutes to install. I wouldnt mind having a triple pod but I hear the lean/rich gauge is worthless and I am not worried about the water temps so that just left the boost gauge. I will let ya have a look tonight! You are going right??

L8 APEX
07-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Auto Meter Gauge Works is the pod company. They are WAY behind right now I have about 6 on backorder:rolleyes: I use a light gray interior paint it matches pretty close you can see mine and a few cutomers trucks tonight:tu:

Mark #2
07-11-2002, 04:37 PM
I'll be there.

Logan
07-11-2002, 05:17 PM
I'll be there for a very short time...

TXBLU
07-11-2002, 05:22 PM
AAHHHGGG!!!!
Thursdays KILL me! I work afternoons and have Wednesdays off. I sure would love to see somebody else's pod/guage set-up. Any of you guys going to Wizard's on Friday? The Emerald City Band in playing there. They are at Cool River tonight. I'll be at Wizard's for sure, have to talk the wife into C.R. tonight. Thanks for the info guys!:burnout:

andy_cain
07-11-2002, 09:43 PM
Ya mean one that looks like this....:banana:

All Auto Meter white faced Phantom gauges
Grey Pillar Pod

Ivanhoe_Farms
07-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Truck 4446 has a two guage pilar pod with boost and water temp. The only problem is if you mount it at the right height, the upper cutout for the handle shows, so one has to be creative to cover it up or get a single guage pod to be viewed by giants or something:D

TXBLU
07-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Andy,
That looks like the ticket! Is that the set-up from Auto-Meter? Did you have to paint that? I was thinking about a boost/ volts/ air-fuel combo. Is the air-fuel guage really worthless? If so, does anybody have a suggestion for an alternative? I want something that will truly be useful. Thanks!:)

andy_cain
07-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Yes, it is all Auto Meter and is painted to match the L's grey interior.
Right now it has Water temp, Boost and Oil Pressure in it. All are the Phantom white faced gauges.
I was considering the AFR gauge but then asked myself what would i do if I had a bad AFR reading. As often as I dyno my L, I get a good idea of where the AFR runs from the dyno printouts.
I liked the idea of the water temp as the factory gauge does not show numbers and the odometer trick will only show it in celcius degrees and I can not convert on the fly from F to C.
I think the boost is a must have and thought that oil pressure might help to point out potential problems through variances in daily driving.
I still may opt for an AFR gauge in a colum mount configuration.
I personally liked the factory color Pillar as IMHO it will make for a cleaner looking install and won't look so much like an afterthought.
This pillar actually replaces your factory pillar so your truck can be put back to original at any point.
As you can see, installation of the sending units and running the wiring is a bit of a challenge and I have not installed mine yet.
The white Phantom gauges are a close match to the factory gauge look as well. :D
IMHO a volt gauge would be of no use, the odometer trick does show the voltage very well, mine consistantly runs 17-18 above idle and 16-17 at idle. Just my .02 Cents

Mark #2
07-12-2002, 09:35 AM
Crawford,
Part numbers, are these correct?

Pod= 105-15305
2-5/8'' Single, 98-00 F150/F250 and Expedition $19.99

Guage= 105-5801
Boost 30 InHg/20 psi $48.99

TXBLU
07-12-2002, 10:06 AM
Does the pod come painted to match? If not, where did you get the paint? Those are the 2 1/16" guages, right?

andy_cain
07-12-2002, 11:43 AM
No, the pods usually come in black and need to be painted.
In all honnest, I bought mine from someone on the F-150 classifieds with all the gauges and hardware installed in the Pillar and already painted.
Think I paid $205.00 for the whole set up.
Before you get too deep into it, you might want to ask Terry about what it costs to "hookup" the sending units and run the wires...that will answer why I haven't installed mine yet.
I can't even find a hole in the firewall to run the wires through, nor am I sure where the best place to mount the sending units would be.
Hell, I may end up just selling mine if I can't find a way to get it installed and look top notch.
It came prewired from the gauges back.

TXBLU
07-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Well, I hope you get it all sorted out and installed. If you do decide to sell that set-up, I might be interested. Let me know. Does anybody else know where to get the correct paint?:confused:

L8 APEX
07-12-2002, 05:30 PM
I hate to see scotch locks instead of solder and tape connections.

andy_cain
07-12-2002, 05:40 PM
I hate to see it sitting on my office floor because it will likely end up costing as much to install it as I paid for it.
It does look cool sitting next to my other uninstalled mods...keyless door mod, I think they measure the carpet static right now...:hammer:

KJ94GT
07-12-2002, 10:36 PM
All you're needing installed is the boost gauge and water temp? Cmon man! Those aren't difficult to install! Who's quoting you these prices for labor?

andy_cain
07-13-2002, 09:54 AM
It is Boost, Water Temp and Oil Pressure gauges.
I have had (2) quotes for the work...
1) $200.00
2) $150.00
:crying: :crying: :crying:

I would be willing to Zaino someones L if they were willing to trade labor for labor...I would even supply all of the Zaino products myself.;)