PDA

View Full Version : anyone use a DiabloSport Predator Tuner

travis5000_99
04-14-2004, 11:29 AM
Have a chance to buy one at a decent price.... is it worth it, what kind of HP/TQ gains are typical with these???

YA or Na??

Avalanche
04-14-2004, 11:33 AM
I run onw and I have had no problems with it I like the fact tht I can adjust it at the track if need be. It depends on the price remember that when you need a custom tune you will have to pay for it unless you get with James at RWTD and then he will charge you 75 clamps and then your custom tunes are free after that. Just my .02 but I like mine.

Brent

travis5000_99
04-14-2004, 11:56 AM
I was talkn to a guy at starbucks with a HD & he said he got 60HP!! off of it, could this be true or just bs?? Im not lookn for a custom tune or another chip right now, does it have settings that I could ajust myself that will give me noticable gains??
Thanks for you input man :D

Avalanche
04-14-2004, 12:03 PM
It has alittle noticeable gains from the factory tune, I am not sure about the 60 HP gain though. I have seen around 30 to 40 in the ones that I have seenj ust running the tune that comes in the Predator. I am running a custom tune and I have yet to get to a dyno to see what I am doing. What I really like about hte Predator is the data logging I can see what almost all my setting are and how they are working.

Avalanche
04-14-2004, 12:05 PM
Yea you can adjust the A/F, timing, shift firmness, and a couple of more that I can not remeber right now. I live in Garland and I see you live in Rowlett if you want PM me and we can hook up and I can show you mine.

travis5000_99
04-14-2004, 12:06 PM
WEll, I know I'd feel 30-40 hp.... Bottom line... Is it worth 350 bones!?!?
I want more power without sacrificeing the reliability I Love from this truck...

Avalanche
04-14-2004, 12:15 PM
350 is not bad I paid 430 for mine but that was with custom tunes. So I would say that 350 is worth it. You have to be careful though when you are setting it you need to know how everything works in conjunction with one another.
I would say get it. Is it new?
Brent

travis5000_99
04-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Yeah, its new...
As far as things working together... What would I have to watch out for?? Do's & Donts...
Im not a racer, just want more power, naturally.. & I dont want to screw up my motor...

Avalanche
04-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Well if you don't race here then you really don't have to worry about anything going boom in a sense. The one thing I would watch for is that your A/F stays around 11.2 or so that is a good safe number. If you don't mess with the A/F in the tune that is in the Predator and just play with the timing you should be fine. If you want I can give you instustions on how I tune mine I run four different tunes for different applications. Street, Strip street with spray and strip with spray. You will want you timing to be around 14 degrees advanced on the street that will help you right there. There are little adjustments that you can do to help you out. I will be more than happy to sit down with you and show you how I do mine just let me know if you get it.

What year is your L? What is your computer code it will be in the passager door jam on a white sticker.

travis5000_99
04-14-2004, 12:49 PM
its a 99' Dont know the code off the top of my head....
Yes Id love some help, I will have to letcha know when It comes in...

Avalanche
04-14-2004, 01:22 PM
No problem I live close to Club Hill if you know were that is.

Avalanche
04-14-2004, 01:24 PM
With a 99 we can do more adjustments than I can on my 01 with the Predator. I program Ken Cryders L if that tells you anything. His is also a 99.

travis5000_99
04-14-2004, 01:29 PM
Great... Thanks for you help & input man... Im gonna go ahead and order it then..
By the way, where do you plug it in at?? Do you keep that thing on your dash, & can you change the settings on the fly??

Avalanche
04-14-2004, 03:10 PM
You plug it in into the ECMP port that us under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. You have to turn the truck off and then it takes about 3 to 5 mins to chnages the programs. I do not leave mine plugged in unless I want to get some data off of it.

03'svtlight
04-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Great... Thanks for you help & input man... Im gonna go ahead and order it then..
By the way, where do you plug it in at?? Do you keep that thing on your dash, & can you change the settings on the fly??
I think its a great piece. I dyno'd 355hp/429tq. before, to 395/485tq. Went from 8.60's in the 1/8, to 8.20's. And this is with the "stock" pulley tune. :D

L8 APEX
04-14-2004, 11:45 PM
350 + 75-100 for retuning will cost more than a new programmer...

travis5000_99
04-15-2004, 07:24 AM
What do you mean re-tuning?? My chip??
I thaught you could just plug that thing & you tell it you want more power, more or less, without having to replace or retune the chip....

L8 APEX
04-15-2004, 08:19 AM
It must be loaded with the correct program for your truck then you flash it into your truck. It is basically a fancy chip with scanning features.

travis5000_99
04-15-2004, 08:27 AM
I guess im a little confused.... I was under the assumption that the programer allready had some pre-set programs ect.... you can use instead of a custom program..
I can barely afford the programer but not another 75-100 bucks... :-(

03'svtlight
04-15-2004, 08:58 AM
It has pre-set programs (2). one for a pulley and one without. Some say 17deg. adv. timing is too hot for the street. I beg to differ on that one. Thats where all of the "custom tune" stuff is coming from. You can even back it off to about 15deg. with tuner itself. :cool:

ken cryder
04-16-2004, 12:07 AM
I guess im a little confused.... I was under the assumption that the programer allready had some pre-set programs ect.... you can use instead of a custom program..
I can barely afford the programer but not another 75-100 bucks... :-(
travis on the 99 lightning you have more options than the newer lightnings . you have pre set tunes
1, stock
2, with a pulley
3, with a pulley and a 90mm MAF off a newer lightning
4, performance pulley using lower grade gas 91

then you have perameters you can change on each tune .here are some of the perameters
1, axle ratio
2, idle speed
3, obdII, rear o2s all o2s on/off
4, egr on /off
5, rev limit
6, spark advance
7, rpm shift point
8, shift firmness
9, tire size
10, a/f

also it reads 400 troubles codes that your truck can throw and allows you to diagnos , and locate the part that failed . then clear and reset the service engine light .

sense avalanche got his first i have been letting him show me what he has learned . and we share my laptop to keep up with our tunes and what track .

hope this helps

ken

pimps_r_us69420
04-19-2004, 06:25 PM
You can look at [URL=http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightning.htm ]they have some pretty good deals on the predator programmer with other stuff. I baught the boost package and it is really worth it.I also have a qusetion for anyone. I have a 02 lightning with a predator programmer,4lb lower pulley,boost by-pass and 160 temp thermastat. I just baught magnaflow exhaust and c&l mass air and cold air kit. Do I need to change my tune? I'm using the pulley tune now.

ken cryder
04-19-2004, 07:41 PM
You can look at [URL=http://www.rpmoutlet.com/lightning.htm ]they have some pretty good deals on the predator programmer with other stuff. I baught the boost package and it is really worth it.I also have a qusetion for anyone. I have a 02 lightning with a predator programmer,4lb lower pulley,boost by-pass and 160 temp thermastat. I just baught magnaflow exhaust and c&l mass air and cold air kit. Do I need to change my tune? I'm using the pulley tune now.
only if the maf is bigger than your stock one .i believe . check the diablo sport tuning web site and they can tell you .

03'svtlight
04-19-2004, 10:43 PM
only if the maf is bigger than your stock one .i believe . check the diablo sport tuning web site and they can tell you .
I have a pro-95mm with the pulley tune and its ok.. Have'nt had a problem yet. :beer:

03LightningRocks
04-19-2004, 11:22 PM
You guys are all talking of different scenarios and nobody has asked the originator of this thread if the Predator he is looking at is for the 99-00 or is it for the 2001 up.

He is going to have to pay for a custom tune if the one he buys is set up for a 2001 up. He has a 99 Lightning.

Rocks:tu:

L8 APEX
04-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Ice Treis' truck does run well on it. Though generally the aftermarket MAFs require custom tunes do to their individual characteristics. No two aftermarket MAFs read alike...

03LightningRocks
04-19-2004, 11:27 PM
Ice Treis' truck does run well on it. Though generally the aftermarket MAFs require custom tunes do to their individual characteristics. No two aftermarket MAFs read alike...
:tu: :tu: :tu:

And don't forget that the more boost and/or power you make, the more this statement becomes true.