PDA

View Full Version : Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of '03-'04 L?

WA 2 FST
04-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Guys,

Need some help from '03-'04 owners. I took a look at a sticker off an '04 L and it said it had a GVWR of 6050lbs. Seemed kind of high to me, so I went and looked at the sticker on the driver's side door jamb of my '99. Sure enough it is 5450lbs GVWR.

Would one of you be so kind as to look on the inside of your door jamb and find the GVWR for me? I'd be most appreciative.

Since my L is used in business this could have some very important consequences should I decide to trade up to an '03-'04 model.

Thanks!

Sandman
04-14-2004, 07:02 PM
The 03-04 L's have a higher towing capacity. Thats why they sit higher in the rear.

Band
04-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Guys,

Need some help from '03-'04 owners. I took a look at a sticker off an '04 L and it said it had a GVWR of 6050lbs. Seemed kind of high to me, so I went and looked at the sticker on the driver's side door jamb of my '99. Sure enough it is 5450lbs GVWR.

Would one of you be so kind as to look on the inside of your door jamb and find the GVWR for me? I'd be most appreciative.

Since my L is used in business this could have some very important consequences should I decide to trade up to an '03-'04 model.

Thanks!

My door says 6050lbs.. 04

They increased payload in 03. The only thing they changed where the springs. That's why the 03-04's sit a lil higher...

If you need more payload, there are other ways of getting it on your truck to where you wouldn't have to buy an 03-04, unless you just want a reason hehe...

L1nt2B
04-14-2004, 07:04 PM
My 03 says GVWR 6050lb. but I know for a fact that it didn't weigh that much.

Band
04-14-2004, 07:08 PM
GVWR = 6050
actual weight = 4800
the difference is what you can load it up too. which is why they call it a half ton pickup :tu:

WA 2 FST
04-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Thanks guys! This is very helpful, and good news for me.

I didn't realize the '03-04 allowed more payload capacity. That's cool, but doesn't affect my buying decision. I never paid a lot of attention, but I thought the new ones sat a little higher in the back than the older trucks. Not that it matters. I lowered my '99 two inches all the way around, and I'll do the same with the new one if I get one.

However, any business vehicle over 6000GVWR is allowed a full 100% tax deduction (assuming its a business-only vehicle) in the first year up to $100,000.

I run my own company, and my L is my company truck...and yes, its legit. I've got 2 other cars to drive when not conducting business. I don't need it to haul a lot of stuff, but I've made good use of my spray-in bedliner. Being a landlord, it has paid for itself 100x over b/c the truck still looks great and I do haul lots of tools, etc. In fact, I'm the guy you might laugh at if you ever see an L owner with a lawnmower in the bed (only on rare occassions, but it happens). That's what I love about this truck. IMHO, its a REAL SUV.

anyway, 100% deduction in year 1 on a $33k MSRP truck is a nice tax savings for me. The catch is that it has to be over 6000GVWR, and I guess the new ones are. :D

Silver_2000
04-14-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks guys! This is very helpful, and good news for me.

I didn't realize the '03-04 allowed more payload capacity. That's cool, but doesn't affect my buying decision. I never paid a lot of attention, but I thought the new ones sat a little higher in the back than the older trucks. Not that it matters. I lowered my '99 two inches all the way around, and I'll do the same with the new one if I get one.

However, any business vehicle over 6000GVWR is allowed a full 100% tax deduction (assuming its a business-only vehicle) in the first year up to $100,000.

I run my own company, and my L is my company truck...and yes, its legit. I've got 2 other cars to drive when not conducting business. I don't need it to haul a lot of stuff, but I've made good use of my spray-in bedliner. Being a landlord, it has paid for itself 100x over b/c the truck still looks great and I do haul lots of tools, etc. In fact, I'm the guy you might laugh at if you ever see an L owner with a lawnmower in the bed (only on rare occassions, but it happens). That's what I love about this truck. IMHO, its a REAL SUV.

anyway, 100% deduction in year 1 on a $33k MSRP truck is a nice tax savings for me. The catch is that it has to be over 6000GVWR, and I guess the new ones are. :D
Lots of folks did that this year... I almost did ...

If you pay MSRP you are crazy Wes...

Dont be a stranger

Doug

WA 2 FST
04-15-2004, 08:12 AM
Doug,

I don't know if I'm going to do it. Just something to consider. I wouldn't pay close to MSRP, but I see where I implied that in my last post. There are a lot of trucks just in the DFW area. I went to Baton Rouge to get my Z06. I'll shop for a good deal. ;)

I doubt I can get x-plan pricing (~$28,500), though. I was thinking right at $30k would be good. Of course, I have to sell/trade my own truck which complicates things. For a clean '99 w/ 43k miles I'd hope to get 16k.

03'svtlight
04-15-2004, 08:20 AM
Doug,

I don't know if I'm going to do it. Just something to consider. I wouldn't pay close to MSRP, but I see where I implied that in my last post. There are a lot of trucks just in the DFW area. I went to Baton Rouge to get my Z06. I'll shop for a good deal. ;)

I doubt I can get x-plan pricing (~$28,500), though. I was thinking right at $30k would be good. Of course, I have to sell/trade my own truck which complicates things. For a clean '99 w/ 43k miles I'd hope to get 16k.
There are two demos, both 02's (RED,SILVER) at the dealer by me. They have been there for awhile and I know for a fact they can be bought for around 24-25 grand. I also know a guy who works there. :beer: