PDA

View Full Version : All by myself at MSR

ShadowBolt
04-17-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm doing the Drivers Edge this weekend and I am the only L in attendance. Usually there is at least one other. I did meet a young lady in a new 04 L that said she was a member of Talon (new member) but she was not signed up to drive. If you don't have anything better to do tomorrow come out and see me.

Jerry

Band
04-17-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm doing the Drivers Edge this weekend and I am the only L in attendance. Usually there is at least one other. I did meet a young lady in a new 04 L that said she was a member of Talon (new member) but she was not signed up to drive. If you don't have anything better to do tomorrow come out and see me.

Jerry

most of the available racers are gonna be at denton dragway tomorrow...

ShadowBolt
04-17-2004, 08:49 PM
the school is full so I thought maybe someone might come out just to watch. lots of cool cars....even a lambo

L8 APEX
04-17-2004, 09:01 PM
This group is full of short trackers:D Last time I drove out to a DE class nobody even waved at me.

ShadowBolt
04-17-2004, 09:43 PM
I was there (at MSR) back in March but I never saw you...if you were driving your L. You posted about seeing a red L but I was there in my 03 DSG. I wish I could drive a Vette on this track. I think in 06 I will trade the L for a new Vette. I really like doing the road course but the L (even with all I've done) can't touch a good driver in a Vette. I found this out today after getting moved up to the Yellow run group. In the Blue run group I could always run and hide from the Vettes.

Jerry

Tex Arcana
04-17-2004, 09:59 PM
I was there (at MSR) back in March but I never saw you...if you were driving your L. You posted about seeing a red L but I was there in my 03 DSG. I wish I could drive a Vette on this track. I think in 06 I will trade the L for a new Vette. I really like doing the road course but the L (even with all I've done) can't touch a good driver in a Vette. I found this out today after getting moved up to the Yellow run group. In the Blue run group I could always run and hide from the Vettes.

Jerry

"03DSG"??? :confused:

I was out there MArch 21st with DFW SVTOA, the only L out ther as well, and had a blast... ;)

PICS! WE NEED PICS!

L8 APEX
04-17-2004, 10:00 PM
MSR is not a L track or a horsepower track by any means. Most records are held by Miatas:hammer: . Don't get discouraged by truck times there. I had a shop out there for 2 years and drove the track alomst every weekend. I ran down many of babby Archers porshe's out there. But when we came out of Big bend into rattlesnake the truck just lost the time. But on the back end from Little bend to the big bend straight I could pull them quite well. Also that track is meant to be run counter CCW and at the last class they were running clockwise CW. Thay track sucks clockwise it is blind and trys to pitch you off. It is bad enough CCW with all of the off camber turns that try to slide you off. It is a cute little track but don't let it discourage you. As for the vette there are a lot more folks with vettes that are badass. I feel slow when I get in a vette and run with the NASA guys out there they smoke it up! The L is a lot easier to drive fast than the vette. The C5 reacts a lot faster and comes out a lot faster than the L. The C5 is a world class sports car and has very high limits. It will definately increase your driving skill compared to the slow acting truck. I just enjoy tracking the truck:tu:

Aggie Mom
04-17-2004, 10:20 PM

Jerry

That was me and my son (true blue aggie) showed up later. I'm not going tomorrow, cause I'm already home. My friends are instructors for the Drivers Edge (they had the NSX's; DAL motorsports) and had nice things to say about your truck and driving.

P.S. Your truck is mighty fine.

Tex Arcana
04-17-2004, 10:34 PM
MSR is not a L track or a horsepower track by any means. Most records are held by Miatas:hammer: . Don't get discouraged by truck times there. I had a shop out there for 2 years and drove the track alomst every weekend. I ran down many of babby Archers porshe's out there. But when we came out of Big bend into rattlesnake the truck just lost the time. But on the back end from Little bend to the big bend straight I could pull them quite well. Also that track is meant to be run counter CCW and at the last class they were running clockwise CW. Thay track sucks clockwise it is blind and trys to pitch you off. It is bad enough CCW with all of the off camber turns that try to slide you off. It is a cute little track but don't let it discourage you. As for the vette there are a lot more folks with vettes that are badass. I feel slow when I get in a vette and run with the NASA guys out there they smoke it up! The L is a lot easier to drive fast than the vette. The C5 reacts a lot faster and comes out a lot faster than the L. The C5 is a world class sports car and has very high limits. It will definately increase your driving skill compared to the slow acting truck. I just enjoy tracking the truck:tu:

When I ran it, it was running CCW, and you're right, it would suck the other way... ;)

It's a very technical track, and it test's a driver's patience as much as his or her skill. Picking and using the right lines are exceptionally important, as well as controlling power application.

What got my attention was how easy it was to balance the L at the edge of grip.. I only looped it once, and I'm still not sure why I coudn't collect it (and no video of it, so I"m screwed on that, too :()

I got to flog a z06 at Autoworld in Motion at TMS a couple months back, and even tho they didn't let us get out of 2nd, I found it surprisingly easy to hang the tail out and balance it on the edge. And I can se how it can push on'es limits as a driver. But balancing a larger, slower vehicle can be instrctive as well, if only because it requires much more finesse to make a L go fast.

ShadowBolt
04-17-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the kind words Cathy. Sorry i did not get to talk to you more.

The thing that upsets me the most about the L is the rear end. The inside (light) tire goes up in smoke every time I try to get in the gas on exit. I really have to act like I have an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. If I could get the power to both rear wheels I feel I could hang with all but the best one or two drivers in the yellow group. Toward the end of a session the Hoosiers go to pot on the rear because I spin them so much.

Terry,
How much air do you run in your Hoosiers? I tried 37 front and 35 rear but the pressure was going up eight PSI by the end of a run. I ended the day at 35 front and 32 rear (these are cold temps).

Jerry

L8 APEX
04-17-2004, 10:51 PM
There are physics that I cannot explain well but it is easier to drive the L at its speed than a sports car at its limits. The truck has a much slower response and resistance to change of direction. A car is much more twictchy and flickable. I have raced both L's and C5's it is much easier to go fast in the L. Partly because the vette is going about 10-20mph faster and at it's nearly 1G limit is a lot faster to get ugly than a pokey .85G truck. I stayed with the trucks partly because it is a lot easier for me to be competitve in trucks than all the money ballers in cars. You put 20K in a L and you are king of the hill, 20K in a C5 is only a mild package I have had 3 now..

L8 APEX
04-17-2004, 10:56 PM
You have to let it settle before you get on the gas. With sway bars it will unload the inside tire beyond the capacity of the posi diff. I usually start around 36 front and 34 rear. I shu polish the walls to check for roll over. I have gained up to 14psi running hot laps at TMS in July. I thought of switching to Nitrogen to counter expansion. I try to stay wit ha 2-3lb stagger f-r.

ShadowBolt
04-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks, Terry,
I'm off to bed. If you have a chance, come by tomorrow.

Jerry

L8 APEX
04-17-2004, 11:07 PM
I may roll the Z out of the barn:evil

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15SWZ06top.jpg Anyone want to roll:burnout:

Tex Arcana
04-17-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words Cathy. Sorry i did not get to talk to you more.

The thing that upsets me the most about the L is the rear end. The inside (light) tire goes up in smoke every time I try to get in the gas on exit. I really have to act like I have an egg between my foot and the gas pedal. If I could get the power to both rear wheels I feel I could hang with all but the best one or two drivers in the yellow group. Toward the end of a session the Hoosiers go to pot on the rear because I spin them so much.

Terry,
How much air do you run in your Hoosiers? I tried 37 front and 35 rear but the pressure was going up eight PSI by the end of a run. I ended the day at 35 front and 32 rear (these are cold temps).

Jerry

That sounds to me like your LSD isn't working right.. :(

L8 APEX
04-17-2004, 11:13 PM
The issue is that its only a LSD not a locker, spool, or Torsen. There is only about 5-800lbs preload on the clutches side to side. When you are banking hard and transferring thousands of lbs of traction to the outside wheels the posi cannot overcome the differnence in traction. A downfall of posi's but nobody makes a HD unit for our trucks. Even the Eaton posi is only rated for 350-400ft lbs:rll: :hammer:

Tex Arcana
04-17-2004, 11:25 PM
You have to let it settle before you get on the gas. With sway bars it will unload the inside tire beyond the capacity of the posi diff. I usually start around 36 front and 34 rear. I shu polish the walls to check for roll over. I have gained up to 14psi running hot laps at TMS in July. I thought of switching to Nitrogen to counter expansion. I try to stay wit ha 2-3lb stagger f-r.

I never had that problem, with the wheelspin. But maybe I was more controlled with it. I do know it felt like I was hammering it pretty hard, especially thru 5-6-7 and 8. I was also runing 43 at someone's suggestion, and it held find at that pressure, no pressure increases. The only problem was the brakes, and I suspect it was a sorry bleed job.

Tex Arcana
04-18-2004, 08:51 PM
The issue is that its only a LSD not a locker, spool, or Torsen. There is only about 5-800lbs preload on the clutches side to side. When you are banking hard and transferring thousands of lbs of traction to the outside wheels the posi cannot overcome the differnence in traction. A downfall of posi's but nobody makes a HD unit for our trucks. Even the Eaton posi is only rated for 350-400ft lbs:rll: :hammer:

Any Torsen units out there?

L8 APEX
04-18-2004, 11:29 PM
They had it on there website for release in Summer 04 I think may be worth checking again...

Tex Arcana
04-19-2004, 10:15 AM
They had it on there website for release in Summer 04 I think may be worth checking again...

WHo's "they"??

L8 APEX
04-19-2004, 10:39 AM
Uh Torsen.

Tex Arcana
04-19-2004, 09:28 PM
Uh Torsen.

DOH! *slapping head* :hammer: Dummy me.. got linkage?