PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Lightning #5

Sixpipes
04-22-2004, 09:14 PM
Check it out. I will be going to San Antonio on Saturday to pick up my third Lightning. :D I am keeping the Red Gen I pretty much stock for now and will be doing stuff to this black 93 as I get funds. I've got some ideas that I would like to try so it should be interesting and a lot of FUN. Plans are to finish it next summer (05). It is going to be kind of a memorial to my friend's son Jordan, who was killed earlier this year in a motocross accident. As you can tell, this thing is pretty rough, but the price was right. :cool:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/8picture_31.jpg
I don't forsee needing a roll cage when I'm done (sub 12s), but you never know. :burnout:

Razor
04-22-2004, 09:16 PM
:eek: What happened to it?? lol

Sixpipes
04-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Well, I like the red one the way it is so instead of replacing perfectly good parts, I decided to replace parts that weren't so perfect. Besides, that little red 93 is a pretty darn good bracket truck. We do need to talk about MSD ignition and heads/intake though. :burnout:

blueoval01
04-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Argg, now we know why you were cleaning out the garage. :rolleyes:
That's gonna be a project for sure ......
Look forward to the results. :tu:

99WhiteBeast
04-22-2004, 09:58 PM
You boys are sick- in a good way:tongue:

Ivanhoe_Farms
04-22-2004, 10:05 PM
OK Sixpipes, what year is it, I hope it is a '95 Black so I can buy a RED truck, because RED really is the fastest color.

Congrats to both you and Flatsman.:beer:

I am looking forward to the Flatsman Supercharger against Sixpipes and the bottle. It should make for some really interesting racing.

Sixpipes, you may as well buy RAZOR's Mustang because it has all of the good parts that would swap right into the Gen 1.:nana2 knana

Sixpipes
04-22-2004, 10:21 PM
OK Sixpipes, what year is it, I hope it is a '95 Black......Sorry, it's a 93, but it is black. Ronny and I are looking forward to messing with it in our spare time. I would like to chop the top about 2", but that may not fit into the budget. Color scheme will be black with metalic moss-green accents. With maybe a pair of Mickey Thompson Sportsmans in a 31X18.5-15LT on the back.:evil

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/images/sportsman_pro.gif

Flats Man
04-23-2004, 06:31 AM
Hey Dennis, Since this truck sounds like it is going to be real bad, and since it is black, I will give up my name of Brutus and let you have it for this truck. I can be Wimpy or Olive Oil or something else. Build us a good Brutus! We are some sick puppies! lol

Ivanhoe_Farms
04-23-2004, 08:21 AM
Sixer, I know where you can get the tools to chop the top and put it back together again. Let me know when you need the 9" rearend, I may have access to a few thousandknana

Flatsman, you can have sweet pea for your white baby -- I will be wimpy or something:bows

Sixer, get me a list of the parts you need, I am in 93-95 Ford heaven up here!!:twitch:

Flats Man
04-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Yo Sixer, You MUST chop the top! I think you could fund that little mod by selling some of Mrs. Sixpipes stuff! We will not tell under threat of death by Bouca Bouca or something. It really needs that chopped top!!!!!

Sixpipes
04-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Sitting in my neighbor's driveway right now. :cool:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/88broken1.jpg

Razor
04-24-2004, 06:27 PM
When the time comes, our welder at work may come in handy on the chop time. He's very xp and would cost next to nothing I assure.

Flats Man
04-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Hey Dennis and Ronnie, welcome back home. I think it is time for Ronnie to join Talon if he hasn't already done so. I am sure you can come up with a good user Name!

Sixpipes
04-24-2004, 07:36 PM
When the time comes, our welder at work may come in handy on the chop time. He's very xp and would cost next to nothing I assure.Next to nothing sounds interesting. :D I'm more concerned about how the windshield and window glass are fitted after the chop job. Still a little bit confused about how that works. :cool:

PoorSvtman
04-25-2004, 11:36 AM
Next to nothing sounds interesting. :D I'm more concerned about how the windshield and window glass are fitted after the chop job. Still a little bit confused about how that works. :cool:

When you chop a top you have to get new glass cut. ;)

PoorSvtman
04-25-2004, 11:38 AM

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/88broken1.jpg
I see that you have 2 gas doors on the bed. You gonna use one for race gas and the other for daily driving gas :evil

Sixpipes
04-25-2004, 11:43 AM
Never crossed my mind. :evil

Flats Man
04-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Can you have the existing glass cut down 2 inches for the chop? I would think that the side windows could be cut from the bottom. Maybe all 4 pieces could be cut from the bottom???

Mark #2
04-26-2004, 02:19 PM

Congrats on the new truck. But at this point, even I think you guys are nuts.:)
Why not start from scratch? instead of fixing problems. Pick up the Jegs and Summit catalogs and have at it, you'll wind up with something really cool then.
Markhttp://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/88broken1.jpg

Sixpipes
04-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Pick up the Jegs and Summit catalogs and have it, you'll wind up with something really cool then.
Mark
So does that mean you don't think I will wind up with something cool if I don't? :evil

Mark #2
04-26-2004, 02:29 PM
So does that mean you don't think I will wind up with something cool if I don't? :evilWell..the two fuel doors are not doing it for me, so far:)

Sixpipes
04-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Well..the two fuel doors are not doing it for me, so far:)
I don't know what you are talking about. :cool:

Sixpipes
04-26-2004, 03:24 PM
I've got in mind something like this here photoshop pic. :cool:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/8390252a1.jpg
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/8390252r.JPG

Top is chopped about 4". Both are dropped on 50 profile tires. :cool:

LonghornLightning
04-26-2004, 03:44 PM
It's a Gen 1 custom built for Leprechauns.....roof doesn't look very tall....hehe
:)
:rll:

Yes I know i'm a smartass, good luck though

Flats Man
04-26-2004, 03:46 PM
Dennis is going to sit on the floor with no seats in the truck! lol

Crawford
04-26-2004, 04:46 PM
I am not a big fan of the Gen1 chop top. Thats money that could be used for speed parts! :D

Mark #2
04-26-2004, 04:50 PM
I am not a big fan of the Gen1 chop top. Thats money that could be used for speed parts! :D
Actually, it is a speed part, wind resistance.

I haven't seen many chop tops that I thought looked very good. Always issues with glass fit, shape, weatherstripping, and trim. IMHO.

6er, I see you shaved the 2nd fuel door already, so already some progress.

Sixpipes
04-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Actually, it is a speed part, wind resistance.

I haven't seen many chop tops that I thought looked very good. Always issues with glass fit, shape, weatherstripping, and trim. IMHO.

6er, I see you shaved the 2nd fuel door already, so already some progress.Yeah, the chop top is a nice old-school idea, but in reality it may not be that cool. The pic above is a 4" chop that would put the roof right on top of my head. Actually makes the truck look like an older model S-10 from the side. But I do like the 50 profile tires instead of the 60s.

The truck went to the shop today to get a tune-up and compression check. If everything turns out OK, we will just be focusing on the cosmetic stuff. I still don't understand the second fuel door stuff. I think Mark needs to get out to Redline this Sunday and join us at the TMCC event. He's obviously been working too hard. :cool:

whitelightning'02
04-26-2004, 06:52 PM
Dennis,

The bed is for an F-250 that had 2 tanks. It's not an original bed.

Lee
:beer:

Razor
04-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Yes they are an eye sore...but all gen 1 are that way. You need a built 392 or 396 with 300 shot homey....I can see 750-800 hp off the trans brake nailin hi 10's with dat bad boy back-halfed!

99WhiteBeast
04-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Dennis,

Lee
All G1's have two tanks- not a real fan of the two doors but most people racing them have removed one of the tanks and fill the second door. You could also just have race gas in the second tank:tu:

Sixpipes
04-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Dennis,

Lee
:beer:I knew something didn't look quite right, but I'm really not too worried about finding the correct one. A regular 93-95 F-150 bed will work, right? :cool:

99WhiteBeast
04-26-2004, 08:38 PM
I knew something didn't look quite right, but I'm really not too worried about finding the correct one. A regular 93-95 F-150 bed will work, right? :cool:
I thought that body style was the same from like 89-96 as long as its a SWB-

whitelightning'02
04-26-2004, 09:21 PM
All G1's have two tanks- not a real fan of the two doors but most people racing them have removed one of the tanks and fill the second door. You could also just have race gas in the second tank:tu:
Ah.... I've only lusted over a G1.... and could only afford an F-250 back then....

Lee

Sixpipes
04-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Looks like the current bed is staying. Most of the ones I've found are dented and they go for around $800-$900 each with the tailgate. :eek: Besides, I did find out that all F-150 beds of that era were the same, so you are correct Steve. There was no Lightning specific bed, just a standard F-150 bed. :D

Sixpipes
04-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah, the truck is running like a top after replacing the MAP sensor. Also has an MSD coil that I didn't know about. :burnout:

Mark #2
04-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Yeah, the chop top is a nice old-school idea, but in reality it may not be that cool. The pic above is a 4" chop that would put the roof right on top of my head. Actually makes the truck look like an older model S-10 from the side. But I do like the 50 profile tires instead of the 60s.

The truck went to the shop today to get a tune-up and compression check. If everything turns out OK, we will just be focusing on the cosmetic stuff. I still don't understand the second fuel door stuff. I think Mark needs to get out to Redline this Sunday and join us at the TMCC event. He's obviously been working too hard. :cool:
I'll be at Redline, and on the fuel door stuff. Doesn't it seam odd to have two fuel doors? Does a Gen 1 have two tanks?

Mark

Sixpipes
04-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Dual tanks were standard for the Gen I. They have a front/back switch mounted on the dash just left of the steering wheel. :cool:

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/8Gen_I_5-med.JPG

Flats Man
04-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Yo Dennis, how many of the little black wheel caps do you have? I am missing three that I know of.
Do you have a source for these? I will try Ford tomorrow. I know that you can get "vulcanized" chrome ones out in California for about $20 each. I might have Randy make me 4 out of Billit!

Sixpipes
04-28-2004, 07:51 PM
If you decide to replace the stock ones, I've got 4 extra. On a side note, Gen I parts are really cheap. I got a tailgate, both taillights, front turn signal, and front running light for $200 (used of course). :cool:

99WhiteBeast
04-28-2004, 08:30 PM
If you decide to replace the stock ones, I've got 4 extra. On a side note, Gen I parts are really cheap. I got a tailgate, both taillights, front turn signal, and front running light for $200 (used of course). :cool:
Let me know if you need me to chase anything down-there's a really good Ford truck salvage yard in Kennedale just a few miles from my house

Sixpipes
04-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Let me know if you need me to chase anything down-there's a really good Ford truck salvage yard in Kennedale just a few miles from my house
Thanks Steve. All I have left to find is a front bumper/valance and a rear bumper. I'd prefer to find a tube bumper and modify it to fit below the tailgate like yours. :cool:

Flats Man
04-29-2004, 05:36 AM
OK Dennis, save those four caps for me. I still have a box of parts coming from my deal that I haven't seen yet and the caps may be in there. I also have a complete set of new brakes front and back. I will keep an eye out for a tube bumper. Congrats on finding your parts!

Hey Steve, thanks for the info about the parts at Kennedale. I just can't get over how cheap the Gen 1 stuff is after going through a Modular build up! I will be in the market for a good 2400 troque converter. I am planning to talk to Terry about that when I get the truck out there.

Ivanhoe_Farms
04-29-2004, 09:07 AM
Make sure that all the parts on the RED Gen1 are intact, because I don't want to be chasing any parts:nono: