PDA

View Full Version : Mods for an '04? Differences in '99 vs. '04?

WA 2 FST
04-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Pardon my ignorance, guys, but please realize that I don't do a lot of research regarding L's anymore b/c I don't hop mine up as much as most of you do.

I know that for each new model year there are different ECMs, and thus the tuners have to tweak the programming a bit. Is there already proven programming for the '04 trucks?

Reason I ask is b/c I am still seriously considering selling my '99 and getting an '04. However, I want to at least do all the same mods I've done to my '99...and I am not going to want to wait 6+ months to do them. My plan is not as radical as most. This _is_ my business vehicle, I do not race it, but without a chip and a shift kit, i wouldn't drive my '99 at all. IOW, there's no going back once even simple mods have been installed.

My plan would be this: CAI, 2psi pulley, chip/programming, shift kit, 2/3 drop, maybe a cat-back (I have Borla on my '99), custom stereo, Fikse FM 5 wheels (to match my Z06). I think these mods should get me to ~370-380rwhp or so.

Also, what are the differences mechanically b/w the '99 and the '04? I know the '04 sits higher in the back, has 3.73s vs. 3.55s, and an overhead console inside. I also know the '04 has a bigger MAF and inlet tube and a revised intercooler. But what about the engine and trans? I have heard that the '04 motors actually have weaker connecting rods. Is this a big deal for the minor performance mods I have planned?

Thanks a lot!

02BOLT
04-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Fikse FM 5 wheels (to match my Z06).

Wes, I could be wrong, but I don't believe Fikse makes a wheel with the L's bolt pattern(or any other truck/SUV for that matter). Nor does Kinesis. The only 3 piece forged modular wheel I could find that is offered for the L's is the HRE.

You could go with the HRE 645R with brushed spokes(5 star w/ Reverse Drop Center), and polished or chromed lip. That would look somewhat like the Fikse FM5.
Check here... www.hrewheels.com (http://www.hrewheels.com) Goodluck and have fun!knana

Later,
Rob:tu:

L8 APEX
04-23-2004, 11:05 PM
The tuning is available, no difference in the tranny other than minor internal changes, engines are abotu the same. Some say the blocks are thinner. The rear leafs are stiffer for the 1350 payload compared to 800. 99-00 are the same and 01-04 are esssentially the same. In 01 they changed the intake and intercooler, upgraded to the 90mm MAF, clear lenses, in 02 they added the keypad in the door. In 03 they added metal colored door handles. Other than that the basic components are the same.

WA 2 FST
04-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Rob and Terry,

Thanks for the info. This is helpful.

Rob, I could have sworn I've seen a Gen 2 L with Fikse FM5 wheels. Maybe not, though. You know a lot more about it than I do.

L8 APEX
04-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Fikse and Kenisis told me nobody would buy them so HRE was our only choice on Robs truck. Just get a nicer wheel for yoru C5 you cheap arse:D

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15HRE_wheelonly.jpg
Your Z should look like this:cool:
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/15Brembos_HREsmall.jpg

WA 2 FST
04-23-2004, 11:31 PM
:rll: Terry, that's a good one.

Honestly, i just like wheels without the rivets showing outside. It's clean and understated, which just goes with my peronsality I guess. I had FM5s on my old Mustang and bought some for the Z06.

I will have to go back and search the F150online forums, b/c I distinctly remember seeing one that looked _just_ like and FM5. I like Rob's Boyds, too. I have a very similar set on my '69 'vert in 17".

The HREs would look really nice. Are those on top the 645?

L8 APEX
04-23-2004, 11:45 PM
645R, 540's, See if I have a pic of 540R's.

L8 APEX
04-23-2004, 11:47 PM
And they're not rivets! They are Titainium or Chrome Stanless hardware:hammer: :tongue: You may be thinking of Tim's wheels. Moda's

02BOLT
04-24-2004, 11:25 AM
IMHO, the visible "hardware" looks really cool on the truck. Just has a more rugged/racy look to it. The HRE 640 series also has the "incognito" valve stem(try to find the valve stem in the pic of my(Black 645R's) old wheels above).;)

I know what you're saying about the CLEAN look of the Fikses though.:bows I had a set of them on my Silver 2000 WS6, and I fricking loved them. They MADE that car! They ain't so CHEAP either.:eek2:

Later,
Rob

Crawford
04-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Wes,

I have a #2 pulley off my 01 that would fit on that 04. You can have it free if you want it.

WA 2 FST
04-24-2004, 03:08 PM
Sam,

Thanks for the generous offer. I'll be in touch should I get an '04 truck. I found the salesman who sold me my '99 L and '00 Expy. I'm hoping he can do me right on an '04. He found a DSG one for me at another dealership, and I'm going to try and get my '99 over to him on Tuesday to have a look at.

Terry... sorry for calling them rivets. ;) I wasn't implying the HRE's are cheap. Of course they're not. I just like how Fikse puts the hardware on the inside. Cleaner look, easier to keep clean.

I will just have to research my options for wheels.