PDA

View Full Version : Formula One

Sixpipes
04-25-2004, 09:09 AM
Ho hum. Another win for Ferrari and Michael Schumacher. Congratulations for winning another race from the least competitive racing series in the world. Looks like Michael may run the table this year. :cool:

dboat
04-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Ho hum. Another win for Ferrari and Michael Schumacher. Congratulations for winning another race from the least competitive racing series in the world. Looks like Michael may run the table this year. :cool:

Dennis, I will quietly disagree. Watching Michael is like watching Jordan, Magic or Tiger Woods. He is the best there has ever been. He clearly intimidates the other drivers and his record will be unsurpassed. Other than him the race was quite competitive. I am not sure if he has the best car but he is able to get the very best out of it. I doubt that he will run the table but he may win the first 5 races and tie a record set by Nigel Mansell. This is the epitomy of auto racing.
Dana

Sixpipes
04-25-2004, 01:04 PM
Not saying Schumacher is not the best ever, not saying the cars aren't awesome, but I watched the race this morning and was bored to tears. The only decent competition was for 4th & 5th and the track was almost impossible to pass on. Just plain boring if you ask me. :cool:

dboat
04-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Not saying Schumacher is not the best ever, not saying the cars aren't awesome, but I watched the race this morning and was bored to tears. The only decent competition was for 4th & 5th and the track was almost impossible to pass on. Just plain boring if you ask me. :cool:

I can clearly understand that one.. and dont disagree. But I love that form of racing so much that it doesnt matter to me. I used to be a CART fan but I cant relate to any of the drivers anymore, and I just never got into IRL because I thought most of the drivers were second rate and I didnt think the cars were that wonderful. So that leaves me with F1 for open wheel racing. I like open wheel from a spectator standpoint because the guys have to drive around each other rather than "bump" each other all the time to get ahead.
IMHO.
Dana

REXRENEGADE
04-26-2004, 12:48 PM
Fastest cars (240mph +):eek: , most boring to watch :confused: , go figure. Michael
Schumacher :bows ought to try NASCAR :tu: , more competitive. I can promise you he would not win every race like he does in F1.
:throw:

Mark #2
04-26-2004, 01:35 PM
Dennis,
Yes, same old, same old, but it is still amazing to watch those cars corner and brake, especially into their pits, and just watch the the front jack man:eek2:

$$$$$$$$$ = Fast.

Tex Arcana
04-26-2004, 01:51 PM
Fastest cars (240mph +):eek: , most boring to watch :confused: , go figure. Michael
Schumacher :bows ought to try NASCAR :tu: , more competitive. I can promise you he would not win every race like he does in F1.
:throw:

Yeah, but only because each race is choreographed and scripted well ahead of time. :tongue:

Mark #2
04-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Yeah, but only because each race is choreographed and scripted well ahead of time. :tongue:Your not saying that because Tony Stewart said that they were yesterday are you? Or is it because Jeffy won?

Tex Arcana
04-26-2004, 02:00 PM
I can clearly understand that one.. and dont disagree. But I love that form of racing so much that it doesnt matter to me. I used to be a CART fan but I cant relate to any of the drivers anymore, and I just never got into IRL because I thought most of the drivers were second rate and I didnt think the cars were that wonderful. So that leaves me with F1 for open wheel racing. I like open wheel from a spectator standpoint because the guys have to drive around each other rather than "bump" each other all the time to get ahead.
IMHO.
Dana

I'm with you, the technology and capabilities of those cars are absolutely awesome. And even tho Schuey seems to be walking away with the season again, it's great that he almost single-handedly took Ferrari and turned them into the best team in racing.

The precision of the driving can't be argued, and road racing is clearly superior to oval racing, if only because it forces the drivers to *DRIVE*, not jsut turn left in a circle all day long. :rolleyes:

What was most poignant for me was that this was the 10th anniversary of the death of Ayrton Senna at that self-same track. He was one of the greatest drivers ever, if not the best. R.I.P. :(

Tex Arcana
04-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Your not saying that because Tony Stewart said that they were yesterday are you? Or is it because Jeffy won?

I've been saying this for almost 20 years now, since they went away from real cars and real sheetmetal, and turned it into a spec series. The points system is way out of control, the rumors of inspections and who passes and doesn't (where there's smoke, there's fire), and some of the really silly things that happen to ensure one wins and another doesn't (or at least APPEARS to happen), had me turned off to start with.

Now they have this goofy "race-off" or "playoff", which is fine for the NHL, but NOT for auto racing. And they have so totally divorced the racing vehicles form their namesakes that there's no real point in calling them that anymore.

So, yeah, just a little angst over what has happened to something that used to be great. And the driving isn't really all that difficult, as demonstrated by that seat swap between JPMontoya and Jeff Gordon.

Enough... just give me DTM/ETC/ATC racing, where the CARS are real, the RACING is real, and the DRIVERS are real as well.

Mark #2
04-26-2004, 02:35 PM
I've been saying this for almost 20 years now, since they went away from real cars and real sheetmetal, and turned it into a spec series. The points system is way out of control, the rumors of inspections and who passes and doesn't (where there's smoke, there's fire), and some of the really silly things that happen to ensure one wins and another doesn't (or at least APPEARS to happen), had me turned off to start with.

Now they have this goofy "race-off" or "playoff", which is fine for the NHL, but NOT for auto racing. And they have so totally divorced the racing vehicles form their namesakes that there's no real point in calling them that anymore.

So, yeah, just a little angst over what has happened to something that used to be great. And the driving isn't really all that difficult, as demonstrated by that seat swap between JPMontoya and Jeff Gordon.

Enough... just give me DTM/ETC/ATC racing, where the CARS are real, the RACING is real, and the DRIVERS are real as well.

I've thought that it has been rigged ever since Richard won when Reagan attended the race.

Mark

Sixpipes
04-26-2004, 03:00 PM
If NASCAR reverted back to using "showroom" vehicles like they did in the early days, I think the American public would have more performance oriented vehicles to select from. As it is, you have Taurus-V6 fwd, Intrepid-V6 fwd, Monte Carlo-V6 fwd, and the NASCAR guys are driving V8s with rwd. What's up with that?

I think they should have to drive the V-6 FWD cars around Talladega. You certainly wouldn't have to worry about restrictor plates. :cool:

As far as F-1 goes, I have always like the series, but it is just not the most exciting thing to watch right now, IMO. I was able to see the great Jimmy Clark drive his Lotus at Nurburgring when I was a kid so I have always had an interest in F-1.

Don't know how many of you guys saw the Jeff Gordon/Montoya thing at Indy last year, but the car comparison was absolutely hillarious. Like comparing a Z06 Vette to a minivan. :D

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/2003-06-11-gordon-montoya_x.htm

Tex Arcana
04-26-2004, 04:34 PM
If NASCAR reverted back to using "showroom" vehicles like they did in the early days, I think the American public would have more performance oriented vehicles to select from. As it is, you have Taurus-V6 fwd, Intrepid-V6 fwd, Monte Carlo-V6 fwd, and the NASCAR guys are driving V8s with rwd. What's up with that?

I think they should have to drive the V-6 FWD cars around Talladega. You certainly wouldn't have to worry about restrictor plates. :cool:

As far as F-1 goes, I have always like the series, but it is just not the most exciting thing to watch right now, IMO. I was able to see the great Jimmy Clark drive his Lotus at Nurburgring when I was a kid so I have always had an interest in F-1.

Don't know how many of you guys saw the Jeff Gordon/Montoya thing at Indy last year, but the car comparison was absolutely hillarious. Like comparing a Z06 Vette to a minivan. :D

Yeah, I saw that... Gordon had to have padding taped to the inside of Montoya's car's cockpit, becasue he couldn't hold his head up for the G-forces, and Montoya was lapping faster than GOrdon did in the NASCAR, and had a tire worn to the cords... :rll:

Id've killed to see racing in the old days... that would positively RULE... :D

dboat
04-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I saw that... Gordon had to have padding taped to the inside of Montoya's car's cockpit, becasue he couldn't hold his head up for the G-forces, and Montoya was lapping faster than GOrdon did in the NASCAR, and had a tire worn to the cords... :rll:

Id've killed to see racing in the old days... that would positively RULE... :D

Yes, but lest you forget that Gordon drove Montoyas car fast enough to have qualified for the F1 race at Indy. :tu: Jeffy may be the only guy in NASCAR to be able to make the leap to F1 because not many other Americans have done it. Villaneuve did it and won the F1 series a few years back. He is an American but only a North American since he is Canadien.
Dennis, my history watching F1 doesnt go back as far as yours but I wish it did. I have seen some of the best driving ever in F1. These guys are the very best and the rules are set up to only let the best drive in a race, not all comers like NASCAR. With open wheels, you best drive right or you end up flying through the air when they touch. Its still the very best to me.
Dana knana

Tex Arcana
04-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Yes, but lest you forget that Gordon drove Montoyas car fast enough to have qualified for the F1 race at Indy. :tu: Jeffy may be the only guy in NASCAR to be able to make the leap to F1 because not many other Americans have done it. Villaneuve did it and won the F1 series a few years back. He is an American but only a North American since he is Canadien.
Dennis, my history watching F1 doesnt go back as far as yours but I wish it did. I have seen some of the best driving ever in F1. These guys are the very best and the rules are set up to only let the best drive in a race, not all comers like NASCAR. With open wheels, you best drive right or you end up flying through the air when they touch. Its still the very best to me.
Dana knana

Yes, GOrdon did very well, considering. Denise McCluggage, columnist for Autoweek, suggested well over a year ago that GOrdon would be a natural for an F1 spot, both becasue of his talent, and his ability to swim the circus over there, he's a natural at both. However, itwill never come to pass, becasue of the HUGE leash GM has around his neck. :(

Jacque Villenueve has good genes, being the son of Gilles, a multi-champion in F1 before his death. HOwever, despite those genes, Jacques is a poison-pill, who never got it together after his lone championship; he nearly destoryed Jenson Button as a driver, and BAR/HOnda as a team, as seen by their MAJOR turnaround this year. Also, dont forget JOhn Andretti, who failed miserably in F1 because he couldn't deal with the circus over there.

Back in the mid-late 80's, Autoweek got Jackie Stewart to drive and compare the four major racing cars of the time: F1, Indy, NASCAR, and GT Prototypes. He started with the INdy car, and declared it fairly easy to drive, responsive, good downforce, etc, etc. HOwever, the next installment was with the F1 car, and he said it was like the difference between driving a Cadillac and a C5 Corvette: the F1 car was brutal, powerful, and had handling and grip that put the Indy car to shame. His conclusion was that it took a driver an order of magnitude better than the average Indy driver to drive the F1 car.

Stewart was right. ANd it remains the same today. The F1 cars require a level of skill that few people have. I have to wonder if Gordon could develop the ruthlessness necessary to make it in F1. Other than that, he could at least be competitive.

Mark #2
04-27-2004, 08:31 AM
And don't forget Micheal Andretti's try in F1 too.

FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP Drove for the McLaren Formula One Team as a teammate of the late Ayrton Senna...Faced the challenge of learning a new chassis, new race tracks and new qualifying format with little test time...Scored seven points in 13 starts...Highlight of the season was a third place finish in the Italian Grand Prix...Also collected a fifth place finish at the Spanish Grand Prix and a sixth at the French Grand Prix...Announced his return to Champ car racing at his hometown race at Nazareth in September.

Sixpipes
04-27-2004, 08:54 AM
So Mario was born in Italy, does that make him Italian? He won the championship in 1978. If not, then Phil Hill, whom I also saw at Nurburgring in 1961, became the only American born F-1 world Champion in Formula One history. The cars back then were a far cry from the ones today and require a completely different set of skills, but those guys were daredevils none the less.:cool:

Tex Arcana
04-27-2004, 02:51 PM
So Mario was born in Italy, does that make him Italian? He won the championship in 1978. If not, then Phil Hill, whom I also saw at Nurburgring in 1961, became the only American born F-1 world Champion in Formula One history. The cars back then were a far cry from the ones today and require a completely different set of skills, but those guys were daredevils none the less.:cool:

From what I understand, those cars were much more difficult to drive, despite the ferocious G-loading the present F1 cars develop. Some of those drivers would even have bleeding blisters by the end of a race, or burned body parts where they rested on something hot.
:eek2:

dboat
04-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Being a Michael Andretti fan, he was a big disappointment in F1. The main reason is that he went over there with a big head, didnt train or practice before he showed up and then drove over his head and wrecked a fair number of cars. He only announced his return because they were going to fire him. I still have a model car with his signature on it.
The Americans have not done well in this series and I am not sure why. Then again, kart racing is just now picking up steam here and thats where a lot of those guys learned to drive. In fact isnt that where J Gordon learned to drive?

I didnt think that GM had such a long leash on Gordon, I thought it was DuPont.

Dana

REXRENEGADE
04-27-2004, 04:50 PM
I have always thought that America's best all around race car driver was Mark Donohue. He won at all levels and was an engineer to boot. For all you younger guy's this man was something else. The company (Sunoco) my mother worked for back in the day was a sponser for his race team. He died from an F1 race related crash while practicing for the Austrian Grand Prix in 1975. He could hang with, and beat anyone on the planet in any form of racing at the time.

:bows

dboat
04-27-2004, 05:55 PM
I have always thought that America's best all around race car driver was Mark Donohue. He won at all levels and was an engineer to boot. For all you younger guy's this man was something else. The company (Sunoco) my mother worked for back in the day was a sponser for his race team. He died from an F1 race related crash while practicing for the Austrian Grand Prix in 1975. He could hang with, and beat anyone on the planet in any form of racing at the time.

I clearly remember the name but not the driver... sorry..

Tex Arcana
04-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Being a Michael Andretti fan, he was a big disappointment in F1. The main reason is that he went over there with a big head, didnt train or practice before he showed up and then drove over his head and wrecked a fair number of cars. He only announced his return because they were going to fire him. I still have a model car with his signature on it.
The Americans have not done well in this series and I am not sure why. Then again, kart racing is just now picking up steam here and thats where a lot of those guys learned to drive. In fact isnt that where J Gordon learned to drive?

I didnt think that GM had such a long leash on Gordon, I thought it was DuPont.

Dana

Yep, if you watch F1 closely, and see those slo-mo shots of the cars going over the curbs, you'll see the suspension hardly flexes. And pretty much all drivers there now came up thru karts and F3000.

And, yes, Gordon did karts at first, which is why he's such a good road course guy. And look at the car he drives: it's a tchevy. DuPont couldn't care less what car he's in, and I'm sure they'd love to put their name on the side of, say, a Williams FW2x or a McLaren-Mercedes, with Gordon's helmet plastered with DuPont all over it. But his contract with GM is preventing his jumping from CRAPCAR to any real series. :(

Tex Arcana
04-27-2004, 06:22 PM

Yep, Donohue pwnd all... his idea of fun was to get some econobox, get it going as fast as it would go in traffic somewhere, and try to kee it there without touching the brakes... :eek2:

REXRENEGADE
04-28-2004, 09:22 AM
Terry Cole is a lot like Mark Donohue in an odd cool way.

:beer:

Sixpipes
04-28-2004, 09:34 AM
Terry Cole is a lot like Mark Donohue in an odd cool way.

:beer:......plus he's still alive, which is nice. :cool: