PDA

View Full Version : Help - Service Dept. Reco. Needed

Fido
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
New to the board - was directed here as the place to turn for advice.

Here's the problem. Don't own an L, but brother did (directed me here) and will again. I just purchased a 6.0L F250 from Park Cities Ford.

Took it in for some minor ticks - 6,000 miles currently on truck. Asked them to check it out, but do not reflash. Got a call yesterday - they reflashed it.

Meet with the service mgr yesterday - gives me the party line - "Ford makes us do it. We don't have a choice." I tell him if Ford wants to make the decision, they can buy the truck from me.

He offers me a 75K warranty for the mistake and tells me that if I encounter further problems, he'll personally get the situation resolved. Couldn't get it to me in writing yesterday - everyone already home for the night. I tell him to keep the truck until he can give me the info in writing.

Bottom line - I need a new service dept / techs. that know what they are doing and will stand by their word.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sandman
04-30-2004, 11:55 AM
??? I'm not sure I understand... Why don't you check out the truck and see if the reflash fixed it? Why did you not want it reflashed?

If they fixed the problem.. I would take the truck and the free waranty home.

BTW.. I'm sure they can reflash the truck to the way it was when you brought it in if you had a factory program running. The funny thing about waranty, its up to Ford( the dealer or big brother ford depending on how far it goes) on how to solve a problem, not the customer. If you don't accept their solution, then they can say that they attempted to fix the problem. Then if you have problems later down the road that are related, guess what... They tried to fix it and you wouldn't let them... so they don't have to fix the new related isssue.

98Cobra
04-30-2004, 12:11 PM
??? I'm not sure I understand... Why don't you check out the truck and see if the reflash fixed it? Why did you not want it reflashed?

If they fixed the problem.. I would take the truck and the free waranty home.

BTW.. I'm sure they can reflash the truck to the way it was when you brought it in if you had a factory program running. The funny thing about waranty, its up to Ford( the dealer or big brother ford depending on how far it goes) on how to solve a problem, not the customer. If you don't accept their solution, then they can say that they attempted to fix the problem. Then if you have problems later down the road that are related, guess what... They tried to fix it and you wouldn't let them... so they don't have to fix the new related isssue.
The problem is they did something he explicitly told them not to do, without even a "hey, Ford says we need to do this to fix it" call to the customer.

Fido - is this an '03 or '04? I have heard numerous complaints about the 6.0L on the '03s, but thought problems were all fixed for '04...

In the end though, Sandman is right - I'd probably just take the free warranty, although I would still find service somewhere else. Unfortunately, I don't have a recommendation where...:(

Sandman
04-30-2004, 12:16 PM
That is true. They did do something that you explictly asked them not to do. A good dealer shouldn't do that. But should tell you that is what needs to be done to fix the issue, and if you refuse, thats not their fault.

Fido
04-30-2004, 12:27 PM
The truck is an '04 and you're right - I told them not to and they did it anyway.

My problem was very minor - a slight romp at startup. The problem with the flash is that while it may address the romp, it (at this point) reduces mpg, causes a louder idle, and influences the tow/haul mode. I could have lived with the romp - otherwise the truck is performing well - don't (didn't) want to change anything.

Also - as most of you guys can attest to - there are tech that can do this stuff right and there are techs that do it just to get the truck out of the shop. I got the latter.

As far as the 03 / 04 issue goes - they’ve fixed a majority of the problems, but the fact that they are still writing and installing the flash tells me they've still got work to do.

All in all - great truck. I guess my issue is more with the dealer - told them not to reflash and they did it. When I was with the service manager last night, several techs are standing there as well. The tech (Greg) that I told not to reflash (told him 3 different times) says, "I don't ever remember you telling me not to reflash. I definitely would have remembered that and I just don't."

I almost lost it. I've been given the run around on something that I didn't want, and now the tech is calling me a liar. That's why I need a new service dept.

By the way - no call from the service mgr on the warranty / buy back deal yet. Told me to sign the receipt last night and take the truck - he'd take care of the rest of it today. Obviously, I didn't sign the receipt and told him to keep the truck until he could get me everything in writing. "No problem, I'll call you tomorrow morning and you can come pick everything up."

Hey Ken - I'm still waiting.

mardyn
04-30-2004, 03:32 PM
What are they doing... reflashing the chip to newer specs? Dealership techs couldn't really care less about the customer or their vehicle for the most part... just when do I get paid and when can I go to lunch or home...

I used to be a Service Manager at a Ford heavy truck store, and although it was 20 years ago, sounds like it's the same old story...

mardyn

my2002lightning
04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Ford Dealerships and Svc. Depts ! :hammer: :mad:

Ronald

99WhiteBeast
04-30-2004, 06:53 PM
That's why I work on my own stuff-if something gets screwed up then I have no one to blame but myself.

I research everthing that I've never done before and ask for help from those that have when I get in a bind.

Take the warranty and find another dealer-IMO