PDA

View Full Version : 286 miles...and did my first mod (Thanks Crawford)

WA 2 FST
05-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks to Crawford for _giving_ me his 2lb ASP pulley. I had already ordered the proper belt since I had done this before on my '99. Went from 7psi to 10psi on the stock gauge. Only stood on it once. I'm still in th break-in period.

Next up are lots of parts from Terry: Factory Tech VB, 4x4 trans pan, chip, and Hotchkis front and rear springs.

Still debating the wheels. I'm leaning towards painting the '04 wheels DSG to match the truck.

Crawford
05-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Wes,

My pleasure to have chipped in on building a Wes Tarbox hot rod! :tu:

I think the painted wheel thing will look awesome. Dont think I have seen anyone that has done it yet. It would be very original IMO and would cost less then a new set of rims.

02BOLT
05-04-2004, 10:56 PM
In ref to the wheels...if you go the painted route, make sure you have the outer rim polished so you can tell where the wheel stops and the tire starts. Should look TRICK!:tu: ......just my opinion.

Later,
Rob

WA 2 FST
05-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Rob,

Since these are one-piece wheels and have a very small lip, I do not know how well it could be done like you describe. I think if there is a distinctive lip to actually polish, then it looks good.

Thanks to Terry, I picked up some great parts just before he left town. I got the FTVB in, as well as the 4x4 pan/filter assembly, and the air-intake. All that's left is the chip, which should be a couple of weeks is all. I've gotten a lot done in 310 miles. :)

I have decided to go with the Roush suspension setup, so we'll see how that goes.

andy_cain
05-05-2004, 04:37 PM
I think you and "Rocks" have the same "Break-in" procedure booklett:rll:

For those of us with the "Older" models....any noticeble difference other than the 4X4 rear end?:confused: and some eye goodies:cool: ???

There are days that I swear the best of all worlds would be to buy a new one, drive the piss outta it for 2 years....and leave it stock so I don't have to worry about warranty issues. .... then I remind myself that "stock" just SUX (not as bad as having an import though):hammer:

WA 2 FST
05-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Wayne,

I would not own a stock Lightning. I don't mean disrespect to those that have stock L's, but the only way I could own a stock one was if I'd never ridden in a modded one. My '99 had 800+ miles on it when I put a chip in. We all know a decent chip (it doesn't even have to be the latest and greatest, just a well-balanced program) makes a _huge_ difference.

I was very methodical and conservative with my '99, so I knew exactly what I wanted as far as mods go when I purchased this truck. I figure now is as good a time as any, even with 310 miles on it. I'm not beating on it right now anyway.

I feel like the suspension is tighter on the '04 than my '99 (which was lowered, too), but that may just be me being used to a 44k mile truck moreso than the actual suspension being tighter. I do like the 3.73s vs. the 3.55s. I can feel the slight difference (probably b/c I've got only light mods) there. The carpeting and floor mats in this truck are substantially better than my '99, which was immaculate the day I sold it. However, these are just better material. I heard the carpet and mats are out of a Navigator. ??

The ride height is a joke, IMHO. It makes the rear tires look like they are way too small of a profile. I'm not complaining though b/c that's what pushed the GVWR over 6000lbs, which is the only reason I bought the new one. But that will be gone as soon as the Roush stuff arrives.

andy_cain
05-06-2004, 07:44 AM
Ahh, that quailifys for a Tax write off at 6000 pounds:D
I have heard people with newer "L"'s say they think it rides smoother and has more of a quality feel than a strait out truck feel.... in any case, congrats on your new ride... your white one was sharp, sure this one will be even nicer:tu:

WA 2 FST
05-06-2004, 09:32 AM
I do not think the truck rides smoother than my '99 did. But I'm still getting used to this truck. The '99 fit like a 4.5 yr old pair of gloves, that get used almost every day. I'm still adjusting the seat every now and then in the new one.There is definitely a _different_ feel to this truck, but I would not say the ride quality is smoother. The steering feels more responsive, so I'm getting used to that.

All in all its a close carbon copy...which is great, b/c that's what I wanted. And yes, the tax write-off was _the_ reason for the move in my case.

andy_cain
05-06-2004, 10:22 AM
That makes me feel better. :tu: about not "de-modding" and trading mine.

I was thinking it must be time to upgrade; but still kinda diggin the old model:cool:

It's much cheaper (for me:rll: ) to let you get a new one:rll: .

I think I "Might" have added just one to many mods to ever get enough $$$ at this point outta mine to let her go:hammer: .
Odd thing is that both the mods and the truck have declined in value (based on market value of them) at the same rate:hammer: