PDA

View Full Version : Who sells the PCV mod?

WA 2 FST
05-05-2004, 11:09 PM
Guys,

I remember reading a couple of years ago about a PCV mod that could be done that would help alleviate oil blow-by from getting into the intake tract. I'm not talking about installing a breather. That certainly can help, but I also know it can throw a code without a chip programmed for it. After all, it is a vacuum leak.

I thought this "mod" had something to do with installing an additional PCV valve on the driver's side valve cover where the hose runs to the intake boot. ?? There must be more to it than that. Anyone?

blueoval01
05-05-2004, 11:26 PM

I thought this "mod" had something to do with installing an additional PCV valve on the driver's side valve cover where the hose runs to the intake boot. ?? There must be more to it than that. Anyone? Ima thinking this is the same mod Dana (DBoat) did. However the oil collection is on the passenger side against the firewall.
We all posted about this about 9 months ago. And I know there were some pics.
Just have to do some searching.

Am I remembering the same thang your talking about? :confused:

WA 2 FST
05-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Mark, we're talking about different issues.

On the driver's side valve cover there is a hard plastic tube that goes from there back to the rubber intake boot in front of the TB. Under positive crankcase pressure, oil can get pushed through this tube and then into the intake boot. From there, of course, it is ingested into the air intake tract. This is great for emissions (making it a closed system), but also contaminates the air/fuel charge if too much oil gets in there.

I know there is a PCV valve on the passenger side VC, and I'm thinking this mod (believe it was PSP who sold it, but they no longer advertise it) was just basically adding another valve in-line on the driver's side.

03LightningRocks
05-05-2004, 11:50 PM
If your talking about the mod where you swich to an 03 Cobra PCV and stick a dime in the hose to keep oil out....I wouldn't recommend it. It caused my PCV to get blown out of the valve cover. I took the damned dime out and live with what oil gets injested....it isn't enough to get worried about anyway.

I read a few posts where they where sticking a breather on the valve cover on the drivers side and adding a PCV to that side also. It was at the F150 online forum. Do a search over there and you won't believe how muany posts pop up about the whole PCV system....good reading but I don't know how credible all these "fixes" are.

Rocks

Mark #2
05-06-2004, 02:43 PM
IMHO, the dime and PVC mod is wrong. I took mine off also. If the PCV valve doesn't blow out, it causes the valve cover gasket to blow.

I am using an air-oil separator, took it off my air compressor. It has been working perfectly at 16psi boost for the past 6 months, no oil in the intake.
Numerous vendors sell this mod, or you can make your own from Northern or Harbor Freight.

Mark

Band
05-06-2004, 03:40 PM
I would like to get some sort of separator. One of the HD guys at the dyno had what looked like vacuum tubes. You could see the oil in the bottom and just empty them out.

But I don't have a fabrication bone in my body.

Mark #2
05-06-2004, 04:46 PM
I would like to get some sort of separator. One of the HD guys at the dyno had what looked like vacuum tubes. You could see the oil in the bottom and just empty them out.

But I don't have a fabrication bone in my body.
Hey Sayle, did you happen to look at mine on Sunday? REM sells something similar to what I made.
http://www.razorsedgemotorsports.com/

Band
05-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Hey Sayle, did you happen to look at mine on Sunday? REM sells something similar to what I made.
http://www.razorsedgemotorsports.com/

I didn't, but I will first chance I get.. There is alot more oil in my TB and plenum than I expected after 4 months of driving...

Band
05-06-2004, 05:00 PM
That razors edge looks exactly like what I'm thinking about after reading this article. Except it only has one separator..

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=150829&perpage=15&highlight=pcv&pagenumber=1

Band
05-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Installed my SBTB Tuesday night and here is a picture of oil in my SBTB today... ewww that's just not right..

99WhiteBeast
05-07-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm running the Swanson kit and have no oil what so ever.

I agree with Mark and Ron on the issue if you're pushing the kind of boost those guys are (16-20lb).

If you're running moderate boost (10 to 12lbs) I don't thinks its a problem IMO. I've had it on there for 10K and no leaky valve cover or head gaskets and have never blown out my PCV.

03LightningRocks
05-07-2004, 07:50 PM
I'm running the Swanson kit and have no oil what so ever.

I agree with Mark and Ron on the issue if you're pushing the kind of boost those guys are (16-20lb).

If you're running moderate boost (10 to 12lbs) I don't thinks its a problem IMO. I've had it on there for 10K and no leaky valve cover or head gaskets and have never blown out my PCV.
This is absolutely correct. I had no problems with it at all, until I pushed my boost above 15lbs.

Rocks:tu:

Sandman
05-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Installed my SBTB Tuesday night and here is a picture of oil in my SBTB today... ewww that's just not right..
Holy Cow! Do you have to add a quart every month.. or is it every week? I'm scared to look at mine after seeing that!

Band
05-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Holy Cow! Do you have to add a quart every month.. or is it every week? I'm scared to look at mine after seeing that!

lol yeah, pop that boot of your TB and take a peak. I'm now cleaning it a couple of times a day.

It seems to drain back down into the boot where the pcv hose from the boot to the valve cover is... I'm more afraid of what my Intercooler and lower intake look like.. time to get a quote from terry on what it would run me..

my2002lightning
05-07-2004, 11:02 PM
I burn approx. 1 quart every 1K miles and I'm as bone-stock as you, Andy.

I've taken my TB intake boot off a few times and it's pretty moist all the time near the TB.

Go figure...

Sandman
05-07-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm as bone-stock as you, Andy.

No your not;) The only thing I've changed is the oil! lol.

03LightningRocks
05-07-2004, 11:16 PM
That is real nasty Sayle. I have yet to see mine look that bad. Some of these trucks seem to have more of an issue with that than others:confused: .

Rocks

my2002lightning
05-07-2004, 11:27 PM
The things people tell themselves. :rolleyes: :D

No your not;) The only thing I've changed is the oil! lol.

Band
05-07-2004, 11:29 PM
That is real nasty Sayle. I have yet to see mine look that bad. Some of these trucks seem to have more of an issue with that than others:confused: .

Rocks

Yeah, checkout my stock TB after 11k miles over 4 months.

03LightningRocks
05-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Yeah, checkout my stock TB after 11k miles over 4 months.

Holy Crap man......that is real raunchy. I wonder what the heck is causing yours to get so much more oil than mine:confused: .

Your intercooler coil is probably really bad. You may want to consider pulling the blower and checking it.

Rocks

my2002lightning
05-07-2004, 11:44 PM
Here's mine at approx. 20K miles. This thread sort of got me to wondering - for comparison.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/344MVC-052F.JPG

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/344MVC-053F.JPG

Band
05-07-2004, 11:51 PM
How does the back side look Ronald?

This is prolly why I got a 13.1 stock haha! It's bugged..

03LightningRocks
05-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Ronald, I don't think yours looks as bad as Sayles. Sayles looks like it has carbon deposits on it or something. It must be from the oil burning after it gets all over the darned thing.

If I am not mistaken...isn't Sayle running alot more boost than you...or is he? I don't remember when he added his pulley.

Rocks

Band
05-07-2004, 11:56 PM
Ronald, I don't think yours looks as bad as Sayles. Sayles looks like it has carbon deposits on it or something. It must be from the oil burning after it gets all over the darned thing.

If I am not mistaken...isn't Sayle running alot more boost than you...or is he? I don't remember when he added his pulley.

Rocks

The front of my TB looks just like Ronalds, clean as a whistle... It's just the back side that is all gummed up...

I think I had like 4-6k miles on my truck when I put the 4# on...

My intercooler pump was never plugged in from the factory, terry found it unplugged when he installed my LT's+exhaust..

03LightningRocks
05-08-2004, 12:02 AM
My intercooler pump was never plugged in from the factory, terry found it unplugged when he installed my LT's+exhaust..

Sayle,

On one of our "best times" week ends at Hallsville, I was concerned about my intercooler pump not moving enough water. I looked at yours while your truck was running to compare it to mine...it was moving fluid about the same as mine. It must have come unplugged since then.

Rocks

Band
05-08-2004, 12:08 AM
Sayle,

On one of our "best times" week ends at Hallsville, I was concerned about my intercooler pump not moving enough water. I looked at yours while your truck was running to compare it to mine...it was moving fluid about the same as mine. It must have come unplugged since then.

Rocks

Hmmm, interesting. :confused:

my2002lightning
05-08-2004, 12:09 AM
Sayle,

I've never been "adventurous" enough to take the thing off and take a look behind or I would take a .jpeg and post up.

If I did, I'm sure Laney would have to start me on Paxil or something. :eek: :D

BTW, my IC pump runs like a scalded dog!

How does the back side look Ronald?

This is prolly why I got a 13.1 stock haha! It's bugged..

03LightningRocks
05-08-2004, 12:19 AM
I have never messed with my pump power connection, so this is a guess. It could have been plugged in enough to make a connection, but not enough to lock it in place. Maybe it finally vibrated loose. If memory serves...the weekend I checked it was the weekend three of us hit new best times.This would be a possibility if there is some kind of locking clasp or something that it has to click into when pluged completely in.

Just a thought. Now back on topic again:0fftopic ..............:d

Rocks:beer:

99WhiteBeast
05-08-2004, 08:49 AM
lol yeah, pop that boot of your TB and take a peak. I'm now cleaning it a couple of times a day.

It seems to drain back down into the boot where the pcv hose from the boot to the valve cover is... I'm more afraid of what my Intercooler and lower intake look like.. time to get a quote from terry on what it would run me..

I cleaned mine up 3 weeks ago and it was pretty bad. I put the 2lb on at 28K and the 4lb on by 60k. This all happened before the PCV mode I'm sure.
See pictures in my gallery
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=34

We did Jeff's the next weekend and with him running a 4lb and then a 6lb at about the same milage points his was much worse.

We both feel the trucks are a little stronger and the boost comes up quicker.

It is worth the effort and the $75 in new bolts to do it IMO- We also changed the SC fluid while we were at it and inspected the rotor packs for flaking.

Mark #2
05-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Again, my recommendation. This works.

REM sells something similar to what I made.
http://www.razorsedgemotorsports.com/[/QUOTE]

03LightningRocks
05-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Again, my recommendation. This works.

REM sells something similar to what I made.
http://www.razorsedgemotorsports.com/[/QUOTE]

Of the two recommendations here. I have to vote with Mark due to the issues I had with the dime mod. My mechanical minded thinking leads me to believe that if the point of critical failure is at 15-16lbs of boost, there may be issues happening below that which may not be considered "healthy"

JMHO (http://JMHO),
Rocks

WA 2 FST
05-08-2004, 02:49 PM
Getting back in here late on this one...

thanks for the responses. The "dime" mod is not the one I was thinking about, either. I would agree with Mark 100% that is not the way to go. Blocking off the vent will just build crankcase pressure to unhealthy levels. Doesn't surprise me one bit about a blown out dipstick or valve cover gasket. You have to vent it somewhere... but back into the intake charge is not the best place to vent it.

I've been tuning forced induction EFI Fords since '91, primarily centrifugal blower apps. Paxton and Vortech route the line back in front of the blower, too, and it leads to a yucky mess. These manufacturers (and Ford, in their OEM apps) cannot vent it or it would not be CARB legal. The system has to be "closed". However, while that may be best for emissions, it is NOT necessarily best for your motor. Any oil that gets into the intake charge contaminates (to what extent is debatable) the air/fuel charge that enters combustion. This effectively lowers the octane rating of your fuel, if nothing else. Other side effects like gumming up the throttle body, clogging the I/C vanes, etc. are potential issues.

So its either some form of ventilation or a catch-can like what Mark recommends. I just remember seeing some little mod with an extra PCV valve (no dime in line, though) that was advertised to help. Obviously its not very popular or you guys would have seen it.

Looks like I'll go with the catch-can deal. Looks neat and clean, and even though I'm only at 11+psi right now, I think it will be worth it. My '99 was 10-11psi and it had some mild oil in the intake boot at 44k miles.

Band
05-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I ordered the razors edge solution thursday. Eventhough you can make one for $15 at autozone, I just don't want to go cutting and applying stuff that I don't fully understand..

WA 2 FST
05-08-2004, 03:02 PM
Sayle,

So you spend a few extra bucks on this _one_ mod. Big deal. It will be an easy install, and help alleviate (if not eliminate altogether) your oil control problem. Small price to pay, i think, compared to the long-term consequences of continuous oil ingestion into the intake and combustion chambers.

I'll probably have mine coming within a week, too.

Sixpipes
05-08-2004, 09:01 PM
So its either some form of ventilation or a catch-can like what Mark recommends. I just remember seeing some little mod with an extra PCV valve (no dime in line, though) that was advertised to help. Obviously its not very popular or you guys would have seen it.

I have the Swanson fix for the oil injestion problem. It comes with a milled plug for the passenger side crankcase vent tube. Danny also provided another PCV valve to replace the stock one. I called him after a few of our guys experienced problems with their setup after going Apten or Kenny Belle. I haven't experienced any problems yet and will be watching for any issues since I have recently ported my Eaton. Danny says he has several guys out on the West Coast running 18#s of boost with his kit (properly installed) and no problems.

I've seen Mark's fix and it's pretty cool. Of course we know he probably stayed awake for days until he came up with the idea. :evil

03LightningRocks
05-08-2004, 09:39 PM
So Dennis,

Did he say what he thought we might be doing wrong? Any feed back he gave you may be helpful.

Thanks,
Rocks:cool:

Band
05-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Put my separator on a couple of days ago.. Here is a pic after close to 100 miles...

I'm thinking I'll step up to a thinker oil.. This much oil ain't right...

WA 2 FST
05-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Sayle,

I just put mine on 10 minutes ago. Before you get too nervous, let me see how much oil I collect in the next few days (won't be 100 miles, though).

Have you tried to drain the thing yet? I tried unscrewing what I _thought_ was the drain cock at the bottom and it's awfully tight (plastic molded piece). Pretty cheap construction, if you ask me. :( I'm afraid I'll break it if I unscrew it all the way.

Mark #2
05-13-2004, 07:09 PM
I've seen Mark's fix and it's pretty cool. Of course we know he probably stayed awake for days until he came up with the idea. :evil[/QUOTE]
Missed this post, but actually, I figured if it works on the air compressor at 120 PSI, it would work at much lower pressure even better, and I needed a new one for the compressor anyway.

I also have a sprinkler head screen in the drivers side tube as a condensation point as well. No oil in the upper intake for the past 5K miles.
Mark

Band
05-13-2004, 07:44 PM
Sayle,

I just put mine on 10 minutes ago. Before you get too nervous, let me see how much oil I collect in the next few days (won't be 100 miles, though).

Have you tried to drain the thing yet? I tried unscrewing what I _thought_ was the drain cock at the bottom and it's awfully tight (plastic molded piece). Pretty cheap construction, if you ask me. :( I'm afraid I'll break it if I unscrew it all the way.

What oil are you running?

I won't change my thickness of oil until about another 6k miles. I just changed my oil couple hundred miles ago and still have one more case of my current oil.

I'm running the 0w-20 mobile1 per the manual. From what I have read, almost half of the lightning community is running 10-30 anyway... So when I say a thicker oil, its not an extreme change.