PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying a BMW today

00Bolt
05-27-2004, 03:32 PM
its for the wife... trading in the 02 Jeep Liberty...

its a 2000 BMW 328i, 40k miles, silver, sport package w/ rims, leather, sunroof, auto, wood interior trim, etc... its got it all

it also has a Dinan package... not sure what that really is, but its got Dinan exhaust and a Dinan chip in it....

the car is in perfect shape.... not a dent on it

i got dealer down to $19k... kbb.com says a trade in value is $21k... do seems like a good deal...

what do you guys think?? does the Dinan stuff worry ya at all?? the dealer said its the only aftermarket stuff that BMW approves....

anyone know anything about that?? any thoughts??

Edward
05-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Slightly off topic; but why are you trading in the LIberty? We're just about to buy one for the wife since they're roughly $7k off of sticker these days.

00Bolt
05-27-2004, 04:03 PM
thats exactly why... they dont hold their value at all.... if I were to keep it another 2 years... it would be worth crap!! in 2 years or so, the bmw would at least have some value

sonicbluetommy
05-27-2004, 04:43 PM
The Dinan stuff is what is used on the M3 beemers exclusively. The entire retro fit package runs about $8000. Seems pricey but beemer ppl love it and will pay extra for it, it adds value to base cars. There are also upgrades for the M3's for ppl who think an M3 is not quick enough. (Is any car/truck ever quick enough???)

A friend of mine in Denver has a 98 M3 he has upgraded to some of the Dinan stuff (about $2000). He took it back to the dealer where he traded for it and they offered him $3000 over what he payed for it just with the Dinan adders.

The M3's are great cars, quick, racy, tons of options (unlike our L's) and just a freakin blast to drive if you can afford them. New ones are running close to 60k. My friend payed about 26k for his w 30,000 mi and its a 98.

It was a pretty quick car b4, it almost kept up with the L and its a convertible. Plus BMW does not believe in power adders (turbo, s/c). I think his was a 3.4 ltr and it was quick. Not sure I want to race him now until I get a couple of mods on the L.

wesman
05-27-2004, 08:14 PM
My wife has that exact same car down to the color, but it also has the M wheels, but doesn't have the exhaust or chip.

We're selling ours, the wife wants something new. If you're getting it from the dealer for 19k it's a damn good deal. I paid substantially more than a little over a year ago.

--wes

03'svtlight
05-27-2004, 08:36 PM

its a 2000 BMW 328i, 40k miles, silver, sport package w/ rims, leather, sunroof, auto, wood interior trim, etc... its got it all

it also has a Dinan package... not sure what that really is, but its got Dinan exhaust and a Dinan chip in it....

i got dealer down to $19k... kbb.com says a trade in value is $21k... do seems like a good deal...

what do you guys think?? does the Dinan stuff worry ya at all?? the dealer said its the only aftermarket stuff that BMW approves....

Be prepared to buy some lower control bushings for that car immediately. I replace at least one set a week AND about 75% of the ones I pull on the rack have bad bushings or have already been replaced by yours truely. That a problem for those cars but other than that very solid vehicles.

my2002lightning
05-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Trai,

Interesting you should mention that... a good friend of mine has a Z3 ('01 - '02) and is selling because he can detect some "slop" in the front...and its wearing out front tires prematurely.

He maintains his Z3 and Mini Cooper meticulously and still is disappointed at that point.

Ronald

03'svtlight
05-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Trai,

Interesting you should mention that... a good friend of mine has a Z3 ('01 - '02) and is selling because he can detect some "slop" in the front...and its wearing out front tires prematurely.

He maintains his Z3 and Mini Cooper meticulously and still is disappointed at that point.

Ronald
The Z3 is a whole 'nother problem in itself. It does'nt have the bushing problem that the 98'up 3-series have, but it only has a front "toe" adjustment. It is pointless to build a car of such a price and not take tire wear into account. I had a Z3 on the rack and the customer got all pissed off at me when I told him there wasn't a single thing I could do to correct his extremely negative camber on the rear outside of costly parts replacement. :bs Those Z3's sit very bad after about a year.

Silver_2000
05-27-2004, 11:24 PM
I have always wanted an M3 or M5 ....

Maybe some day

L8 APEX
05-27-2004, 11:44 PM
There was a Speedvision series team a few years ago running a V8 powered M3. Cheating whores but it ran like heck:tu:

r1eater
05-28-2004, 10:02 AM

How soon are you looking to buy? I have a 2001 Audi S4 that I might be selling. It's very well taken care of and has been my daily driver. It's the ultimate sleeper running 12.0's @ 116 in the 1/4. Did I mention it's a four door car :)

Silver_2000
05-28-2004, 10:05 AM
How soon are you looking to buy? I have a 2001 Audi S4 that I might be selling. It's very well taken care of and has been my daily driver. It's the ultimate sleeper running 12.0's @ 116 in the 1/4. Did I mention it's a four door car :)
Is the S4 stock ? A buddy has an S4 that was in the high 13's last time he made a fool of himself racing against my truck...

Doug

r1eater
05-28-2004, 10:27 AM
Is the S4 stock ? A buddy has an S4 that was in the high 13's last time he made a fool of himself racing against my truck...

Doug

Not stock. I'm the guy that beat Rob's silver L at Ennis. Now I own Waynes old 99 black L. Go to video section to see the vid.

Will

www.s4racing.com

True Blue Aggie
05-28-2004, 11:17 AM
What price are you looking at for the S4? And flame me if you want, but is there still a warranty on any of the parts on the car?

Michael

r1eater
05-28-2004, 01:11 PM
What price are you looking at for the S4? And flame me if you want, but is there still a warranty on any of the parts on the car?

Michael

Thinking 24-25. All the parts I have are OEM Audi parts from the Audi RS4 (Euro 380hp big bro of S4). Unfortunatley they are not under warranty.

00Bolt
05-28-2004, 01:11 PM
looks like we are gonna get the BMW...

got him down another $1k and throwing in this...

getting all 4 rims fixed (slight curb rash)
full service (oil, etc)
detail wash
full tank gas

I checked up on the Dinan... it has this:

Dinan Performance Engine Software unleashes more power by re-programming the fuel mixture and ignition timing parameters of the engine management system. Furthermore, the software safely raises the rev-limit, giving your BMW a broader power band and greater road speed potential in each gear. Significant gains are also achieved at part throttle, making extra power available where you spend the bulk of the time driving. The top speed governor has also been eliminated, enabling the vehicle to achieve it's "natural" top speed.

Dinan High Flow Cold Air Intake Systems develop horsepower and torque gains by improving the engine's intake air flow. The aggressive system design provides for a less restrictive intake air flow than the stock system for greater engine efficiency and the lowest possible intake air temperatures for maximum performance.

Dinan's Free Flow Exhaust for the 3 series models provides increased flow for power gains without the excessive noise associated with typical "performance" mufflers. The Dinan exhausts feature rigid and durable muffler cases, manufactured from 20 gauge 304-stainless steel for optimum corrosion resistance. Internally, the systems feature Dinan's Tuned Resonance Chamber technology which provides the optimum balance between maximum power gains and a civilized, yet sporty exhaust note. The Dinan exhaust also provides substantial weight reduction compared to the stock muffler, weighing in at just over 17 lbs., compared to the stock system at 28 lbs. Dual 2.5 inch diameter polished stainless steel exhaust tips give the cars a tasteful performance look as well.

Sporty acceleration is no longer the sole domain of those who like to shift gears; Dinan Automatic Transmission Software welcomes you to the performance zone. To fully utilize the extra power extracted by Dinan Engine Performance Products, the transmission software raises the shift points to a higher rpm for faster acceleration in both the "Sport" and "Economy" modes, allowing you to carry more road speed in each gear.

thats it.... i test drove it twice and i really drove it hard too... brakes are brand new... tires are brand new, brand new inspection and registration... car doesnt overheat or make any sounds, shake, anything....

ill post pics of it this weekend if I end up getting it, but right now its a go!!! just gotta go up there and sign papers

mc-svt
05-28-2004, 07:59 PM
i have owned a few over the years,
good points are .
they are so well put together
very reliable
engines are real smooth
every switch , push operation is positive ,
sure there very fast car ,
all in all one of the best cars around,
down side ,
they cant handle, ( sort the suspension)
thats about it,,,,when i say they cant handle i mean if your driving it real hard,
,,,end of day they can beet most cars around (m3) but not a ford

haveing said all i have not much down sides to them and admit the closest race i had was with a m3 this was a zieger or somthing,,,a real weapon of bmw m3. looked like the space shuttle,,end of day my ford over took it,,at 160 mph,,and still pulling but so was the bmw..took 108 mile,,,on race but i overtook him after 8 mile,.
but that bmw scared me,,
put my hands up,,,,bmw are real gooood
enjoy it,,,,,

StormShadow
05-29-2004, 10:24 PM
Thinking 24-25. All the parts I have are OEM Audi parts from the Audi RS4 (Euro 380hp big bro of S4). Unfortunatley they are not under warranty.
How bout a buddy discount? Interested in partial trade for a 93 5.0?

r1eater
05-30-2004, 12:04 PM
How bout a buddy discount? Interested in partial trade for a 93 5.0?

Damn thats tempting... :D

wesman
05-30-2004, 01:43 PM
Damn thats tempting... :DMan, you gotta get a new pic for the avatar, I keep getting confused about whos posting when I look up at it. I kept thinking "I didn't know Wayne had a S4...lol"

:tongue:
--wes

r1eater
05-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Man, you gotta get a new pic for the avatar, I keep getting confused about whos posting when I look up at it. I kept thinking "I didn't know Wayne had a S4...lol"

:tongue:
--wes

LOL, Sorry I'll have to change it.. But that is my truck now so I guess it sorta fits :D I've got one picked out but hadnt uploaded it :tu:

jcblack
05-30-2004, 05:16 PM
Not stock. I'm the guy that beat Rob's silver L at Ennis. Now I own Waynes old 99 black L. Go to video section to see the vid.

Will

www.s4racing.com (http://www.s4racing.com)
Was that before Rob got the short block and KB?

Alpine
05-30-2004, 11:04 PM
That run was before the motor and the KB. But the Audi is still fast.

wesman
05-30-2004, 11:54 PM
LOL, Sorry I'll have to change it.. But that is my truck now so I guess it sorta fits :D I've got one picked out but hadnt uploaded it :tu:
It's the whole pic...not the truck so much, the background etc grabs me every time.....makes me think giant margarita at Bonedaddys...lmao

--wes

wesman
05-30-2004, 11:55 PM
My wife has that exact same car down to the color, but it also has the M wheels, but doesn't have the exhaust or chip.

We're selling ours, the wife wants something new. If you're getting it from the dealer for 19k it's a damn good deal. I paid substantially more than a little over a year ago.

--wes
Actually I just noticed you said 328i.....the wifes is a coupe....328CI

--wes

02BOLT
06-02-2004, 10:50 PM

That was in Jan. of '03, when I had a chip, pulley(4lb), filter, cat-back, and slicks. I got pulled on the big end by a car weighing 1000 lbs less, making virtually the same wheel HP. I ran a 12.7X on that pass, to his 12.2X or so. I had him to about the 1000' mark when he came around me like I was up on jacks.

Make no mistake about it, he handed me my ass. It's run watcha brung, and he brought a faster vehicle. That is one badass ride!:bows

The thing that stuck in my craw, was that it got posted all over the internet(TALON, NLOC, Audiworld), and I just couldn't understand what the big deal was. A 4800lb pickup truck with a few bolt-ons got beaten by a 3500lb-3800lb(or so) AWD car with significantly more mods, and it still gets brought up a year and a half later, like it was some big accomplishment.

Don't get me wrong, as I said before, I give mad props to the Audi, and I took my ass whoopin' like a man that night:o . That's just one ass-whoopin' that won't seem to DIE! I wish we could have had a ROUND 2, so you could have raced a truly "modified" Lightning, then posted that all over the internet.:tu:

Later,
Rob

StormShadow
06-02-2004, 11:27 PM
The thing that stuck in my craw, was that it got posted all over the internet(TALON, NLOC, Audiworld),........ and it still gets brought up a year and a half later, like it was some big accomplishment.

Rob, I know that rubbed you the wrong way bro. Not sure I'd feel any different if I was you. But Will is my homeboy so I'll say this. Maybe he is so proud to have beaten you that it still hasn't worn off. By the way I talked your truck up to him it was like he beat the king of the hill. It must have made some sort of impression on him, hell he just bought an 11 second lightning. :twitch:

I'm sure there are no hard feelings here and hopefully I'll be able to beat the Audi in my truck and I'll be sure to forward the video to you when I do. :beer:

02BOLT
06-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Adam,
I hear ya bro. I don't mean to come off like I'm pissed, cause I'm not. Will's car is an awesome piece in its own right. I have no problem with Will whatsoever, and I wish him nothing but the best with his new L.

Fact is, that night, I brought a knife to a gunfight, and got my head blown off. I smooth walked into a trap. It's just a little frustrating when it keeps getting thrown up in my face a year and a half fricking later....on the internet, no less. Anyway, it's all good. Just have to keep my pride in check is all.;)

Later,
Rob

r1eater
06-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Hi Rob,

Didn't mean to upset you at all, but in the Audi circle we hold the Lightning up there with the likes of Z06 vettes and todays cobras. In otherwords one bad mamma jamma. So essentially your truck was the benchmark at that point. Not only that but up until that point the Audi S4 tuning wasnt the best and we'd never had a 12.2 sec Audi. So on that day, I had the fastest pure kit car. That was also the first time out with the car after the work had been finished on it and up until then all the other tuned S4's were running low 13's.

Please take it as a compliment to you and your truck. It was an all out good race and I just happened to come out on top that day. Trust me win or lose I would have posted the video. I was just wanted to keep up, I never expected to win :)

02BOLT
06-03-2004, 08:03 AM
Will,
It's all good man, I'm not upset, it just struck a nerve (especially since she is now deceased:( ). I appreciate what you're saying, and I harbor absolutely no ill feelings toward you at all. That's racing, and that's just how it goes...you win some, you lose some. The way your car was running that night, there aren't many L's that could have hung with her.

I was frustrated as hell that night, because it was fairly cool out and my truck would not go quicker than a 12.70 on the slicks(she'd gone a 12.37 a month or so before with the exact same set-up). What was funny was that I took the slicks off, put the Drag Radials back on, and ran a 12.60:eek2: ...WTF!?! Still a far cry from the 12.30's however.

As you will soon learn, L's are extremely sensitive to air quality(temp/humidity/bar. pressure etc...), and it shows on the timeslip big time. At any rate, congrats on your new L! That's one sweetass truck ya got there. You'll have loads of fun with it! Goodluck and take care.

Later,
Rob:beer:

StormShadow
06-03-2004, 08:31 AM
.....:beer:

REXRENEGADE
06-03-2004, 01:29 PM
My buddy has a 2002 330i with all that dinan stuff and I still kick his ass by several car lengths in a 1/4 mile romp, and that includes starting from rolls also! It's quick but not fast, doesen't have the brutall power like the lightning does. To me it has a very well balanced feel and corners like a go cart. All BMW's are expensive as far as service goes. be prepared to shell out some cash if you need the Dealership to do any work on it. The germans overall make the best cars in my opinion. I would own one.

Just My 2Cents Bro :d

00Bolt
06-05-2004, 09:20 AM
here she is....

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/578bmw-med.jpg