PDA

View Full Version : Is your Granny driving your L? - 2004 POLL

dboat
05-29-2004, 05:48 AM
I was wondering how many of you have changed your driving style since the price of gas went over $2 a gallon. While I have never been a "pedal to the metal" all the time guy in my L, I am much more selective on when I am and the frequency of it.
Let me know where you fit on this one.
Dana

Wht95Lightning
05-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Samsclub at I-30 and Eastchase yesterday I filled up with 93 for $1.97

It definitely puts a bit of a damper on the joy of driving the L though when you think that it's costing you 5 bucks to drive to get a 3 dollar burger. :(

I've only put about 100 miles on the L so far this summer. Been spankin the hell out of the Lexus though. It still takes premium but at 23mpg it's a little easier on the wallet.:rolleyes:

Silver_2000
05-29-2004, 08:09 AM
Yes but not because of the gas prices... Its because my tranny is hurt ....

I posted an excel preadsheet on the last gas price thread showing that even if the prices stay up this high for a year the total difference per year for gas isnt that high

http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=45063#post45063

In my case the difference between 1.60 gas and 2.05 gas will cost me $450 a year... Its tough to justify buying a smaller more efficient car if a Honda accord will only save me $1000 a year .....

I guess its new math - spend 10,000 to save 1,000.....

Doug

Wht95Lightning
05-29-2004, 08:42 AM
I guess its new math - spend 10,000 to save 1,000.....

Doug
:rll: I like the new math! I use that on Brenda all the time. She hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet though. "Honey I know we don't really need this but just think of the money we'll save in the long run." :d

For me, it's not as much the actual cost of the fuel but rather the feeling that I am being gouged and there's nothing I can do about it that pisses me off.

Silver_2000
05-29-2004, 09:02 AM
:rll: I like the new math! I use that on Brenda all the time. She hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet though. "Honey I know we don't really need this but just think of the money we'll save in the long run." :d

For me, it's not as much the actual cost of the fuel but rather the feeling that I am being gouged and there's nothing I can do about it that pisses me off.
I know its tough seeing the total be over $50 to fill up ... BUT look at the BIG picture... In my example the honda accord would save me $1000 in gas per year ... In my case is the Lightning more fun than the honda to drive - Hell yeah ... Is it worth $1000 - Hell Yeah ...

mardyn
05-29-2004, 10:22 AM
While I'm never a pedal tio the metal driver on the street... I have changed my driving style to help increase my fuel economy... My two main vehicles are a 03 Expy and an 04 Z71 Chevy... I've decreased my highway speed from 75 to about 65 mph... both vehicles register about 18.5 to 19 mpg at this speed (according to the on-board data system), whether or not it really helps, I'm not sure, but psychologically, it makes me feel like I'm saving some fuel..

My other car (GT350 w/5.8 L/power) is still down for engine replacement... probably got about another 30 days before it's back on the road.. but it always has been very fuel efficient cause of the 5 speed and high ratio rear gear...
So look out... don't run over the slow white Expy, but at least I'm not in the left lane... "Go Around you Crazy Maniacs!!" :d
mardyn

my2002lightning
05-29-2004, 10:34 AM
I've definitely changed my driving habits! :crying: My mpg hovers around 12.x nowadays - it was in the 10s for a while as you remember. :confused:

I only get into boost a few times a day and don't drive all that much. We're thinking about taking Laney's car to OK. to visit my parents tomorrow....nah! :D

I last filled up for $2.14 here in Frisco, and saw $2.23 at the Shell at Toll-Way and the George Bush! :hammer:

Off-topic: Too, I've only worked a month this year, so far. I can't travel for jobs now per Sgt. Hayes. :rolleyes:

Ronald

Sandman
05-29-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm still driving it hard and putting in the cheveron. I saw 2 cheveron stations w/ super at 2.05 yesterday. One was at DNT and Park, the other was on 635 east of 35 across from frys.

tliss
05-29-2004, 01:54 PM
The Lightning is not my daily driver, so it gets to rest in the garage most times. I'm planning on pulling it out this weekend for a little joyriding, but in reality I have not driven the truck for about a week and a half. It's not because of the gas prices though...it's just been that way for about a year now. You don't always play with your toys.

Tom

LonghornLightning
05-29-2004, 02:54 PM
I bought the truck to drive it, and I will continue to do so. Someone has to represent TALON on the daily strees of north texas. ;)

Doug, for that spreadsheet you are the man, even though so many people would still not agree, you can't argue with facts.

Keep 'em smokin boys

:burnout:

Tex Arcana
05-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Mine is my only driver, especially since the wife won't let me touch her Mercedes.:( But, it's a bunch of fun, and since I'm getting decent numbrs, I'm not too worried. :d

anglerx007
05-29-2004, 09:20 PM
I drive my L to work everyday which is about 35 miles one way. Since the gas prices have gone up my speed has gone down. At my last mileage check it was even 16mpg. This was a full tank driven very conservatively. It is a stock 04 in case your wondering.

Its hard to keep the speed down as we all know but there is a small benefit in the increase gas mileage.

Nuhklz
05-29-2004, 10:13 PM
...Doug, for that spreadsheet you are the man, even though so many people would still not agree, you can't argue with facts.

Keep 'em smokin boys

:burnout:

The spreadsheet says my cost has gone up $200 per year. Data speaks.

Thanks for the spreadsheet. :tu:

Silver_2000
05-29-2004, 11:07 PM
Well

I bought 16 gallons of 89 octane for 40 bucks today ... Thats 2.59 a gallon...

Sad thing is that didnt even fill the tank half full ... Not even close...

It went in the boat - 55 gallon tank - I told myself I wouldnt buy gas at the marina.. But its mem weekend and I didnt want to waste a bunch of time hauling it out on a trailer ...

Well in 2 weeks or so Ill offer a boat ride and lunch for anyone who volunteers to help me pull the boat out to fill it up...

Doug

03LightningRocks
05-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Well

Doug

OUCH!!!!!!!!!! That is one heck of a mark up:eek: . I have never owned a boat of that magnitude, so I did not realize that it took that much gas to fill one up.

It might be worth it to buy a few 5 gallon gas cans and haul 15 gallons or so with you on each trip.

What kind of milage do you get with a boat like that...or should I be asking what kind of Hours Per Gallon?

Rocks:eek2:

Tex Arcana
05-30-2004, 10:30 PM
Well

Sad thing is that didnt even fill the tank half full ... Not even close...

It went in the boat - 55 gallon tank - I told myself I wouldnt buy gas at the marina.. But its mem weekend and I didnt want to waste a bunch of time hauling it out on a trailer ...

Well in 2 weeks or so Ill offer a boat ride and lunch for anyone who volunteers to help me pull the boat out to fill it up...

Doug
Dang, put that PICKUP TRUCK to use... get a 55gal drum, a pump, and fill it up at Sam's Club... :p

Silver_2000
05-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Dang, put that PICKUP TRUCK to use... get a 55gal drum, a pump, and fill it up at Sam's Club... :p
Cant haul gas on the dock...

Its easier just to haul the boat to the gas

Doug

Silver_2000
05-30-2004, 11:45 PM
OUCH!!!!!!!!!! That is one heck of a mark up:eek: . I have never owned a boat of that magnitude, so I did not realize that it took that much gas to fill one up.

It might be worth it to buy a few 5 gallon gas cans and haul 15 gallons or so with you on each trip.

What kind of milage do you get with a boat like that...or should I be asking what kind of Hours Per Gallon?

Rocks:eek2:Its rated in weekends per tank

I get 5 or more weekends if I dont go crazy... Trouble is the tank is built into the hull and is V shaped ... So it gos DOWN quick once it gies under 1/2.....

Its only a 22 footer and it its running a chevy 5 liter - so its not exactly a ford focus on gas. It'll do almost 60 on the water ..... :nana2

Doug

LonghornLightning
05-31-2004, 02:31 AM
If I get an itchin to die, i'll let you know i'm game for a ride doug. I bet that thing makes for some mean tubing/wakeboarding/waterskiing......me and the uncles go fishing a lot on his 21 footer. On Lake Lewisville 3-5 nights a week when its good. Croppie ;)

dboat
06-12-2008, 09:19 AM
I knew there was an old thread about driving granny.. this was when we were in shock with gas just tipping over $2 per gallon.. so how many of you are driving granny now? and at what percent? with gas over $4 per gallon..

Dana

BC Lightning
06-12-2008, 09:40 AM
I have definately changed my driving and my vote since posting back in 2004

I try and map out my route for the fastest and most efficent way, and cut out a lot of the no need driving

I used to just drive even if I didn't have a reason to, now I try and make a list of everything I need to do

if it is not urgent I add it to the list of things to do while I am already out and about

I'm looking into a Hybrid Tahoe, a Dr of mine just purchased one (actually a Yukon) and said it is awesome to drive and getting 500+ miles out of a tank, he is driving to Flordia and back in it and will report mileage, cost, etc

tiffo60
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
I have definately changed my driving and my vote since posting back in 2004

I try and map out my route for the fastest and most efficent way, and cut out a lot of the no need driving

I used to just drive even if I didn't have a reason to, now I try and make a list of everything I need to do

if it is not urgent I add it to the list of things to do while I am already out and about

I'm looking into a Hybrid Tahoe, a Dr of mine just purchased one (actually a Yukon) and said it is awesome to drive and getting 500+ miles out of a tank, he is driving to Flordia and back in it and will report mileage, cost, etc

how much are the hybrid tahoe's going for?

dboat
06-12-2008, 10:05 AM
how much are the hybrid tahoe's going for?

$50k

tiffo60
06-12-2008, 10:29 AM
$50k

for a tahoe:rll::rll::bs

Silver_2000
06-12-2008, 10:35 AM
for a tahoe:rll::rll::bs

2WD starts at $50,490*

BC Lightning
06-12-2008, 11:39 AM
1. I can get it under sticker

2. I'm driving to downtown dallas, then to downtown fort worth and back, sometimes twice a day so I need something that I will only fill up once a week instead of every 2 days, I'm just glad Im not driving the L every day like I was when I first started

I'm still crunching the numbers to see if in the end it will be worth it, but if gas does go back down to 1.70 by this time next year like they say it will, then it will be a mute point

And the Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid doesn't shut the A/C off like Terry said the Ford Escape Hybrid does at the monthly meet

98Cobra
06-12-2008, 11:43 AM
I saw the hybrid full size trucks a couple years ago, and the mileage was pretty much the same as a regular gas engine. Are the Tahoes majorly better?

Silver_2000
06-12-2008, 11:44 AM
David N drives one from work - He would be able to answer some questions

dboat
06-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I saw the hybrid full size trucks a couple years ago, and the mileage was pretty much the same as a regular gas engine. Are the Tahoes majorly better?

I believe the highway mileage is about the same as the reg Tahoe, its the city mileage that is close to the highway mileage.. so if there is a lot of city driving, then you can benefit from it, otherwise, its not worth the extra $$

Dana

BC Lightning
06-12-2008, 12:00 PM

I have heard over 500 miles out of a tank, I am getting 300-330 out of a tank in my Tahoe now

Like I said I will find out more when he reports back to me

I believe the highway mileage is about the same as the reg Tahoe, its the city mileage that is close to the highway mileage.. so if there is a lot of city driving, then you can benefit from it, otherwise, its not worth the extra $$

Dana

He said 21-23 in the city and 23-25 on the highway, I'm getting 14-16 on the highway now

Again I haven't driven one, or really done a lot of research on them, planning on going this weekend and getting more information on them from the stealership

but 21mpg and roughly 24 gallons in a tank = 504miles so it seems to add up to what he is saying and what I have heard from others

dboat
06-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Michael, I think the new Tahoes get better hwy mileage because of the cylinder drop technology.. this doesnt include the Hybrid version.. I have had other folks tell me the same on the gas mileage..

BC Lightning
06-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Michael, I think the new Tahoes get better hwy mileage because of the cylinder drop technology.. this doesnt include the Hybrid version.. I have had other folks tell me the same on the gas mileage..

I have a 2008 Tahoe with the "flexfuel" system

according to chevy's website the hybrid does have the flex fuel system to drop to 4 cylinders,

the only time I see mine drop to 4 cylinders is when i'm coasting going down a hill, then it jumps back to chitty mpg

http://www.chevrolet.com/tahoe/

SILVER2000SVT
06-12-2008, 02:02 PM
My driving habits have only changed in that I'm tempted to shove the other cars off the road that a driving like granny's. In an attempt to save 1/4 of a MPG people are driving so slow lately. This causes everyone else on the road to vary their speed a lot more than usual, therefore burning more gas. These people trying to stretch out the mileage and save $2-3 per week is causing everyone else on the road to use more gas to avoid or go around them as well as making a trip take more time. Due to the slow drivers lately my 40min ride to work is now almost 10min longer because the whole way there will be a couple of drivers that will block up all the lanes of a road and go 5mph below the speed limit. Prior to the high gas prices everyone would go 5-7mph over the limit.

On a weekly basis, 1 person saving $5 of gas by driving slow causes 20 other drivers to each pay $5 extra in gas and costs each of them an extra hour of their time. :mad:

toddwarren
06-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Michael I am hearing it takes 7 years to break even on the extra cost
with the Hybris Tahoe. Now this was from channel 5 news this week so
I cannot be certain.
I would assume if you get a new Tahoe (I know you already have one) at Invoice less rebates you will
be able to save some 7 thouand dollars off the sticker on a hybrid?
That is alot of 4.00 gas IMHO!!!!!

BC Lightning
06-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Michael I am hearing it takes 7 years to break even on the extra cost
with the Hybris Tahoe. Now this was from channel 5 news this week so
I cannot be certain.
I would assume if you get a new Tahoe (I know you already have one) at Invoice less rebates you will
be able to save some 7 thouand dollars off the sticker on a hybrid?
That is alot of 4.00 gas IMHO!!!!!

Thats why i'm still looking into it, but if I were to purchase one it would be under sticker and I would trade this one in, if it was at sticker I wouldn't even consider it because like you stated, I could buy a lot of $4.00 gas

another perk is its a big tax write off for me since i'm 1099, one of the questions my tax guy asked was if te Tahoe I bought was a Hybrid

My driving habits have only changed in that I'm tempted to shove the other cars off the road that a driving like granny's. In an attempt to save 1/4 of a MPG people are driving so slow lately. This causes everyone else on the road to vary their speed a lot more than usual, therefore burning more gas. These people trying to stretch out the mileage and save $2-3 per week is causing everyone else on the road to use more gas to avoid or go around them as well as making a trip take more time. Due to the slow drivers lately my 40min ride to work is now almost 10min longer because the whole way there will be a couple of drivers that will block up all the lanes of a road and go 5mph below the speed limit. Prior to the high gas prices everyone would go 5-7mph over the limit.

On a weekly basis, 1 person saving $5 of gas by driving slow causes 20 other drivers to each pay $5 extra in gas and costs each of them an extra hour of their time. :mad:

I have definately seen a decrease in the speed of trucks and SUVs on I-30 and I-20 east and west bound, yet they still stay in the far left lane going at most 60mph :hammer:

L8 APEX
06-13-2008, 12:34 AM
Hybrids don't work in Texas. You can't run A/C or heater without running the gasoline engine. You gonna sit in traffic with no A/C all summer?
They were interviewing dealers on the news tonight. Toyota said Prius hybrid waiting list is into 2010 now!
You can't give away full size anything right now...
I need a little commuter car but anything cheap is selling as soon as it posts...

03LightningRocks
06-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Hybrids don't work in Texas. You can't run A/C or heater without running the gasoline engine. You gonna sit in traffic with no A/C all summer?
They were interviewing dealers on the news tonight. Toyota said Prius hybrid waiting list is into 2010 now!
You can't give away full size anything right now...
I need a little commuter car but anything cheap is selling as soon as it posts...

I guess this would be a good time for a person to buy that Ford Excursion they always dreamed of owning.:rll:

Silver_2000
06-13-2008, 07:54 AM
I guess this would be a good time for a person to buy that Ford Excursion they always dreamed of owning.:rll:

or a corvette

L8 APEX
06-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah, you own the world if you are buying anything under 19mpg.

98Cobra
06-13-2008, 10:31 AM
Here are the REAL numbers for regular Tahoe versus hybrid.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2008_Chevrolet_Tahoe.shtml

03LightningRocks
06-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Here are the REAL numbers for regular Tahoe versus hybrid.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2008_Chevrolet_Tahoe.shtml

The highway mileage is almost the same. The city mileage is a big improvement but if Terry is right and turning on the AC cancels this savings out, there is no point in buying one of these vehicles in Texas. Unless you don't mind sweating all the way to work and back.

98Cobra
06-13-2008, 11:00 AM
Terry is right - it would drain the battery super quick to run the compressor purely off battery, if it is even possible with the way it is set up.

dboat
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Terry is right - it would drain the battery super quick to run the compressor purely off battery, if it is even possible with the way it is set up.

its on battery when its idling and first starting off from a dead stop, then it kicks in 4 cyl's of the 8 cy engine.. at least I think that is how it is supposed to work..
Dana

Silver_2000
06-13-2008, 12:54 PM
its on battery when its idling and first starting off from a dead stop, then it kicks in 4 cyl's of the 8 cy engine.. at least I think that is how it is supposed to work..
Dana
yes but the concern is that idling in the city with the AC on will drain the battery more than it gets recharged when the motor is running

dboat
06-13-2008, 01:28 PM
yes but the concern is that idling in the city with the AC on will drain the battery more than it gets recharged when the motor is running

Well, I would hope not.. you should be doing too much idling. Just stopped for a minute or two at a time for a stoplight..right?:confused:

BC Lightning
06-13-2008, 02:06 PM
Well, I would hope not.. you should be doing too much idling. Just stopped for a minute or two at a time for a stoplight..right?:confused:

i have run the radio with multiple amps and subs for hours and could still start the Lightning, so 2-5min of idling and ten minutes of driving 5-35mph couldnt drain the batery before recharging

I'm going to Classic Chevrolet tomorrow to get some info on them

dboat
06-13-2008, 02:22 PM
i have run the radio with multiple amps and subs for hours and could still start the Lightning, so 2-5min of idling and ten minutes of driving 5-35mph couldnt drain the batery before recharging

I'm going to Classic Chevrolet tomorrow to get some info on them

give us an update.. I am interested.. prob not buying but am interested.

BC Lightning
06-13-2008, 02:41 PM
give us an update.. I am interested.. prob not buying but am interested.

I'm toying with the idea of buying one, but really want more information on them

Silver_2000
06-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I sent David a PM to get him to chime in

His company has a few of them - I rode in one once ...

He would have real world numbers since they drive for a living

BC Lightning
06-13-2008, 04:11 PM
He would have real world numbers since they drive for a living

Thats what I am needing since I drive hundreds of miles in a day

David N
06-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Thats what I am needing since I drive hundreds of miles in a day

I have to get the "REAL" number for you but the feedback from all drivers are great... we drive lots of miles a day plus we NEVER turn off the car... A/C is on with the motor off... when you get to a red light the motor shut off and you run on the battery.... it get over 500 miles per tank easy... the cost is 51k but right now they have 4k rebate if you are GM OWNER plus most dealers are taking another 4k off...so you can get one for around 43k... I WOULD OWN one if i wasn't soooo upside down in my Harley truck.....

most of the cars get two fillup a day but the the Tahoe gets maybe one....

The hwy MPG are very close to the city(22 to 25) .. it saves you $$$ if you do a lot of city driving or idle time......

David N
06-13-2008, 05:04 PM

It has a management systems and you can see what goes on the Nav. screen....it uses the motor when it needs to re-charge the battery or uses both at time or one or the other.....

dboat
03-27-2011, 06:08 PM
I thought I would resurrect this old thread where we were complaining about $2 a gallon gas and to see who is driving granny.. where you at now?

Dana

Moonshine
03-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Bought gas tonight ($3.449/gal) and was stunned that as the total passed $5 I'd just pumped a gallon and a half, barely 3 gallons as it swept through a 10 spot, and on and on. The Tundra gets a paltry 15 MPG, but I can buy a lot of fuel for far less than a more fuel efficient vehicle would cost.

I was struck by a thought as I pulled out of the gas station. I remember gas going over $1 a gallon when I was in college in '82. I recall it doubling to $2 a gallon in, IIRC, 2002, so 20 years later. Now, here we are less than a decade later and it's nearly doubled again. Makes me wonder how high it will have to get before folks start screaming at congress to lift drilling restrictions in the ANWR.

dboat
03-28-2011, 07:03 AM
My earliest recollection of gas prices was in the early 60s at 19.9 cents per gallon. I remember in the 70s when we had the gas lines that one station upped the ante and went to $1 a gallon and was open only at night. That was greeted with a shotgun blast through the front window.. Then when I bought the L, I just was going to refuse to buy gas over $1.50 a gallon, uh right.. Well, the L sits most of the time now, it does get out and get a run up and down the fwy now and then.. but I did buy a high mpg car because unlike prior administrations, this one will not under any circumstance give in and agree to start drilling anywhere in the USA to alleviate the energy issue.
I do believe that the price of gas in N Tx will go over $4 a gallon this summer and with no energy policy, this could only get worse .

Dana

PUMP
03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
With reference to the 1973 - 1976 oil crissis:
Then president, Jimmy Carter, pushed for and got congressional action to form the Department of Energy. The DOE mission was to reduce the US dependance upon foriegn oil. At the time we impoted about 48% of our oil.
To day the annual budget for the DOE is $29-billion and we import about 70% of our oil.:mad::(:confused:

dboat
03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
With reference to the 1973 - 1976 oil crissis:
Then president, Jimmy Carter, pushed for and got congressional action to form the Department of Energy. The DOE mission was to reduce the US dependance upon foriegn oil. At the time we impoted about 48% of our oil.
To day the annual budget for the DOE is $29-billion and we import about 70% of our oil.:mad::(:confused:

Last I saw we import about 51% of our oil.. but your point is well taken.. we have had the DOE for 30+ years, it has a $29B budget and we are worse off than ever.. most say close the entire dept and save the money.. I would ..

Dana

Sandman
03-28-2011, 10:34 PM
The Tundra gets a paltry 15 MPG, but I can buy a lot of fuel for far less than a more fuel efficient vehicle would cost.

+1

None of my vehicles get better than about 13 MPG, but I can still buy a lot of fuel before another more fuel efficient vehicle would pay off in the long run.

I do remember when I was in college around 2000 and gas was around $0.99/gallon. I could fill up my truck for $25 and just start driving. I worried more about the amount I was going to spend eating out.

Of course with the price of gas going up, so does everything else since it takes fuel to move it around. In addition to that, we take corn and turn it into fuel (inefficient as it is). Of course that is food for us, livestock, and we export it as well. We really don't have enough corn for all of that, so the price of everything goes up again. Then hype. Nothing actually has to happen, but talking about what could happen drives prices further North.

Honestly, I wondering when mass telecommuting will start for positions that don't really have to be physically there. If your employees can be near as efficient working remotely, why burn the office space and resources? I could be working from the beach.

Just my 2 cents.