PDA

View Full Version : Help Me...Wiring Question

03LightningRocks
05-31-2004, 10:47 AM
I have a problem with my darned trailer lights. The brake lights and turn signals work, but my running lights don't.

The tailights are 2 wire. The wiring harness has a Brown wire that I am thinking is for the tailights.

Should I be able to read continuous voltage going to this wire whenever I turn the headlights on?

Second...is the brown wire for the tail lights?

Thanks for any input,

Rocks:confused:

SILVER2000SVT
05-31-2004, 11:25 AM
The brown wire is for the parking (running lights). I fix these things all the time, 9 times out of ten its usually a ground problem. Make sure you have the white wire grounded on both the truck and trailer and that the lights at each fixture have a good ground too. One indication that it may be a ground is (you said the brake lights and turn signals work right now), do they do anything funny when you turn the parking lights on too, because they shouldn't change?Jason

03LightningRocks
05-31-2004, 04:24 PM
The brown wire is for the parking (running lights). I fix these things all the time, 9 times out of ten its usually a ground problem. Make sure you have the white wire grounded on both the truck and trailer and that the lights at each fixture have a good ground too. One indication that it may be a ground is (you said the brake lights and turn signals work right now), do they do anything funny when you turn the parking lights on too, because they shouldn't change?Jason

Hey Jason.....thanks for the response. I found out the Brown wire is for the running lights. After chasing it out, it looks like I am getting no power to the connector on my truck. I need to go further upline I guess.

What I did as a temporary fix was hook up to a wire that always has power as long as the ignition switch is in the on position. So now I have running lights anytime the truck is on. It was the center prong on the adaptor.

Thanks,

Rocks:bows