PDA

View Full Version : Wider rear tires?

WA 2 FST
05-31-2004, 01:42 PM
Anyone found a tire size that is still the same diameter (~28.45") as the stock tires, but wider?

I think getting a set of 12+" wide wheels for the back with the SAME backspacing (therefore the additional width would be on the outside) would be very nice with some 335mm wide tires for the back. The tire would sit flush with the outer fender lip, as the extra 40mm (1.6") would be gained on the outside.

I just cannot find anything in this size width that is 28+" tall.

L8 APEX
05-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Nope, you have to step down to car tires all the way, Viper tires. It is expensive tha kills top end.

WA 2 FST
05-31-2004, 06:02 PM
Thanks Terry. I was afraid that would be the answer.

Definitely not worth it.

L8 APEX
05-31-2004, 06:21 PM
Ed Okkala did it on his one lap truck. He ran HRE's 10's 12's and 295/335 Pilot Sports which ran about $6K on the cheap side a set as you know. To regain top end he ran two Gear Vendors OD units in series. But they have broken a time or two.

sonicbluetommy
06-01-2004, 12:36 AM
I dont understand how that would kill top end, and it cant hurt it by too much. I would think the trade off in extra traction would be worth it considering i rarely get my L over 100 but I corner in it like a slot car racer.

Explaination????

Silver_2000
06-01-2004, 07:03 AM
I dont understand how that would kill top end, and it cant hurt it by too much. I would think the trade off in extra traction would be worth it considering i rarely get my L over 100 but I corner in it like a slot car racer.

Explaination????
The tire diameter plus the gears in the rear end combine for total final gear ratio.. As you change the tire size it affects the gear ratio...

Here is tire size calculator that wil show you visually the height differences

http://www.svtlightnings.com/svt/how-to/tiresize/tire_size_calculator.htm

Doug