PDA

View Full Version : Metal "pop" noise

anglerx007
06-04-2004, 09:19 AM
Does anyone hear a metal "pop" noise from under their truck when makng a sharp turn at very low speed like in a parking lot or driveway?

If so what is it and should I worry about it?

My truck is an 04

Silver_2000
06-04-2004, 09:43 AM
Try searching for the word CLUNK

- Its VERY common

REXRENEGADE
06-04-2004, 01:46 PM
The old "CLUNK" ! :eek: Can be cured with some Herbs Washers. Got mine from Doug (aka Silver 2000). Just ask around Talon someone will have a spare set.
:beer:

Silver_2000
06-04-2004, 02:02 PM
There are 2 disticnt clunks - One is due to the sliding of the A arm

It is fixed by herbs washers or clunk washers.. The other is eased by lubricating a stop of some kind...

Doug

LonghornLightning
06-04-2004, 02:24 PM
yeah i've got the clunk too...:shrugs:

Band
06-04-2004, 02:54 PM
My 04 clunk was fixed by retorqing the a-arms and lubricating wheel stops.

my2002lightning
06-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I've gone to a large parking lot, cut the wheel hard left and right, and at slow speeds (fwd and reverse) tried to see if I have the clunk.

I don't hear it or feel it. Can someone tell me how to replicate it?

Thanks,

Ronald

Tex Arcana
06-04-2004, 03:38 PM
I've gone to a large parking lot, cut the wheel hard left and right, and at slow speeds (fwd and reverse) tried to see if I have the clunk.

Thanks,

RonaldDid you ever hear it when pulling into my alleyway?

I hear it only when I do this, but it sounds like it's coming from the BACK of the truck, not the front. :confused:

Sixpipes
06-04-2004, 03:41 PM
Ronald,

Sounds like you are looking real hard for something that is not there. You can look on the back-side of the driver's side A-arm for washer movement. It will make a sliding mark on the A-arm surface when the bolt shifts under extreme conditions. But I would say don't worry about it. When it happens, you will instantly know. :cool:

Silver_2000
06-04-2004, 03:41 PM

Thanks,

Ronald
Back out of my driveway into the alley then into the neighbors driveway.

Crank the wheel all the way to the left to enter the alley .. It typically clunks while backing

Doug

Tex Arcana
06-04-2004, 03:43 PM
Back out of my driveway into the alley then into the neighbors driveway.

Crank the wheel all the way to the left to enter the alley .. It typically clunks while backing

DougNow, are you talking about hitting the steering stops, or the a-arm shifting? BIG difference.

I back into my garage, and get no clunks whatsoever; and I get none *UNLESS* I pull into my alley just a hair too fast (and it's damned slow to start with), then it sounds like it's behind me, on the driver's side.

BLACKSUNSHINE
06-04-2004, 04:07 PM
I've had 3 F-150,s 97,98,2001, and all 3 did it, turn the wheel sharp, back up or turn into a small incline, like a driveway and it did it. Im used to it. My L does it from the front also. They make cool noises by design.

Silver_2000
06-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Now, are you talking about hitting the steering stops, or the a-arm shifting? BIG difference.

I back into my garage, and get no clunks whatsoever; and I get none *UNLESS* I pull into my alley just a hair too fast (and it's damned slow to start with), then it sounds like it's behind me, on the driver's side.Well since I have the washers it CANT be the A arm shifting .. And Since Im not at the LOCK of the steering it cant be the steering stop....

benyouall
06-04-2004, 06:35 PM
trucks have at times had bed to cab clerance problems.check to see if bed is to close on one side hiting cab on twisting such as going into drive or alleyway.some will have rub marks on rear of cab.

sonicbluetommy
06-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Have a dealer check the bearings in the A-arm. My brand new 04 "popped" when i turned sharp since day 1. I had it checked out twice and was told it was the steering stops. I finally took it in and told the dealer I wanted to take the mechanic for the test ride. Found out the bearings were shot in the drivers side front A-arm. My truck had 250mi on when I got it and 12,000 when they finally figured out the problem. They wouldn't/couldn't tell me why it had been doing that since the truck was new.
It never handled funny or steered funny in any way to make you think part of the front suspension was messed up.

They replaced it under warranty and it hasn't popped since.

L8 APEX
06-06-2004, 10:53 PM
That noise means you are driving a Lightning enjoy it:tu: