PDA

View Full Version : US Grand Prix

dboat
06-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Well, tomorrow at 12:30p EDT, the US Grand Prix will be run. This is the ultimate experience for a guy like me. I think that Formula One racing is the pinnacle of motorsports. The best driver in history is second on the lineup after qualifying today. Michael Schumacher should win again. His teammate has the pole. Their cars hit about 205 mph on the curve and going down the main straightaway, albeit in reverse direction to the other races run at the Indianapolis Speedway.
What can you say about cars that have engines that have over 800 hp and turn over 18,000 rpms? :eek2: If someone wants to do the math, think of how many times the sparkplug lights off per second.. it is absolutely amazing. The things idle at over 3000 rpm.. :eek:

Here's to another win by Michael :beer: enjoy watching him drive knana because he will only be doing it another year or two and then it will be up to one of the new young bucks to try to take his place.

Dennis,
you gonna watch? who you betting on to win this one?
Dana

Tex Arcana
06-19-2004, 11:30 PM
I was watching the qualifying and practice the past couple of days, and DAYUM it was fun!! :D ANd the way they were "pulling back the curtain" on the technology was fantastic. Finding out that the Ferrari's are using torsion bars and rotational dampers (instead of coilover shocks) was almost a shock to me, since the *last* time I had seen anything in depth on F1, they were still using the coilovers and pushrods.

THer'es a book out now, that goes in depth into the 2000 Ferrari F1 car (2000 becasue Ferrari won't divulge anything newer than 4 years old), and I am ITCHING to get my hands on it! :D

I'll be autocrossing tomorrow, but you can bet I"m gonna record it...

dboat
06-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Well as I expected, Michael wins again. His 13th win in the last 20 races.. He drove a smart race and barely beat his teammate. Not only does he have a great car and team, he also a lucky person. And I will take luck anyday. Not bad for a guy that gets paid $100 million a year to drive a car. And dont forget that he lives in Monaco, where there are no income taxes.. knana

Dana

Silver_2000
06-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Great racing - There wa a show on Speed Channel that showed one of the announcers who drove F1 years ago driving one of the newer cars . It was amazing to see and hear the F1 car from a relative newbie perspective....

The electronic controls are unbeliveable
Watching the replay now - Hope Ralph is OK
Doug

Tex Arcana
06-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Well as I expected, Michael wins again. His 13th win in the last 20 races.. He drove a smart race and barely beat his teammate. Not only does he have a great car and team, he also a lucky person. And I will take luck anyday. Not bad for a guy that gets paid $100 million a year to drive a car. And dont forget that he lives in Monaco, where there are no income taxes.. knana

Dana
Nien, Schuey Sr. lives in Switzerland, with his wife and kids and adopted stray dogs.

Away from the track Schumacher has always been an intensely private man. One of the reasons he left Germany to take up residency in Switzerland—other than big tax savings—was the more relaxed attitude of the locals to the superstar in their midst. And he likes the anonymity that he can have in the States. “It depends where I go. If I’m in New York, then I’m less of a regular guy because there are a lot of international people there and they watch Formula One. I have friends in Texas and when I go down there they have no clue what Formula One is and they leave me completely alone. That’s America—it’s so huge you can find your own places.”Great interview by AutoWeek with the Schumeister: http://autoweek.com/search/search_display.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=motorsportsnews&content_code=00404364&Search_Type=STD&Search_ID=2211619&record=1
;)