PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a liberal inspection station

rickgig
07-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey y'all... just realized my inspection ran out last month and I need to get a new one... no trouble with passing except I need someone who will look the other way as far as tire tread is concerned, rears are not bald but close to it. So... if y'all know anyone up in the Frisco area... that will be great.

Questions/Needs 1) need one F1 from someone with okay tread... I have one but will have to buy one from somebody. 2) if I get it inspected and fail... I guess that means I have to head back to the same place? Anyone know for sure?

I am waxing and cleaning it up big time hoping that the person doing the inspection won't look are the tires due to the shine!!

Tex Arcana
07-02-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey y'all... just realized my inspection ran out last month and I need to get a new one... no trouble with passing except I need someone who will look the other way as far as tire tread is concerned, rears are not bald but close to it. So... if y'all know anyone up in the Frisco area... that will be great.

Questions/Needs 1) need one F1 from someone with okay tread... I have one but will have to buy one from somebody. 2) if I get it inspected and fail... I guess that means I have to head back to the same place? Anyone know for sure?

I am waxing and cleaning it up big time hoping that the person doing the inspection won't look are the tires due to the shine!!
Call Discount Tire, and see if they have used F1s that will fit.. they're rare, but they tend to keep the good ones and resell them as used. You could get out of thre for $50 mounted and balanced. ;)

rickgig
07-02-2004, 03:35 PM
Good idea... I'll do that. Unless someone out there has one.

But I'd really prefer someone who will just look the other way... well.. I should say be more forgiving on the tread depth... I still have tread and the tread wear marks are just begining to show while in other spots they show... you know... tires are not perfectly round.

rickgig
07-02-2004, 03:36 PM
Forgot to mention... man this is one clean truck... washed, waxed and even cleaned the interior.:D

Tex Arcana
07-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Good idea... I'll do that. Unless someone out there has one.

But I'd really prefer someone who will just look the other way... well.. I should say be more forgiving on the tread depth... I still have tread and the tread wear marks are just begining to show while in other spots they show... you know... tires are not perfectly round.
I have a pair, but they both won't pass becasue the edge is worn smooth. :( I was gonna get an L rim and put one on it as a spare.

I say try to get it to pass, and if it doesn't, they write you a tag saying you have to get the tires fixed, then track down the tire you need, take it back, get it passed, then put the old ones back on. Not cheap, but better than nothing.

Silver_2000
07-02-2004, 03:59 PM
I have a single F1 that should pass...

my2002lightning
07-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Rick,

I've got an idea and it just might work as I'm sure we have enough L owners here in Frisco/Plano to pull this off.

We all cruise over to your house, we take off our factory hooptie spare-tires, put 4 of them on your L, you roll in there and pass inspection. Bam... done!:D

Seriously, fyi... I picked up a set of Toyos for $179 per + mount/bal. locally a while back - if you're interested in tire longevity.

Ronald

Tex Arcana
07-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Rick,

I've got an idea and it just might work as I'm sure we have enough L owners here in Frisco/Plano to pull this off.

We all cruise over to your house, we take off our factory hooptie spare-tires, put 4 of them on your L, you roll in there and pass inspection. Bam... done!:D

Seriously, fyi... I picked up a set of Toyos for $179 per + mount/bal. locally a while back - if you're interested in tire longevity.

Ronald
Actually, I thought seriously about someone loaning him a set long enough to pass... :D

rickgig
07-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Man those ideas are awesome... I am going to head up to Kwik Kar Oil and Lube and see if it'll pass... If not... then I'll take you up for the offer of loaning me two tires and wheel while I get this done... I really like the F1's and want to put those back on but I heard Good Year isn't making any until August.... Argh.

I'll post tonight and let y'all know what happens.

THANKS A BUNCH!!

rickgig
07-02-2004, 05:41 PM
The plan worked!!!

Those poor guys up there... never took their eyes off the truck... it's amazing what wax will do!!!

I really appreciate the offers of assistance...

Doug: Let me know what you want for the tire and that way if I can't find new ones around I'll have a backup plan should my rears go south before the tires are available... I'll PM ya...

Silver_2000
07-02-2004, 07:02 PM
The F1 is a spare I just keep around... If you dont need it for inspection Ill keep it for just in case....

dboat
07-02-2004, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=rickgig]I really like the F1's and want to put those back on but I heard Good Year isn't making any until August.... Argh.

Since I just went through all kinds of hoops trying to get some F1's. They start production on them on July 3. However, it will be 3 to 4 weeks before they hit the stores..
So they should be available in August.
Dana