PDA

View Full Version : Cat problemas

cpeapea
07-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Heard a rattling sound coming from my cats, i suppose they must be broken up. truck still runs fine but they sound like crap rattling. well i guess i could spend the extra money and have a new set put on, or should i just have catless midpipes put on? what are yalls thoughts?

Tex Arcana
07-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, if you plan on passing tailpipe emissions, you need those cats. Also, the cats should be under warranty--federal law states that all emissions equipment be warranted for 10 years/100,000 miles; so you should be able to get them replaced.

BTW.. how is the h**l did you manage to break up your cats??? they're WAY up there, and hard to hit on stuff...

PoorSvtman
07-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Well, if you plan on passing tailpipe emissions, you need those cats. Also, the cats should be under warranty--federal law states that all emissions equipment be warranted for 10 years/100,000 miles; so you should be able to get them replaced.

BTW.. how is the h**l did you manage to break up your cats??? they're WAY up there, and hard to hit on stuff...

They can break up from the heat and all that Hp he is pushing out.

But if you have problems with inspections hit me up gaven :tu:

Silver_2000
07-05-2004, 11:15 PM

There is no tail pipe emissions on Gen 2's - ODBII tests only for 96 and newer. No dyno no sniffer in these parts

The cats break up from too much heat - Too much fuel will over heat them..

Pretty common problem ... Had a stock cat replaced by ford after it started rattling

Doug

L8 APEX
07-05-2004, 11:20 PM
He has long tubes and cheapo cats:D Anyway, driving a hot cat through deep cold water cracks them up easily also. We replaced 5 cats in the last two weeks due to cold quenching. Certain brands break more than others.

98Cobra
07-05-2004, 11:35 PM
I've had cats replaced at least twice on my truck. It happens...

my2002lightning
07-05-2004, 11:59 PM
My passenger-side cat(s) seem to have been leaking water over-night intermittently for no apparent reason.

I have been driving in the rain lately.

Just go loud, Gaven. :nana2

Ronald

03LightningRocks
07-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Are the Car Sound the same as Magnaflow? I have been reading quite a few of these "bad cats" threads lately.

Rocks

Silver_2000
07-06-2004, 08:09 AM
My passenger-side cat(s) seem to have been leaking water over-night intermittently for no apparent reason.

I have been driving in the rain lately.

Just go loud, Gaven. :nana2

Ronald
Either that or its your AIR CONDITIONING .....

:ron:

my2002lightning
07-06-2004, 12:32 PM
I ruled that out, Genius! :D

I'm just saying that with a relatively rich (stock) A/F and having run the L through a decent amt. of rainy streets/highways may have done something to the cats.

:ron:

Band
07-06-2004, 02:50 PM
My carsound cats are rattling also...

Tex Arcana
07-06-2004, 04:29 PM

:ron:QFT x 10^100...:p

cpeapea
07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
im thinking maybe i should just gut them, its a half and half vote. if i do get new cats they will probably be random technology cats

TreeFiddy
07-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Technically you should go without cats if you want to be more planet-friendly. Catalytic converters are to control smog, and actually increase "greenhouse gas" emissions.

:d

Tex Arcana
07-08-2004, 10:53 AM
Technically you should go without cats if you want to be more planet-friendly. Catalytic converters are to control smog, and actually increase "greenhouse gas" emissions.

:d
Well, h*ll, if you wanna cut down the greenhouse emissions, stop eating beans... :ron:

Silver_2000
07-08-2004, 11:45 AM
I ruled that out, Genius! :D

I'm just saying that with a relatively rich (stock) A/F and having run the L through a decent amt. of rainy streets/highways may have done something to the cats.
The cats make water as a byproduct of the catalytic process

Thats normal but it should come out the tail pipe not direct from the cats

my2002lightning
07-08-2004, 12:43 PM
That's what I was thinking - it passes water out the tail-pipe as usual.

It's just lately it's been puddling water underneath the driver-side cat(s) after sitting overnight without having the A/C on for days.

The cats make water as a byproduct of the catalytic process

Thats normal but it should come out the tail pipe not direct from the cats