PDA

View Full Version : Looking for slicks..

r1eater
07-11-2004, 10:22 AM
Ok, so I've been to the track twice now on these used ET streets I bought and each time I've had zero traction. So I'm looking to buy some 26x11.5x16 full on slicks. Any recommendations on where to buy them? Who has the best deals?

Shiner1
07-11-2004, 09:45 PM
I run ET streets and have had 1.69 60's. Maybe there is another reason your not getting a traction. traction bars?, tire pressure to high? wet tires after burnout?

r1eater
07-11-2004, 09:47 PM
I run ET streets and have had 1.69 60's. Maybe there is another reason your not getting a traction. traction bars?, tire pressure to high? wet tires after burnout?

what kind do you have? Also I bought them used and I think they've just about had it, so the sticky is no more. I was running 11-12 psi..

Shiner1
07-11-2004, 10:00 PM
26X11.5X16 I did buy mine new though. I run 16 pounds of pressure. Any lower and you run the risk of the tire spinning on the wheel. IMO You might look into getting them screwed before you put down $$ for new ones. Next time you head to the track mark the wheel and tire and check them after each pass and see if they are moving on the rim.

r1eater
07-12-2004, 06:12 PM
26X11.5X16 I did buy mine new though. I run 16 pounds of pressure. Any lower and you run the risk of the tire spinning on the wheel. IMO You might look into getting them screwed before you put down $$ for new ones. Next time you head to the track mark the wheel and tire and check them after each pass and see if they are moving on the rim.

The ones I got are old and busted, so I in the long run it would be better if I just bought some new ones. When I get those I'll end up screwing them on to the wheels. Thanks for the suggestions.

andy_cain
07-12-2004, 06:41 PM
If it makes you feel any better;
The best 60' I could get her to cut on either (my old 2000 26's or Rob's 28's) slicks was a 1.704:(.
Now I am sure you understand why I couldn't launch off the bottle:d LOL.
I tried Lakewoods, Truk Tracks (sp?) and finally those Rancho style traction bars from Terry.
Might help to unbolt the front sway bar:), make sure the shocks are adjusted F & R.
I may have to take a trip to San Antonio ... that would be kinda cool to race ya, would make for a cool video (for me) if nothing else.

benyouall
07-12-2004, 06:52 PM
if you are trying to buy a new set.hooshier tire in dallas 1/972/7223.to see the different sizes look under hoosher tire southwest.ben

r1eater
07-12-2004, 09:18 PM
If it makes you feel any better;
The best 60' I could get her to cut on either (my old 2000 26's or Rob's 28's) slicks was a 1.704:(.
Now I am sure you understand why I couldn't launch off the bottle:d LOL.
I tried Lakewoods, Truk Tracks (sp?) and finally those Rancho style traction bars from Terry.
Might help to unbolt the front sway bar:), make sure the shocks are adjusted F & R.
I may have to take a trip to San Antonio ... that would be kinda cool to race ya, would make for a cool video (for me) if nothing else.

Hell I'd be happy with 1.8's :) If you bring the Viper I'm gonna have to bring my S4. I'm a better driver with it. Although it would be cool for you to race against your old truck. I think I just need a good set of slicks and some more time behind the wheel. You have to remember I baby this truck just about as much as you did, so I dont drive it much. Just drive it to get the paper or pick up groceries then come home wash and wax it again and back into the garage it goes. (sound farmilar) :rolleyes: My wife keeps telling me, Now I thought this was suppose to be our work truck?! Then I just laugh :rll: and the proceeds to :hammer: then I have to :bows and she leave me alone for awhile.

All I know is I want a rematch against YOU Adam, yes you. Next time I wont be on the pump program and I wont be running bust ole tires ;)

All I have to say is Adam ran a damn good time for being 83 degrees and like 99.999999999% humidty towards the end of the night. I cant wait to see what he does on a cool night knana

03LightningRocks
07-12-2004, 09:56 PM
First I will say that I think the slicks will do a better job for you...but I also wanted to let you know that you are running those pressures way to low. What you can do is have someone take a vid of your rear tires when you launch. With the air pressure that low, the tires will spring back up on your launch and "unload" causing you traction loss.

Been there...done that:beer: .

Rocks

StormShadow
07-12-2004, 10:06 PM
All I know is I want a rematch against YOU Adam, yes you. Next time I wont be on the pump program and I wont be running bust ole tires ;)

Guess you want a kick in the nutts for winkin at me.

Oh yea, about the rematch, bring it don't sing it.:evil Maybe we'll line 'em up even next time.

ken cryder
07-13-2004, 09:11 PM
First I will say that I think the slicks will do a better job for you...but I also wanted to let you know that you are running those pressures way to low. What you can do is have someone take a vid of your rear tires when you launch. With the air pressure that low, the tires will spring back up on your launch and "unload" causing you traction loss.

Been there...done that:beer: .

Rocks

i agree with ron . i have to run the hoosiers with 20 to 21lbs of preasure and finally screwed and tubed them to stop them from spinning on the rim , and 17 lbs and below they would bounce and unload . i'm pretty consistant 1,6 to 1.7 in the 60ft . the last time i went out i was getting so much traction that i bent four wheel studs on one wheel and stripped two on the other.:mad:

ken

r1eater
07-13-2004, 09:45 PM
i agree with ron . i have to run the hoosiers with 20 to 21lbs of preasure and finally screwed and tubed them to stop them from spinning on the rim , and 17 lbs and below they would bounce and unload . i'm pretty consistant 1,6 to 1.7 in the 60ft . the last time i went out i was getting so much traction that i bent four wheel studs on one wheel and stripped two on the other.:mad:

ken

Are you running 26's too? All I know is that running 11-13 psi got me consistent 2.0 60 fts anything higher and I was at 2.2-2.3 or worse.. Regardless I think my issue is due to the quality of tire I currently have. aka very used. We'll see how it goes with the new ones. Also I'm gonna screw them in.

Silver_2000
07-13-2004, 09:50 PM
Are you running 26's too? All I know is that running 11-13 psi got me consistent 2.0 60 fts anything higher and I was at 2.2-2.3 or worse.. Regardless I think my issue is due to the quality of tire I currently have. aka very used. We'll see how it goes with the new ones. Also I'm gonna screw them in.
With slicks and decent track prep you should see 1.7 -1.8

I found that lower than 16 or 18 lbs cuased the top end of the quarter mile to be too squirrly... Plus lowerin the pressure below that didnt help 60 foots on my truck

Doug

ken cryder
07-13-2004, 09:57 PM
i'm running 28x10x16s with 355s in the rear end and a stock stall on the conveter . and i agree on the used tire issue. or worn. i tried ets and i was all over the track. the hoosiers have out lasted the ets, and bfgoodrich drag radials or the nitto drg . are you spinning off the line ?

ken

r1eater
07-14-2004, 07:09 PM
i'm running 28x10x16s with 355s in the rear end and a stock stall on the conveter . and i agree on the used tire issue. or worn. i tried ets and i was all over the track. the hoosiers have out lasted the ets, and bfgoodrich drag radials or the nitto drg . are you spinning off the line ?

ken

Yup, as soon as I hit it it spins then catches in 2nd. Now i have to figure out how to sneak some money out to buy some new slicks :) As Soon as I get home I'll post some videos from this past MM event so you can see it. Plus I got some nice footage of Terrys 10 sec monster. :eek: