PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling the truck

00Bolt
07-13-2004, 12:40 PM
First off, i wanna say that I love this truck... it is still my all time favorite truck. But I dont think im the right owner for it. I litterally drive it 10.6 miles per day. I never take it to the track or anything. I drive to and from work, and pay nearly $600/month to do so... I love this truck, but would like to get into something a little cheaper because im buying a new boat soon...

anyway, I havent totally made up my mind, I may keep her... but just wanted to get an idea of what you guys think I could get if I did sell it. I was trying to decide which would be better, either just sell it as is or sell each mod seperate and then sell the truck in "stock form"

I owe about $16,800 i think is my payoff....

2000 Ford Lightning
74,000 miles (new engine replaced at around 50,000)

PSP Dual Flip Chip (street & race)
4lb pulley
JLP ram air kit
rancho bars
40 series flowmaster exhaust
90 mm
denso it20 plugs
ftvb
ported eaton
accufab throttle body
3 pillar gauge cluster
soft factory tonneau
cobra style ram air hood
billet pedals
real clear tailights
blacked out projector headlights/corners
speed grille
custom stereo system (focal + jl audio)
rear shackles

thats off top of my head, im sure theres a few more things.... if I sold the truck as is, how much do you think I can get for it... and if I sold each thing seperate, how much u think I can get for the truck in stock form??

Silver_2000
07-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Dont forget to figure in 2-5k loss on every transaction....

00Bolt
07-13-2004, 01:31 PM
what do you mean 2-5k loss on every transaction???

iv been looking on ebay and autotrader and I think i can probably get around $16,500 for my truck in stock form... and if I sold every little piece seperate, thats another $1500-$2000 extra... so I could actually come out ahead... any thoughts on me getting $16,500???

Alpine
07-13-2004, 01:44 PM
I think 16,000-16,500 would be very fair. I would leave something on it like the hood to give it a little more selling power if your going to sell it to an individual. If you trade it in I would sell everything.

I hope you dont sell it, but if you do you should be able to get what you got in it and maybe a lttle more with your mods. :tu:
Jeff.

Silver_2000
07-13-2004, 02:02 PM

iv been looking on ebay and autotrader and I think i can probably get around $16,500 for my truck in stock form... and if I sold every little piece seperate, thats another $1500-$2000 extra... so I could actually come out ahead... any thoughts on me getting $16,500???So in your experince you can sell and buy a car and come out ahead ?
Thats great BUT for most people the transaction costs them 2k-5k. They typically ignore it because all they care about is the payment - not the term

Ask Terry how much he made selling his HUGE list of mods

Doug

99WhiteBeast
07-13-2004, 03:23 PM
I would sell the mods for cash and try and get what you owe on the sale of the truck.

It is very difficult to find the right person wiliing to pay what you want with all the mods on it- dealership certainly isn't going to give you any more for the mods.

Tex Arcana
07-13-2004, 03:27 PM

iv been looking on ebay and autotrader and I think i can probably get around $16,500 for my truck in stock form... and if I sold every little piece seperate, thats another $1500-$2000 extra... so I could actually come out ahead... any thoughts on me getting $16,500???

Selling your vehicle costs money, *someone* gets to pay the taxes (usually the buyer, but it comes out of your sellig price), the cost of advertising, your time, etc. Also, if you pull the power parts, that costs your time, and you never get what you paid for them. So, when all that is done, you've maybe gotten enough to pay off the truck, and maybe (being generous) $2k for the power parts. Then you have to replace the truck, which will cost more time and money, and you know $2k might not cut it for a down payment.

At best, you might break even; at worst, you lose that $2-$4k becasue you can't pay the entire loan off, even with selling the power parts, meaning you end up rolling that back into the next vehicle... the costs climb every time you do that. So, even if you're getting a cheaper car and better fuel milage, you still wo'nt make up the losses.

See?

StormShadow
07-13-2004, 03:41 PM
I'll race you for pink slips Scott. Then you won't have to worry about selling it. :evil

00Bolt
07-13-2004, 03:55 PM
ok, ill get on my brothers busa and race your L....

sonicbluetommy
07-13-2004, 06:19 PM

HHHHMMMMM, I might just put some money on the L for this one?!?!?!?! or a beer at the very least :beer: Actually the new 1000 gixxer would have a better chance of beating him, busa's are too slow off the line. I have seen the new gixxer roast a ton of busa's even modded ones off the line. The most horses and higher top end do not make the quickest--i think Dodge is learning that lesson the hard way :throw:

Silver_2000
07-13-2004, 08:13 PM
Selling your vehicle costs money, *someone* gets to pay the taxes (usually the buyer, but it comes out of your sellig price), the cost of advertising, your time, etc. Also, if you pull the power parts, that costs your time, and you never get what you paid for them. So, when all that is done, you've maybe gotten enough to pay off the truck, and maybe (being generous) $2k for the power parts. Then you have to replace the truck, which will cost more time and money, and you know $2k might not cut it for a down payment.

At best, you might break even; at worst, you lose that $2-$4k becasue you can't pay the entire loan off, even with selling the power parts, meaning you end up rolling that back into the next vehicle... the costs climb every time you do that. So, even if you're getting a cheaper car and better fuel milage, you still wo'nt make up the losses.

See?
Dont forget PROFIT + Markup

Drive off the lot depreciation....

L8 APEX
07-13-2004, 10:14 PM
KBB says 14,275 for a 2000 l w/ 74K miles. That is close to what Carmax would pay. You may get a little more from an individual. Always part it out, nobody pays for mods with the truck. Depends how long you hold on to the parts you may get 1500 plus depending on the quality of painted parts.

FRDRCING
07-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Why was the motor replaced at 50,000 miles?

Tex Arcana
07-14-2004, 12:32 PM
Dont forget PROFIT + Markup

Drive off the lot depreciation....

Yeah, but taht just beats a person completely down.. I wasn't trying to drive him into a drinking depression over it... :tu:

Moonshine
07-15-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how 10.6 miles per day equals 74,000 miles on a 4 year old truck. :confused:

L-Fever
07-15-2004, 02:19 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how 10.6 miles per day equals 74,000 miles on a 4 year old truck. :confused:

It must be the "new" math or something! :rll:

r1eater
07-15-2004, 02:52 PM

I'll race both of ya'll bring the L and bring the BUSA. ON thing though it has to be from a stop in the rain, :D Oh and I'm using the Audi.. :rll:

Make sure you wash them thangs before you handed them over to me.

r1eater
07-15-2004, 02:54 PM

Me too? :confused:

Alpine
07-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Moonshine,Scott bought it used about 10 months ago and I think it had about 68,000 miles. (I am probably not exactly right on the numbers but close)He does live really close to his work. I am sure when he first got it he drove it more than 10 miles a day.I know I drove the heck out of mine.:tu:
Buttfungus.. New math, nope, just some guy that doesnt know what the heck someones situation is. Go have a beer and give the guy a break allready.:beer:

L-Fever
07-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Moonshine,Scott bought it used about 10 months ago and I think it had about 68,000 miles. (I am probably not exactly right on the numbers but close)He does live really close to his work. I am sure when he first got it he drove it more than 10 miles a day.I know I drove the heck out of mine.:tu:
Buttfungus.. New math, nope, just some guy that doesnt know what the heck someones situation is. Go have a beer and give the guy a break allready.:beer:

Ouch! :hammer: Easy now, I was just havin fun! :beer:

Alpine
07-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Ouch! :hammer: Easy now, I was just havin fun! :beer:Oh, sorry man.......knana When I get home from working outside, my brain is a fried and I dont think clearly!:D

L-Fever
07-15-2004, 05:14 PM
Oh, sorry man.......knana When I get home from working outside, my brain is a fried and I dont think clearly!:D

No problemo, My first job out of college was in a stinkin foundry! Talk about heat! Anyone that works in this heat get's my respect! :tu: It is hot as @#$% out there! :beer:

Silver_2000
07-15-2004, 05:36 PM
:ron: Well I live 10 miles from work and have owned mine since new - I have 78 or so thousand miles on my 2000 ... I wonder how many less miles theer are on the front axles ... :d

Ivanhoe_Farms
07-15-2004, 09:05 PM
My 2000 L has about 30K miles on it right now so I use it less than you do ---- My bass boat has been sitting in the barn for 2 1/2 years and you could buy a new Harley for the price of the boat --- the boat has not been used in 2 1/2 years. Hope you have better luck with yours;)

00Bolt
07-16-2004, 12:32 PM
ya i bought the truck in November I belive and it had 69k on it... it hasnt reached 75k yet... like 74,500 I belive.... so in 8 months iv put a little over 5k miles....not bad...

and the engine was replaced for the same reason all of them were replaced... blown plug.... but it was before I owned the truck.... i just know when I called ford before i bought it to check, they said the entire engine was replaced, not just repaired....

still not sure i wanna sell it, i love this truck.... just kinda shooting around the idea of it

Tex Arcana
07-19-2004, 03:09 PM

You ran out of fingers and toes? :d