PDA

View Full Version : need help,,on dragging ?

mc-svt
07-27-2004, 08:04 PM
hi guys
last sunday seen me get an invite to a large motor show ,but they only called me on the thurs night,so i said yes i would take the l ,as i got there it wasnt on the program,which ment not many people knew it was there,
any way the drag,,its a small oval,there was f40 f50 355, 348 ferraris ,lambo diablo,lambo countach, ac cobra,and a few others
what they did was start em oppsite ends the one who cought up first wins, the track being small seens these cars hit second then brake then back into first,,,,
i never put the l up against em,,,but it would have won ,
i didnt want to realy go on the track but he calls any others, couple of guys insisted so on i went,,,as i came down the slip road the window was down i heard em all shouting ,,and talking saying this thing would waste them ferrars,so i pulled forward and let it screech a lil,,some of the crowd was cheering i wasnt on track yet,,,any way on to track i got round to stand and got pulled over buy the guy on the mic,,asking what it was ,i just told him it was an l,,thats all,,i pulled away aplied a lil brake and smoked the stand out ,,ha ha,,as i got to other end i herd the mashall say it wasnt even tring,,,second lap the guy on mic shouts out we just found out what that is,,
so guys i have next show to go to in 2 weeks,,,,
this is my first automatic motor,,,,how do i take of,,
do i just let it tick over put it in drive then hit it,,or hold up the revs a bit and select 1 or 2,,,,
sounds stupid i know but i dont no the l is just run it now,,
so being tune it up now,,any advice on this as well guys,,

r1eater
07-27-2004, 08:20 PM
where are you from?

mc-svt
07-27-2004, 08:24 PM
sounds daft ,,but see where it says my name ,,,,,lol,,,,,
u see it,,,,,yeah scotland,,,,,about 6k miles away ,,,the land where no one knows what an l is ,nor seen one,,,

mc-svt
07-27-2004, 08:30 PM
forgot to say guys,,,,there was a jag xj 220,,,,
big slug car,,,the guy couldnt hit second,,on a difrent track it should have bet them all,,,,its the track to small,

with an auto box you would catch em easy,,

must admit nothing sounds like a lambo diablo ,,what a note,,

Silver_2000
07-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Norman

We need a little help - Your type of racing is completely different from what we do here ... Can you decribe a little clearer what your goal is ?

Are you trying to luanch the lightning from a stop as quick as possible ? On What surface ? Road ?
With what kind of tires ? Stock ?
Is your truck stock ?
How far are you racing 1/8 mile or longer ?

Get us started with this info and I'm sure youll get some help

Doug

03LightningRocks
07-28-2004, 12:27 AM
If I am reading your post right Norman, this sounds like fun. I am picturing an oval track.... 2 cars on the track...one at each end. They get the go signal and both try to catch the other....that would be fun to do:nana2 .

As Doug asked...the distance of the track is important to know. Also where on the track they place you....if you have to make a sharp turn just after you launch, that would cause you to have to launch easier than if you get to start on the beginning of the straight.

On the shifting....since it is automatic...you could just leave it in drive and let the truck do the shifting. With the stock converter...you can launch from idle about as well as trying to rev it up. 1000-1100 RPM's is about the max you would want to "rev" it up to if you feel you just have to rev it up.

I would love to see some vids of this if you get the chance to tape it.

Rocks:nana2

mc-svt
07-28-2004, 02:20 PM
sorry guys should have said,
the track is very small and is oval, to the level the jag xj220,never got out of first,but the lambo and f40 just hit second then into corner and back to first,
they start em ,,2 ways either or one on each corner just coming onto straight and they also start em at start of straight
one car starts half way round the track from other and first to catch the other wins,
this is not racing i have seen or done, and granted all these cars would take out the l,,,but the track being so small and they spend most of time changing from 1 to 2 ,,then back to 1,gear,,,,i think i have the edge,
wish i took my camera ,,but the next show is in 2 weeks,,
my l is totaly standard,,,i am looking to tune it now ,its just run in,,thing is i got realy good prices for al the tune up from rpm,,,,,then read gastly storys here so was hoping for u guys to help me with that,
there is only 3 ls i know of in scotland next show will see 2 of em,, cheers guys,,

mc-svt
07-28-2004, 02:30 PM
never seen any one do this ,
a guy came on with a race tvr tuscan,,
when he started it up ,,he put it on rev limiter,then let the clutch out it was side ways the hole track,,then he throws it round while spinning in a donut he jumped out,,and left it there spinning on limiter,
he then jumps into another and does the same he chased em jumped back in and shut em down,,
next was good,,,he was side ways on the track when he throw it round into a donut,jumps runs into crowd,,this guy was trying to get a pic ,well he pulls him over fence.sits him infront of the car and takes the pic for him,,all this time the car is screeming round on a donut no one in it,
he then takes a this blonde out tells her to stand there,,says what ever u do dont move ,
he takes a run at her spins round her ,and donuts round her the tvr must have been about 1 inch of her feet all the way,it was at the end when he left em spinning no one in them i relised they were remote control,,cause points at em says stop ,,,and they both halted, but the guy was good real good,

anglerx007
07-28-2004, 03:34 PM
Almost like reading a really long text message isn't it. :confused:

03LightningRocks
07-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Almost like reading a really long text message isn't it. :confused:
Yeah...but I can make sense of it. It's pretty cool having an L brother over seas:beer: .

So...mc svt....to answer your question about tuning. First, good decision on staying away from RPM outlet. I have read some posts that don't speak highly of them.

I bet our local tuner(L8 Apex) can hook you up with some basic tuning files. As you get more advanced with your mods...you will have to dyno where you are and get some data files to send to him. It's pretty easy to do...it can just start getting a bit expensive.

He also likes to do the road racing bit...which is pretty close to what you describe....you two should hook up, it could work out good for you both.

Don't forget to get some vids of that racing....I would get a big kick out of seeing that.

Rocks:beer:

anglerx007
07-28-2004, 04:58 PM
Yeah...but I can make sense of it. It's pretty cool having an L brother over seas:beer: .

Rocks:beer:

I agree.

I'd like to know how our Scottish friend likes having to keep two sets of wrenches, metric and SAE. Is Europe all metric or a little of both?

Silver_2000
07-28-2004, 05:06 PM
I agree.

I'd like to know how our Scottish friend likes having to keep two sets of wrenches, metric and SAE. Is Europe all metric or a little of both?
Most of the truck is metric isnt it ??

dboat
07-28-2004, 08:51 PM
It seemed that the last post he was talking about "drifting" as best as I can tell.. but the part about putting two cars on a small oval and then have them chase each other does sound pretty cool.. It would take a while to do this at Daytona though :eek: :evil

Dana

Tex Arcana
07-30-2004, 04:15 AM
sorry guys should have said,
the track is very small and is oval, to the level the jag xj220,never got out of first,but the lambo and f40 just hit second then into corner and back to first,
they start em ,,2 ways either or one on each corner just coming onto straight and they also start em at start of straight
one car starts half way round the track from other and first to catch the other wins,
this is not racing i have seen or done, and granted all these cars would take out the l,,,but the track being so small and they spend most of time changing from 1 to 2 ,,then back to 1,gear,,,,i think i have the edge,
wish i took my camera ,,but the next show is in 2 weeks,,
my l is totaly standard,,,i am looking to tune it now ,its just run in,,thing is i got realy good prices for al the tune up from rpm,,,,,then read gastly storys here so was hoping for u guys to help me with that,
there is only 3 ls i know of in scotland next show will see 2 of em,, cheers guys,,

I guess it depends on how fast you can get on the straights, what you do in regards to your gear shifting. I've been autocrossing mine, and since it rarely breaks 65mph, I just start it in second, and leave it there. However, if you're gonna break 75mph in second (which is redline on a stock L), then you're gonna need 3rd, and at that point, your best bet is to turn off OD, and leave it in D. Otherwise, if you're not breaking into the rev limiter (75mph), you can either put it in ist and shift to 2nd and leave it there, or launch from 2nd.

This is fairly confusing, tho: have any vid of these races?