PDA

View Full Version : Quick Tire Poll

dboat
07-30-2004, 05:55 PM
I was wondering what tire is everyone running or better yet, what is the most popular tire for L's in N Tx.
Dana

True Blue Aggie
07-30-2004, 05:58 PM
F1's with two on backorder....

There is a national backorder on all corrrectly sized F1's for our trucks. Supposed to update the backorder status the first week of August....:mad:

99WhiteBeast
07-30-2004, 06:15 PM
I'm going on my forth set of F1's with 70k on the ticker. Bought two sets new, one set used and one used set free:D .

I love the F1's when they are new but the price and wear has me leaning more towards the Nitto's next time I buy new.

TP Derrick D
07-30-2004, 06:22 PM
I had F1's on my truck one factory And took another brand new set off to put 20"s on,can't think of the name, but they are equal to F1's only in 20's. not GTII 's,a new brand to replace the Comp TA brand

my2002lightning
07-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Dana,

I ran the stock F1s on the '02 for ~19K miles until I picked up a slow leak in one of the tread/sidewall. They tended to wear pretty fast, but I don't race every weekend like most around here.

I have the Toyos with a 420 tread rating (versus the 300 for the F1/555 replacements) as that's what I wanted.

I can barely detect any wear on them after approx. 2K miles.

I know Crawford, Garett and Brian run them too.

Ronald

sonicbluetommy
07-30-2004, 07:53 PM
Have 20,500 on my F1's with about 1/3 tread life left but haven't raced it at all yet at the drags or the SCCA events. I know it is a really sticky tire compared to anything I ever had on my mustangs (BF Good, Toyo's, and some other off brand starting with an "F"). I think I will try the Nitto's next just to see if I can tell a difference.

My question is are the Nitto's rated for 1500lbs of bed capacity? I have occasionally (3 times) had more than a 1000lb in my truck and had to run 300 to 400mi with that weight.

Silver_2000
07-30-2004, 09:01 PM
I run the F1's

I like to buy them cheap

They get good traction

tliss
07-30-2004, 09:18 PM
I have gotten better traction with the Nittos, and they look like they are going to last a lot longer than the F1s did. I got ~22000 out of my F1s and I've all ready got about ~13000 on my Nittos and stil have a little over 3/4 of the tread left.

In addition, when I got mine they were cheaper than the F1s, and I think they are superior.

Tom

dboat
07-31-2004, 09:23 AM
So far its almost 50/50 F1 and Nitto 555.. My OEM tires lasted 23k miles on them and yes I do drive granny a lot, just not as much as Ronald. I was trying to get them again when I ran into the "they are not available nationwide and wont go back into production until around July 4th" story. I had a slow leak at the sidewall/tread interface and didnt want to lose precious summer driving time up here. So I went for the Nittos and they were here in a day from Discount Tire.
I have been impressed with them, they are sticky, they handle the rain great and the ride has been good without more road noise than the F1's.. And yes Tom THEY WERE CHEAPER!! So not sure I will go back unless the mileage is dramatically lower.
I almost went for the Hankooks, as they were another $40 cheaper but they were going to take longer to get here..
Keep up the vote. Its interesting to see what folks have, especially those that vote in the "other" tire category.
Dana

TX SVT LIGHTNING
07-31-2004, 09:35 AM
I have F1's still but when needed will be going with NT-555s. Have been using them on all my previous vehicles since they arrived in the US :)

UUDLOSE
07-31-2004, 10:45 AM
Bought my truck last November (used) with 28,900 + miles on her. She had Nitto's on her then, and it appeared that they had all 28,900 miles on them. Terry did the first and second set of mod's to the truck for me, once in January, and more recently, in May. He told me in may that I should consider new tires, as I was getting close to the indicator. Since I do a lot of "granny driving" (cruise control) on the highway, I feel that is a big reason they have lasted this long.

Still rolling on them at 43,000 +, however I am getting ready to get new ones, as i am finally down to the tread wear indicator on them. I rotate them every 6,000 miles, when I do every other oil change. Had to buy a new one last month 'cause I picked up a 1/4" bolt where the sidewall and tread come together, which couldn't be fixed. Will be buying the other 3 this month.

Have had the truck at Kennedale a couple/three times since I bought her. I run with the pressure at 24 lbs. They bite real good if heated up properly, they hold real well on the road in the rain, and seem to hold on pretty good when cornering. I haven't driven with the F1's, so I can't give you a comparison, just what I have experienced with the Nitto's. Hope this helps.

BC Lightning
07-31-2004, 09:54 PM
I personally like the 555R's as my street tires. In bad weather you have to watch it more, but when its dry they really hook up. Great for when people try and race me on the street.

Tex Arcana
08-01-2004, 12:11 AM
THis particular set of F1s I managed to get almost 25k out of them, where the previous two sets went 13k and 15k, respectively. I'm surprised that I got this much out of them, especially since I patently do NOT granny my truck (ask Ronald how much Prozac he needed after a spin with me).

I liked how the F1s handled, even in the rain when new. As they wore, they did get worse, but that's to be expected. Now, they're all either at the indicators, or almost there, I lost one to strike three at the autocross (picked up a BOLT, of all things), got a pinhole in the edge of the tread on the right front, so I"m basically screwed. Any time and money I spend trying to get another month out of them is just money down the drain.

So, I'm gonna pull the trigger on a set of Nitto 555s MOnday, because I'd like a bit more milage out of them than I got from these F1s.

dboat
08-01-2004, 05:56 AM
I think you will be happy with the Nitto's. Let us know what you think after you have had them for a while. Too bad you didnt have them during all the rain, they handle the wet pretty good.

As an aside, does everyone know that they can click on the votes and see who voted for which tire?
Dana

Also, anyone out there running Hankooks? I almost went that route.. just curious. I did see where some over on F150online had used em.

Dana

03LightningRocks
08-01-2004, 09:32 AM
I had no idea you could click on the votes like that.

Thanks Dana

Rocks

dboat
08-01-2004, 09:54 AM
I had no idea you could click on the votes like that.

Thanks Dana

Rocks

We aim to please... :evil
Dana

Sixpipes
08-01-2004, 12:02 PM
Gen I ---> Falkens.
Gen II --> 444 Nittos.

dboat
08-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Gen I ---> Falkens.
Gen II --> 444 Nittos.

Dennis, out of curiosity, how did you decide to go with the 444's? also, how do they compare to the F1's?
Dana

jlightning01
08-01-2004, 04:31 PM
I bought a set of Toyo Proxies about a year ago and spin all over the place. I would not recomend Toyo tires to anyone, at least not the Proxies. They do give my L a good look though and they do not waste easy either, but I can't step on it a little because the tires will start squeeling I think next time I will go with the F1's or Nittos.

anglerx007
08-01-2004, 05:09 PM
This is very useful information. Thanks for posting it up. What I would like to see is a second poll of what tires people choose :tu: after the stock F1's wear out.

Sixpipes
08-02-2004, 07:48 AM
Dennis, out of curiosity, how did you decide to go with the 444's? also, how do they compare to the F1's?
Dana
Dana

As you know, I have 20" wheels and the Nitto's came in a 305/40 which was the widest available in 20. A little too wide as it turns out, but I bought them because they were a fairly hard rubber compound (longer wear). They actually work better than I expected. I have 23K miles on them and I probably can get another 15-20K by the looks of the rubber. :cool:

Crawford
08-02-2004, 10:44 AM
As it turns out I will be in the tire market this year. I have the Toyo Proxies and I have been very pleased. I have about 30k on them and they are starting to get very close to the wear bars which still leaves them with plenty of tread. I may consider the Nittos 555s this time around just for the hell of it.

Anyone know what the tread rating on the Nittos is and what they are going for these days?

Also anyone see any good deals on the Proxies? I remember LFP had good deals on them a while back... hmm might be about time to call Mark.

Band
08-02-2004, 11:09 AM
As it turns out I will be in the tire market this year. I have the Toyo Proxies and I have been very pleased. I have about 30k on them and they are starting to get very close to the wear bars which still leaves them with plenty of tread. I may consider the Nittos 555s this time around just for the hell of it.

Anyone know what the tread rating on the Nittos is and what they are going for these days?

Also anyone see any good deals on the Proxies? I remember LFP had good deals on them a while back... hmm might be about time to call Mark.

This passed weekend I had my 2 front tires go flat from tread separation. Unfortunately the front ones were the good tires... I'll be getting some tires this evening or tomorrow evening. I plan to go for the Nitto 555's.

I got 19k out of the F1's. I'm gonna try Terry's hookup and discount tire. NTB doesn't sell Nitto's.

my2002lightning
08-02-2004, 11:20 AM
I paid $909~ installed + for my Proxies with the Discount Tire road-hazard ins. from Terry's hookup Brooks. That's $179/tire.

I know the Proxies have a tread-rating of 420 (or 400 I'm certain) and all the F1s, 555s are 300 tread-ratings.

anglerx007
08-02-2004, 12:31 PM
What does the tread-wear rating mean?

Moonshine
08-02-2004, 01:08 PM
I bought a set of Toyo Proxies about a year ago and spin all over the place. I would not recomend Toyo tires to anyone, at least not the Proxies. They do give my L a good look though and they do not waste easy either, but I can't step on it a little because the tires will start squeeling I think next time I will go with the F1's or Nittos.
You just gotta' learn to feather the throttle a bit coming off the line. :d

Tex Arcana
08-02-2004, 03:41 PM
I think you will be happy with the Nitto's. Let us know what you think after you have had them for a while. Too bad you didnt have them during all the rain, they handle the wet pretty good.

As an aside, does everyone know that they can click on the votes and see who voted for which tire?
Dana

Also, anyone out there running Hankooks? I almost went that route.. just curious. I did see where some over on F150online had used em.

Dana

Thanks.. I called my local DT today, and they're gettin' them in for $208@, and they're throwing in lifetime rotation/balancing, and lifetime warranty/repair. Walking out the door for a hair over $900. Now I gotta wait for them to get in (2-3 days).

dboat
08-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Did you check the preferred vendor here on the 555's? Also, they are 197 from DT on the internet free shipping. But I dont know how much they are installed and such..
Dana

Tex Arcana
08-02-2004, 10:50 PM
Did you check the preferred vendor here on the 555's? Also, they are 197 from DT on the internet free shipping. But I dont know how much they are installed and such..
Dana

When you roll in the rotation/balance AND the lifetime repair warranty (normally $20 per tire), the deal falls into place quite nicely. ANd buying off the web still requires mountand balancing, which costs additional. THis way, I get the whole nine yards, and a place that knows me well and will treat me well. :)

Band
08-02-2004, 11:02 PM
When you roll in the rotation/balance AND the lifetime repair warranty (normally $20 per tire), the deal falls into place quite nicely. ANd buying off the web still requires mountand balancing, which costs additional. THis way, I get the whole nine yards, and a place that knows me well and will treat me well. :)

Terry's hookup just ordered 4 nitto 555's. With mount, lifetime balance, and tax is $822

Tex Arcana
08-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Terry's hookup just ordered 4 nitto 555's for me today. With mount, lifetime balance, and tax is $822

EDIT: But does that include the lifetime roadhazard and replacement warranty?

Band
08-02-2004, 11:16 PM
EDIT: But does that include the lifetime roadhazard and replacement warranty?

I don't know, I wouldn't pay for it if it doesn't...

my2002lightning
08-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Not a bad deal at all, Sayle.

Terry's hookup just ordered 4 nitto 555's. With mount, lifetime balance, and tax is $822

True Blue Aggie
08-03-2004, 05:19 PM
FYI.....Goodyear is still not producing the F1 295/45-18 for our truck at this time. There is a national backorder for this tire, with the dated availability Sept. 4th.
So how ghetto will it look to have two Nittos on the rears, and two Goodyear F1s on the front???????:Bullshit

ken cryder
08-03-2004, 06:46 PM
i just started running the nittos 404s . they have a wear rating at 420 . if most of the guys here are like me it doesn't matter what you have they all spin with the torque that these trucks create . thats why i went to the 315/60/18 on the rear . it.s a taller tire , so it changes you gear ratio in the rear end enough to help lessen the spinning and hook up much quicker than f1s , toyo or 555s drags . i could spin the 555rs easier than i can these 404s . some people say that they are not performance tires , they are rated at 129mph sustained . now where are we going tp be running that fast around here .

ken

dboat
08-03-2004, 09:26 PM
It is a dead heat between the F1's and the Nitto 555's. When you read the posts, it seems that most folks are pretty happy with the tire they have now.. no unusuals in here, was hoping for a Hankook post, we did have a Goodrich post and Dennis' and Ken's Nitto 404 post as well. Toyo's seem to have the most polarizing posts, people either loved em or hated em..
Hope we keep this up a bit longer to see if there are any more changes in the overall count.
Thanks
Dana :tu: :tu: