PDA

View Full Version : Rotors on the L

anglerx007
08-04-2004, 02:21 PM
I was told that Ford has "softened" their rotors over the past 4 years to address owners complaints about braking noise. The negative affect was rotors wearing out after 30-40k. I don't know if the L falls into this category. For those of us running stock brakes, how many miles to you have on your original rotors...have they been turned/replaced.

tliss
08-04-2004, 02:52 PM
2001, alomst 36K miles...no brake maintenance as of yet (probably going to do it toward the end of the year). The rears are squeaking due to power braking, but other than that no noise or issues.

Tom

my2002lightning
08-04-2004, 03:53 PM
I have 23K~ on my stock '02 L brake setup with the occassional ABS tapping against my foot under hard/soft braking.

Ronald

anglerx007
08-04-2004, 04:05 PM
I suspect, if there is any truth to what I was told, it did not apply to the SVT vehicles. I'm approaching 22k on mine and was a little concerned since new tires are definately on the horizon.

Is it customary for Chevy truck owners to refuse to make eye contact after being spanked by an L? :nana2

Tex Arcana
08-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Is it customary for Chevy truck owners to refuse to make eye contact after being spanked by an L? :nana2

Post story and/or pics of said kill. :d

my2002lightning
08-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Yes, they typically give you the "smelled sh!t" look when they catch up with you at the next stop light.

All to be expected.:cool:

Ronald

I suspect, if there is any truth to what I was told, it did not apply to the SVT vehicles. I'm approaching 22k on mine and was a little concerned since new tires are definately on the horizon.

tliss
08-04-2004, 06:10 PM

It is customary for anyone that gets beat by a Lightning to do that. They underestimate what these things can do, and it is nice to show them they are wrong. :burnout:

Tom

anglerx007
08-05-2004, 09:39 AM
Post story and/or pics of said kill. :d

When I left work the other day I pulled onto a two lane road in the industrial part of town. At that same time coming from the other direction a Chevy truck pulled a U-turn and intead of staying in the left lane he cut me off. OK, this did'nt rattle me until I noticed he was excellerating way too much to not be noticed. I pull up beside him at the next 4-way, me on the left and him on the right. Not pissed yet. Through the intersection is a pretty serious S-curve. At this point I'm thinking about getting home more thean the a-wipe in the Chevy. I like to excellerate through said S-curve, midway I notice the chevy is right beside me so I give it some more and he's still there I give it some more and I hear is tires break traction. I'm coming up on a light with a car in front of me so I let off to avoid getting fish-tailed into. At the light the Chevy has the pole position on the right and it just so happens my friend from work has pole position on the left. I pull up right behind the Chevy. When the light turns green the Chevy lets me hear the Flowmasters and whatever else he's got as we go through the intersection, as soon as I clear my friends car on the left I change lanes pull up beside the Chevy wave and let it Whine with extreme prejudious. I reach the nest intersection in the left lane the light is red. I figured the Chevy would come up beside me for a thumbs up or a head nod kinda exchange. But this guy did'nt let his front bumper go past my exhaust pipes. So we sit there like that until the light changes and then he makes a right turn.

As far a I know the Chevy was a newer Silverado with at least some exhaust work. Thefact that the L was faster is not the story. It was how he avoided me at the last traffic light. If I were in the other truck I would have given the thumbs up or something.

Here's the kicker, the next day when I went out to my truck there was a Cop in the parking lot just sitting there. :eek: Since this has never happened before I immediately thought that maybe someone called about my excessive speed the other day, it was excessive. So I nonchalantly as possible get into my truck an figure the cop will pull me over for the tag thing as an excuse. So I pull out of the parking lot slowly in the opposite direction and take a different route home. The cop did not follow. It was my last day of "deffered". Today I'm a free man. knana

TP Derrick D
08-05-2004, 12:49 PM
[QUOTE=anglerx007]I was told that Ford has "softened" their rotors over the past 4 years to address owners complaints about braking noise. The negative affect was rotors wearing out after 30-40k. I don't know if the L falls into this category. For those of us running stock brakes, how many miles to you have on your original rotors...have they been turned/replaced.[/QUOT

I replaced mind at 42,000 last year .Mainly because I wanted an upgrade with Terry's EBC's since I changed to 20" wheels. I had an encounter of brakes not wanting to stop,smoking rotors,boiled fluid after I almost went thur a light after "testing" the top speed of the new wheel setup. I still have my factory rotors and would use them if it was necessary. They are not cracked or warped so I would say unless you did something worst than me to them ,you should be good to go.

UUDLOSE
08-05-2004, 06:25 PM
2001 L, original rotors, no squeals, 41K miles. Bought it with 29,900 on the truck, all stock. No problems yet.