PDA

View Full Version : air vs fuel question

anglerx007
08-12-2004, 03:19 PM
If you increase boost with a pulley change at what point do you need to increase the fuel input capability. Are the L's equipped to handle the full 16#'s of boost? How much margin is there?

02BOLT
08-12-2004, 10:25 PM
Anytime you increase boost, it is a good idea to have a chip or programmer of some sort that is tuned accordingly. It is also a good a idea to then check your A/F ratio on a dynojet equipped with some sort of wide band O2 sensor to ensure that the tune is SAFE!!!

16psi is WAAAY TOOOO much boost to be running on the stock programming....safely. Give Terry (Performance Research) a call, or check out his forum here on TALON. He can get you set up.

Later,
Rob

anglerx007
08-12-2004, 10:45 PM
Rob,

So if I understand you correctly, the stock fuel system hardware can handle the SC demand at 16psi. The software/firmware on the computer chip needs to be adjusted? If you make this adjustment for 16psi then what happens when you are not needing boost? Do you have to flip a switch to tell the chip to change programs are do you have a lap top riding shotgun?

Sorry if the questions are ignorant... consider the source.

02BOLT
08-15-2004, 09:29 PM
First of all, let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly....

1. Are you running your stock Eaton?
2. Assumming you're using the stock Eaton...What pulley combo are you using to get 16psi?

The Eaton is not a particularly efficient blower, so to make 16psi, you have to spin the he!! out of it...ESPECIALLY in the Summer months.http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/eek2.gif The problem this creates is the faster you spin the S/C, the more HEAT it is going to create. This added heat will at this point begin to cancel out the effects of the added boost (in terms of power production).

Keep in mind that "boost" is merely a measurement of pressure present in the intake tract. More "boost" does NOT always translate into MORE power. If you're pushing that much pressure into the motor with the stock S/C, I would strongly advise a couple things...
1. Aftermarket Heat Exchanger(larger capacity) which will aid in reducing the incoming air temp charge.
2. Phenolic Spacer between the upper manifold and blower(which isolates the upper intake from the HOT S/C case, which enables the S/C to ingest cooler air to begin with.)
3. Fans on Heat Exchanger to pull air across the fins to help further cool the intercooler fluid.
4. The proper gages(boost, fuel pressure, etc...) to monitor what the engine is up to.

Lastly in reference to the processor....When the truck is under "normal" driving conditions...ie...cruising down the highway...or...stop and go traffic...the engine is in "vacuum". Most chips and programmers ONLY change the fuel/timing parameters under FULL THROTTLE/FULL BOOST conditions. So under "normal" driving and part throttle conditions, the truck is operating on the "stock" fuel/timing tables, which is fine because there is no boost being introduced into the engine under those conditions.

Finally, in reference to the stock fuel system (pumps, injectors, rails, etc...), this system will support upwards of 450 RWHP(500+Flywheel) safely,...475 at the MOST(550+ at Flywheel).

Once again, make DAMN sure you check your A/F and ENSURE your combo is TUNED for the amount of boost you're shoving into that motor. I cannot stress this enough. If you don't, you will have too much HOT air coming in and not enough fuel to COOL it off, which will ultimately result in catastrophic engine failure!http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif Especially at your boost levels. Sorry 'bout the book.

Goodluckhttp://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif ,
Rob

Alpine
08-15-2004, 09:38 PM
:bows Rob.

03LightningRocks
08-15-2004, 09:41 PM
One other issue to keep in mind.

The MAF meter will start pegging out in this boost range. Hook up a data logger and see at what point you hit 5 volts...from here on up...you are running on luck.

anglerx007
08-16-2004, 11:29 AM
:bows Rob.

I feel as though I have learned something. Thanks very much for the thorough response. :tu:

Tex Arcana
08-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Buy a Whipple, www.whipplesuperchargers.com/ :d

[/thread]