PDA

View Full Version : Custom painting taillights

BLACKSUNSHINE
08-17-2004, 06:10 PM
I know some of you have removed the outer lense on the tail lights and painted the outer chrome around the bulb / reflectors to match the truck. Black w/ blacked out tails looks kick ass. I've heard you can use a heat gun and warm the glue the to remove the lens. I tried this (with other heat methods) and almost melted the lens. Im scared to melt them. Anyone who has done this before want to help me out sometime, of give me helping hand or tip?

jcblack
08-17-2004, 06:52 PM
I know some of you have removed the outer lense on the tail lights and painted the outer chrome around the bulb / reflectors to match the truck. Black w/ blacked out tails looks kick ass. I've heard you can use a heat gun and warm the glue the to remove the lens. I tried this (with other heat methods) and almost melted the lens. Im scared to melt them. Anyone who has done this before want to help me out sometime, of give me helping hand or tip?
you can stick them in the oven

sonicbluetommy
08-17-2004, 07:13 PM
Has anyone tried this with the headlights or the corner markers???

jcblack
08-17-2004, 09:06 PM
Has anyone tried this with the headlights or the corner markers???
Done the corner markers. The headlights are really fragile around the edges, which makes it hard to break the seal. IMO, they cost too much to mess up.

BLACKSUNSHINE
08-18-2004, 09:06 AM
I dont know, stickin the tails in the oven seems dangerous, how long in the oven and how hot, I put the over a gas burner (high over) and i started to melt the egde without the glue ever seperating.

Do I need to sprinkle salt over them, or rub button on it? And I wish I could find a way to do the headlams too that would look wicked.

WA 2 FST
09-02-2004, 06:51 PM
... of tackling this. I have been running around with the '00+ red tails, and was going to give these clear ones away, but thought... nah, might as well try something custom.

So I stuck them in the oven for 15 mins @ 275^ and was able to get the glue soft enough to pry the lens apart. Cleaned them up today. Should have my paint sometime next week. I ordered through PaintScratch.com. They will mix any color you want (and use factory paint codes) in touch-up, spray can, or by the pint/gallon. They even use a flex-additive for when you're applying to plastic parts.:tu:

I'm going to take my time in an effort to do it right... primer, basecoat, clearcoat. We'll see. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

BLACKSUNSHINE
09-02-2004, 08:04 PM
... of tackling this. I have been running around with the '00+ red tails, and was going to give these clear ones away, but thought... nah, might as well try something custom.

So I stuck them in the oven for 15 mins @ 275^ and was able to get the glue soft enough to pry the lens apart. Cleaned them up today. Should have my paint sometime next week. I ordered through PaintScratch.com. They will mix any color you want (and use factory paint codes) in touch-up, spray can, or by the pint/gallon. They even use a flex-additive for when you're applying to plastic parts.:tu:

I'm going to take my time in an effort to do it right... primer, basecoat, clearcoat. We'll see. I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Ok...hmm 15 min @ 275. Its the only lights I have and im BROKE! so i could never (seriously) never be able to buy a pair new. BUT i want black'd out tails, so...i dunno. I'll wait and see how yours turns out.

WA 2 FST
09-02-2004, 10:31 PM
If they are your only lights, then I'm not sure I'd do it, unless you have another vehicle to drive. The process will take more than a day, even if you already have the paint before you take them apart. Once I get my paint its going to be be a 3-step process, at least, + drying time.

There is a guy on F150online who did it and he suggested the 15min @ 275^. I just put them in the oven, one at a time, on a baking tray. Didn't melt anything. I had some Mechanix gloves so I could handle the lenses while hot, though. Otherwise, the glue cools and you can't get them apart.

TX SVT LIGHTNING
09-03-2004, 11:32 AM
I'd like to tackle doing my oem clear lights someday as well, currently have '00 Reds on it.

If all your looking for is black inside the rear lights and no chrome, save a few bucks up and buy the Bermuda Black Lamps-
http://www.coolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=128

Here they are on Tim Skeltons Black Lightning-
http://timskelton.com/lightning/general/taillights.htm

WA 2 FST
09-03-2004, 12:49 PM
Those look really nice for a black truck. Kind of expen$ive, but you have your stockers as a back-up.

I'm going to do mine DSG. We'll see how it turns out.

jcblack
09-03-2004, 05:12 PM
I have those on my truck right now. I'll sell them for $100 as soon as I finish my new set.

Tex Arcana
09-03-2004, 05:57 PM
I have those on my truck right now. I'll sell them for $100 as soon as I finish my new set.

What do you have on your truck??

jcblack
09-03-2004, 06:12 PM
What do you have on your truck??
The one that are posted on the link.

UUDLOSE
09-03-2004, 06:58 PM

I'll take them. PM me and let me know when and where to meet you and pick them up.

Mike

Tex Arcana
09-03-2004, 08:34 PM
I'll take them. PM me and let me know when and where to meet you and pick them up.

Mike

Damn, beaten! :( I'd've taken 'em. :(

jcblack
09-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Not yet. When I finish the new ones, they will be for sale.

BLACKSUNSHINE
09-04-2004, 01:58 PM
Awwww man, I'll take them if you dont UUDLOSE. Too late :(

Tex Arcana
09-05-2004, 12:08 AM
IS the price in that link to the Bermuda Blacks for a single light, or for a set? The website doesn't say one way ot the other. :confused:

jcblack
09-05-2004, 04:10 AM
IS the price in that link to the Bermuda Blacks for a single light, or for a set? The website doesn't say one way ot the other. :confused:
I didnt look at the link, but I paid 250 for mine.

UUDLOSE
09-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Awwww man, I'll take them if you dont UUDLOSE. Too late :(
Talked to Jacob at Steve's this past Saturday, and re-iterated that I wanted them. He says he'll be a callin' me when he gets his new ones in.

Mike

Tex Arcana
09-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Talked to Jacob at Steve's this past Saturday, and re-iterated that I wanted them. He says he'll be a callin' me when he gets his new ones in.

Mike

...basdatidge, fargin' icehole... :flaming: :d

Ken
09-09-2004, 11:29 AM
I'd like to tackle doing my oem clear lights someday as well, currently have '00 Reds on it.

If all your looking for is black inside the rear lights and no chrome, save a few bucks up and buy the Bermuda Black Lamps-
http://www.coolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=128

Here they are on Tim Skeltons Black Lightning-
http://timskelton.com/lightning/general/taillights.htm

That price is way too much.

It's $175 here:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dpstore/forpicflarbl.html

And $140 here:
http://www.sporttruckdirect.com/Ford_Euro_Clear_Tails.html

WA 2 FST
09-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Here are a couple of early pics of what I've got done so far. This is two coats of base color and two coats of clear. Next step is reinstalling the clear lenses (could be tricky).

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/168DSGrearlights2-med.jpg

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/168DSGrearlights2-med.jpg

WA 2 FST
09-09-2004, 03:23 PM
One more with the lense glued back on. Will wait til tomorrow to install on them on the truck. It looks great just sitting there, but I won't know til their back on if I'll be satisfied with the look.

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/168DSGrearlights3-med.jpg

TX SVT LIGHTNING
09-09-2004, 03:35 PM
whats your address so I can send mine to get them in Oxford White? :)

WA 2 FST
09-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Brother Rick,

I'd be happy to do them for you. Just buy the paint. It isn't the cheapest, but I think the match is excellent. www.paintscratch.com (http://www.paintscratch.com). This was the only place I have found that will mix it for a spray can, which is the only way this rookie could do it. ;)
Seriously, the process is not that hard. Fortunately, I could take my time b/c I had an extra set of lights already.

Tex Arcana
09-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Brother Rick,

I'd be happy to do them for you. Just buy the paint. It isn't the cheapest, but I think the match is excellent. www.paintscratch.com (http://www.paintscratch.com). This was the only place I have found that will mix it for a spray can, which is the only way this rookie could do it. ;)
Seriously, the process is not that hard. Fortunately, I could take my time b/c I had an extra set of lights already.

How much did the paint set you back? And how long did it take? Please post pics of 'em on your truck, to, we're dying to see 'em!

WA 2 FST
09-09-2004, 04:34 PM
I'll definitely get some pics once they are on the truck. I want to let the adhesive cure overnight at least.

Basecoat is $29/can, and the clear is $15/can. One can of clear would easily do 4 lights, so you could go in with someone. Probably one can of basecoat would do 4 as well (two coats applied).

It doesn't take long. The paint dries faster than any spray paint I've ever used, and it goes on really evenly (probably just due to its quality, and it should be given the cost). I applied both coats of base yesterday evening, and applied the two coats of clear this morning. It could all be done in a day if it had to be.

Tex Arcana
09-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I'll definitely get some pics once they are on the truck. I want to let the adhesive cure overnight at least.

Basecoat is $29/can, and the clear is $15/can. One can of clear would easily do 4 lights, so you could go in with someone. Probably one can of basecoat would do 4 as well (two coats applied).

It doesn't take long. The paint dries faster than any spray paint I've ever used, and it goes on really evenly (probably just due to its quality, and it should be given the cost). I applied both coats of base yesterday evening, and applied the two coats of clear this morning. It could all be done in a day if it had to be.

What kind of prep did you do to the chrome?

WA 2 FST
09-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Just cleaned it real well with alchohol. That's another reason I'm not 100% sure this is a success. I need to see how they will hold up. It's just plastic, so I got some paint mixed with a flex additive. Hopefully that will work long term.

Tex Arcana
09-09-2004, 05:13 PM
Just cleaned it real well with alchohol. That's another reason I'm not 100% sure this is a success. I need to see how they will hold up. It's just plastic, so I got some paint mixed with a flex additive. Hopefully that will work long term.

prob'ly should'a sanded them first... eagerly anticipating the pics...

WA 2 FST
09-09-2004, 05:19 PM
I considered that Tex. I think as long as the paint sticks, its good. But we'll see. Only time will tell.

Silver_2000
09-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Wes

The attachments are NOT visible to people who are not registered on TALON

We had a bunch of people from F150 registereing JUST to see the pics so I added them to your Gallery and linked to them

Doug

WA 2 FST
09-09-2004, 08:34 PM
My apologies, Doug. That was completely unintentional on my part. I will go edit the other post to delete the link.

Silver_2000
09-09-2004, 10:09 PM
My apologies, Doug. That was completely unintentional on my part. I will go edit the other post to delete the link.
Wes no worries - its not a big deal .. Looks like you and someone from F150 had already grebbed them and put them on another site

FYI

You can add pics to the gallery here real easy ....

WA 2 FST
09-10-2004, 10:21 AM
You can view various pics of the painted lenses at:

http://www.wa2fst.com/7.html

They almost look black in some light, but that's just the way its turning out on camera. In person, its a perfect match and I think it looks very cool.

Now I'll just have to see how they hold up. In several spots the adhesive did spread "inside" the lense on the painted surface. It is clear adhesive, so you don't see it from 3-4' away, but if you get up close you can see it. They are small spots around the edges. So, my first attempt at this was not _perfect_, but it's good enough. I could do better next time.

Tex Arcana
09-10-2004, 05:02 PM
You can view various pics of the painted lenses at:

http://www.wa2fst.com/7.html

They almost look black in some light, but that's just the way its turning out on camera. In person, its a perfect match and I think it looks very cool.

Now I'll just have to see how they hold up. In several spots the adhesive did spread "inside" the lense on the painted surface. It is clear adhesive, so you don't see it from 3-4' away, but if you get up close you can see it. They are small spots around the edges. So, my first attempt at this was not _perfect_, but it's good enough. I could do better next time.

Dam, son, those are NICE. How long did it take you to do 'em?? I'd be willing to try to go without my L, for a nice set of black ones. :D

WA 2 FST
09-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Dam, son, those are NICE. How long did it take you to do 'em?? I'd be willing to try to go without my L, for a nice set of black ones. :D
Tex,

I believe if one was dedicated to getting it done in a day, it could be done...and you would not be rushing the paint drying process or anything like that. The paint (and subsequent clear coats) dries really fast. I wasn't under a time crunch, so I did it as time allowed. One day I put the lenses in the oven and pulled them apart and cleaned the glue. Another day I took some time and sprayed on two coats of the base color. I left that overnight. Next morning I applied the clear and let that sit all day, and then in the afternoon I applied the clear adhesive and glued it all back together. So it was a longer process than some might want to take, but I think it could be expedited had I stayed on it.

Tex Arcana
09-10-2004, 05:28 PM
Tex,

I believe if one was dedicated to getting it done in a day, it could be done...and you would not be rushing the paint drying process or anything like that. The paint (and subsequent clear coats) dries really fast. I wasn't under a time crunch, so I did it as time allowed. One day I put the lenses in the oven and pulled them apart and cleaned the glue. Another day I took some time and sprayed on two coats of the base color. I left that overnight. Next morning I applied the clear and let that sit all day, and then in the afternoon I applied the clear adhesive and glued it all back together. So it was a longer process than some might want to take, but I think it could be expedited had I stayed on it.

I dont trust myself to do the job, if only becasue I do'nt have enough experience with painting, let alone with messing with the lights. In the immprtal words of Tim Allen, "The first two words in ANY home-handyman's vocabulary should be 'YELLOW PAGES!'" :bows

I'm very game with letting someone else (you?) do the job, and having the patience to wait for it. I'd rather that, instead of screwing them up myself. :(

WA 2 FST
09-10-2004, 05:54 PM
I dont trust myself to do the job, if only becasue I do'nt have enough experience with painting, let alone with messing with the lights. In the immprtal words of Tim Allen, "The first two words in ANY home-handyman's vocabulary should be 'YELLOW PAGES!'" :bows

I'm very game with letting someone else (you?) do the job, and having the patience to wait for it. I'd rather that, instead of screwing them up myself. :(
You pay for the materials and I'll do it. The plumber's goop is ~$5. I didn't use the entire tube, and if what I have left over is in good shape (its in a caulking gun tube, so it may harden to the point where it is no good), then you don't have to pay for that. You will need to buy the base coat spray paint. The stuff at Auto Zone may be just as good, but I can only tell you what I worked with. You won't need to buy the clear coat. What I have left over will be plenty. If you want to split the cost with me on that, ok. If not, its not a big deal to me.

Simple solution to this issue. We can't be more than 15+ minutes apart. Bring the truck to my place, so you can see my lights up close. If you still want it done, we can swap out your clear lights with this extra pair of red '00+ lenses I have. That will take us no more than 10 minutes tops. That way there's no time pressure for me to get it done. After all, it will only be my 2ND pair to work on. You can drive around using my red lenses til yours are finished.

The paint takes about a week to get here. www.paintscratch.com (http://www.paintscratch.com)

Or, before doing that if you want to check back with me in a few weeks and see how mine are holding up, that might be the way to go, too.

Tex Arcana
09-10-2004, 10:49 PM
You pay for the materials and I'll do it. The plumber's goop is ~$5. I didn't use the entire tube, and if what I have left over is in good shape (its in a caulking gun tube, so it may harden to the point where it is no good), then you don't have to pay for that. You will need to buy the base coat spray paint. The stuff at Auto Zone may be just as good, but I can only tell you what I worked with. You won't need to buy the clear coat. What I have left over will be plenty. If you want to split the cost with me on that, ok. If not, its not a big deal to me.

Simple solution to this issue. We can't be more than 15+ minutes apart. Bring the truck to my place, so you can see my lights up close. If you still want it done, we can swap out your clear lights with this extra pair of red '00+ lenses I have. That will take us no more than 10 minutes tops. That way there's no time pressure for me to get it done. After all, it will only be my 2ND pair to work on. You can drive around using my red lenses til yours are finished.

The paint takes about a week to get here. www.paintscratch.com (http://www.paintscratch.com)

Or, before doing that if you want to check back with me in a few weeks and see how mine are holding up, that might be the way to go, too.

Let's do it. YGPM, call me tomorrow, and we'll discuss it.

Maybe we can see if we can black out the headlights as well... :D