PDA

View Full Version : Lightning Tie-Rod Inspection notice

my2002lightning
08-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Well, I just received the updated Tie-Rod Inspection procedure in the mail regarding Free Play Inspection, Stud Lash Free Play Inspection and Seal Inspection.

Anyone else get it in the mail today?

Ronald

Sandman
08-17-2004, 10:27 PM
Yeah... I received it in the mail yesterday for the wifes truck, but not for mine.

03LightningRocks
08-17-2004, 10:32 PM
Yeah.....me too...but I got a whole stack of them M.F.'s.I guess i have to read them to find out which trucks they are for. Untill now I thought it was a new scam Ford worked up to get us to let the dealer make some money. Mine all said it was at my expense.....not a warranty issue. Yeah...I think Ford is scamming us:cool: .

Rocks

anglerx007
08-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Well, I just received the updated Tie-Rod Inspection procedure in the mail regarding Free Play Inspection, Stud Lash Free Play Inspection and Seal Inspection.

Anyone else get it in the mail today?

Ronald

I got one for my 01 super crew. Have'nt gone through it yet.

SpeedyBolt
08-18-2004, 01:00 PM
We got one on our F150 4X4 but haven't seen one yet on the Lightning!!!

Mr.Ed
08-18-2004, 01:10 PM
The notice says all F150 97 thru 02 and F250 97 thru 99 also the 97 thru 02 Expedition and 96 thru 02 Navigators and the 02 Blackwood. My wife's car is an 02 Expedition so I get a double whammie. This absolutely should be a warranty issue I think. Every 15K miles is ridiculous.

Moonshine
08-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Haven't gotten anything in the mail yet, but I have had to replace my tie rods. I want to say they went at about 80K miles. :crying:

Mr.Ed
08-18-2004, 01:22 PM
What did it set you back? If you don't mind me asking!!

Moonshine
08-18-2004, 01:24 PM
I'd have to check to be certain, but I want to say it was around $800.

Mr.Ed
08-18-2004, 01:37 PM
I am a retired person working for minimum wage and I D$#@%^ sure can't afford to spend $8 hundred on two diffrent vehicles at this time or any other time. Not to mention they say you need to pay someone every 15K miles to check them out.

98Cobra
08-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Would this be covered under an extended warranty?

Mr.Ed
08-18-2004, 01:47 PM
I would think it would but I don't know for sure. Check with your dealer. The service people would know. My extended warranty has long expired since my truck is a 99. I never used my extended warranty once.

Mr.Ed
08-18-2004, 02:02 PM
I just checked with my dealer and the service man told me to READ the very last statement under the figure1 and figure 2 diagram page.

QUOTE---The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers".
(SO) Ford is simply drumming up some business for their service departments.

I guess we can all take a deep breath and relax now!!!!!

SpeedyBolt
08-18-2004, 03:22 PM
What a chicken sh!t way to get buisness. My wife doesn't even want to drive her 4X4 untill someone "checks it out". That is a LOAD of CRAP :hammer:

Tex Arcana
08-18-2004, 04:57 PM
I got one as well on my L, and I've been eharing some clunks fron the front end, tho I'm not sure if it's that or the a-arm clunk. How do I check to see if I've got the herb's washers installed?

I'll call my guy and see what's the deal with this.

WA 2 FST
08-18-2004, 06:50 PM
We're at 54k on our '00 Expedition and its fine.

I just threw mine in the trash.

Silver_2000
08-18-2004, 10:30 PM
I never got one - If I did I didnt open it

99WhiteBeast
08-18-2004, 10:44 PM
How do I check to see if I've got the herb's washers installed?
Here's what they look like

Tex Arcana
08-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Here's what they look like

So, in essence, they take up the slack in the slot, eliminating the "knock", but also the adjustability. Is that correct?

Mark #2
08-19-2004, 10:07 AM
So, in essence, they take up the slack in the slot, eliminating the "knock", but also the adjustability. Is that correct?
Not really, all of the adjustment can be achieved at the top and in the tie rods. Ford uses this as a speed increase at the factory for adjustment.

And on the topic, I guess I should check those tie rods in my 4X4 that are 16 years old. Guess they just don't build em like they used too.:)

99WhiteBeast
08-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Not really, all of the adjustment can be achieved at the top and in the tie rods. Ford uses this as a speed increase at the factory for adjustment.

And on the topic, I guess I should check those tie rods in my 4X4 that are 16 years old. Guess they just don't build em like they used too.:)
Yep what Mark said. You could also install "cam bolts" with the washers and still acheive some adjustablity

REXRENEGADE
08-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Terry put in the Herbs Washers I got from Doug and that corrected the "CLUNK" for a few months but it has returned. It only happens when I am backing up to the right. Go Figure.
:confused:

98Cobra
08-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Well, I talked to my service advisor today to find out what the deal is. He said that the notice is because a lot of independent shops have been telling people their tie rods are bad when they may not be, and has steps for a proper determination. So this really doesn't sound like a big deal after all...

Mark #2
08-19-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, I talked to my service advisor today to find out what the deal is. He said that the notice is because a lot of independent shops have been telling people their tie rods are bad when they may not be, and has steps for a proper determination. So this really doesn't sound like a big deal after all...
What are the steps?

blueoval01
08-19-2004, 03:25 PM
What are the steps? http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/11Tie_Rod01-med.jpg

http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/11Tie_Rod02-med.jpg

Mark, if these are too hard to read, go to the gallery. Search for files "Tie rod letter 1" & "Tie rod letter 2".

Mark #2
08-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks, just like it always has been. I was very curious if something had changed in tie-rod ends in the past 20 years...not.

Mark

my2002lightning
08-19-2004, 04:16 PM
I called Mom to ask if they had rcvd. their letter as they have a '01 Lariat Ext. Cab. - they have.

I'll be calling Bankston tomorrow, I suppose :rolleyes: , to see about my 24K mile check-up and this Tie-Rod thing.

I hope I shouldn't have anything to worry about with Stud Corrosion thing since I had mine as a daily driver in OH. for almost 2 mos.

You haven't lived until you've car-washed your L every 2 days from the salt/snow and you get around to the other side of your L and it's covered in 1/8" of ice! :eek2: :D

It's like the worst tooth-ache you've ever had, but in your hands/fingers. :crying:

Laney was going ape-sh#t b/c I said I couldn't get my fingers warm and feel her rubbing my fingers in front of the heater vents set on high.

I digress...back to Tie-Rods, Corrosion, etc.

Tex Arcana
08-19-2004, 04:36 PM
I called Mom to ask if they had rcvd. their letter as they have a '01 Lariat Ext. Cab. - they have.

I'll be calling Bankston tomorrow, I suppose :rolleyes: , to see about my 24K mile check-up and this Tie-Rod thing.

I hope I shouldn't have anything to worry about with Stud Corrosion thing since I had mine as a daily driver in OH. for almost 2 mos.

You haven't lived until you've car-washed your L every 2 days from the salt/snow and you get around to the other side of your L and it's covered in 1/8" of ice! :eek2: :D

It's like the worst tooth-ache you've ever had, but in your hands/fingers. :crying:

Laney was going ape-sh#t b/c I said I couldn't get my fingers warm and feel her rubbing my fingers in front of the heater vents set on high.

:ron: Dude, this is why you get waterproof insulated work or ski gloves before washing anything outside.

ANd no on'es lived 'til they've been in -30deg weather, trying to get the car unlocked bfore your hand turns blue... :p

98Cobra
08-19-2004, 04:46 PM

http://www.trietsch.com/images/forumpics/littlestory.jpg

Tex Arcana
08-19-2004, 04:49 PM
http://www.trietsch.com/images/forumpics/littlestory.jpg

The kid in the helmet is grinning like he just put a firecracker in his sibling's diaper... :eek:

my2002lightning
08-19-2004, 04:59 PM
Garett,

Seeing how the Lightning/Tie-Rod end/corrosion inspection notice was germane to the topic, I thought I would post-up with a bit of a background.

I thought I would also follow-up/post-up as to Ford/SVT's determination on mine as I have probably been the only TALON L up North, besides Terry's Gen. I and Dana, but his L is garaged throughout the Northern winter.

Learn to "color outside the lines". :rolleyes:

98Cobra
08-20-2004, 01:21 AM
Garett,

Seeing how the Lightning/Tie-Rod end/corrosion inspection notice was germane to the topic, I thought I would post-up with a bit of a background.

I thought I would also follow-up/post-up as to Ford/SVT's determination on mine as I have probably been the only TALON L up North, besides Terry's Gen. I and Dana, but his L is garaged throughout the Northern winter.

Learn to "color outside the lines". :rolleyes:
Background on what? All I read was that you are going to ask about it anyway, how cold it was up north, and how you hope your Tie Rod ends haven't corroded with 2 months exposure to a northern climate(which if you did, THAT would be a recall).

Did I miss something?

Just givin' ya **** bro, its what I do. :tongue:

my2002lightning
08-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Garett,

Sorry for getting a bit sideways with you on that post regarding the "little story" thing.

To explain, I had a dream the other night that we were all at my grandparents 67th wedding anniversary recently, laughing and telling stories about "the Good-Old days" as always and having a good time. Uncle Carl was there too - Dad's next older brother.:o

He passed away about 2 years ago. The whole family took it pretty hard ... I'm even a bit teary-eyed typing this.:( I guess I took your post the wrong way - I apologize.

I guess I've always taken the "Brown story-telling" approach in conveying ideas/thoughts/etc. with a date/location/event for which I've achieved "TALON fame" and my own smiley! :D knana

Well, back on topic, Bankston said there would be no charge for the tie-rod inspection and they said it wasn't even in OASIS, yet.

Go figure...

Ronald

Background on what? All I read was that you are going to ask about it anyway, how cold it was up north, and how you hope your Tie Rod ends haven't corroded with 2 months exposure to a northern climate(which if you did, THAT would be a recall).

Did I miss something?

Just givin' ya **** bro, its what I do. :tongue: