PDA

View Full Version : Besides dealership, where to get plugs changed?

Marc 01 L
08-19-2004, 12:45 PM
I was thinking of tackling this myself, but I don't have all the tools at the moment and I've got a busy weekend ahead of me and this needs to be done ASAP. I'd probably do it myself if it could be done in about an hour, but everything I've read suggests about 3+ hours for your very first time. I need to do this to potentially avoid a plug spitting incident. Who in the Carrollton/Dallas area does this and at what cost? I've already got the plugs.

BLACKSUNSHINE
08-19-2004, 12:54 PM
Pay Terry (@PR) 100 bucks to do it. He won't F up, and hes done it a few times.

REXRENEGADE
08-19-2004, 01:29 PM
TERRY! :bows

Marc 01 L
08-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll have to give him a call this afternoon.

Marc 01 L
08-20-2004, 08:12 AM
I decided to do it myself! I went out and got all the necessary tools and will tackle this myself tonight. Between plugs and miscellaneous swivels and extensions, I'm only out $40. Much cheaper than paying someone.

Marc 01 L
08-21-2004, 12:16 PM
I'm thinking $100 would have probably been worth it at this point. I'm in about 2 hours and got 7 of 8 plugs out. Definitely the hardest plug change I've ever done.

PoorSvtman
08-21-2004, 01:26 PM
I wouldnt say its hard just time consuming. Theres just alot of steps

WA 2 FST
08-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Marc,

I just read your post on F150online forums. I guess the project has taken a turn for the worse? Hope you get that socket out. :(

Marc 01 L
08-23-2004, 02:13 PM
I'm all finished. I had a lot of downs during the project, but I've got everything back together and running fine. It was definitely a learning experience. :vomit:

Mark #2
08-23-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm all finished. I had a lot of downs during the project, but I've got everything back together and running fine. It was definitely a learning experience. :vomit:
Congratulations, you have passed your Lightning initiation.
If you can do the plugs...fuel filters, oil changes, and brakes are all a piece of cake.

Suspension and exhaust changes are another story however :)

Mark

WA 2 FST
08-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Honestly, I think the suspension stuff is pretty easy. It takes about as much time as most of you are saying a plug change takes, but you're in an open area where you can move around. I haven't tackled an L plug change in my 5 years of owning a Gen 2, but I cannot imagine sitting inside the engine compartment for 2.5-3 hours (which is where I'd be given I am 5'6" and have the short arms to go along with it). :tongue:

I am considering installing an Apten myself (along with the mandatory plug swap), but gosh Terry is pretty darn cheap. Apten wants $599 + shipping for a blower. Terry will get me one, install it and tune it for $650. The only other thing I'm out is the long-ass drive to D-ville and trying to bum a ride home from somebody.

L8 APEX
08-23-2004, 08:22 PM
You can wait if you need to. I can install a blower and plugs in a few horus:tu:

Nuhklz
08-23-2004, 08:48 PM
You can wait if you need to. I can install a blower and plugs in a few horus:tu: There's usually some kind of enterainment while you wait http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

skalywags
08-23-2004, 11:36 PM
so Terry, if were to bring my truck by this week, you'd install plugs while I wait? I've already decided that this is too much of a pain, and want to see it done at least once before I decide if I should tackle it.

L8 APEX
08-24-2004, 10:03 AM
so Terry, if were to bring my truck by this week, you'd install plugs while I wait? I've already decided that this is too much of a pain, and want to see it done at least once before I decide if I should tackle it.As long as you make an appt. I don't know about having you watch and steal my Jedi secrets:nono:

Marc 01 L
08-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Congratulations, you have passed your Lightning initiation.
If you can do the plugs...fuel filters, oil changes, and brakes are all a piece of cake.

Suspension and exhaust changes are another story however :)

MarkFuel filter is next. I'm still on the original and I just passed 20K on my truck this morning. I've heard the truck will likely "wake up" again after changing the filter. It already feels a little better after the plug change.

I've already decided that this is too much of a pain, and want to see it done at least once before I decide if I should tackle it.If I can do it, anyone can. The only thing I've ever changed the plugs on before was my jetski and lawnmower. :D

Marc 01 L
08-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Terry will get me one, install it and tune it for $650.I really didn't need to see that! My truck is 99% stock and that mod is inexpensive enough to make me want to do it - and still be able to keep it from the wife. :rll:

skalywags
08-24-2004, 05:01 PM
As long as you make an appt. I don't know about having you watch and steal my Jedi secrets:nono: How about I let you pick a day. Thursday, or Friday, i'll get there at 7 am.! Ok, I'm joking about that 7am, thing! But either day will work, so what of the two days is best for you.

L8 APEX
08-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Thursday is probably better Tom, bring your guitar and lay while I work (Tom Petty) looking fool!:D

skalywags
08-24-2004, 11:44 PM
ok. I'll come out Thursday. I don't think you'd want me to bring my guitar. It only has 4 strings left on it, and when I have it working it still doesn't sound too good. And I cut all my hair off, so I won't look like T.P.this time. :eek:

L8 APEX
08-24-2004, 11:49 PM
ok. I'll come out Thursday. I don't think you'd want me to bring my guitar. It only has 4 strings left on it, and when I have it working it still doesn't sound too good. And I cut all my hair off, so I won't look like T.P.this time. :eek:I'll bring my guitar and Crown:beer: Good times at 8amknana