PDA

View Full Version : Blower Porting worth it??

splitty0110
08-21-2004, 12:54 PM
Well i was thinking about porting my blower through Dallas Mustang(they send it to Lightning Force Perf.) but they want $489 and $250 for labor(to pull the blower) plus $50 for parts. Total thats $789!!!!! Michael who does the L work says 30-40rwhp and 25ft lbs of torque. Also no one seems to know the long term effects of doing it. What kind of performance have any of you guys seen and have ya'll had any trouble?

By the way i forgot to include the Dyno time that they said i'll need. :eek:

cpeapea
08-21-2004, 01:35 PM
try terry first

WA 2 FST
08-21-2004, 01:43 PM
I'd like to know if the ported blower is actually worth 30-40rwhp with NO pulley change. Sounds kind of high to me.

L8 APEX
08-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Rocks has his dyno charts. He picked up 30hp and also went down on the pulleys.

splitty0110
08-21-2004, 02:21 PM
I was told 30-40 regardless of a pulley change. i have a 4# on now with some other basic bolt ons and i'm at 395rwhp. with the ported blower dallas mustang says i will be at around 420. they swore to it because they have done it before. i just am not sure about the long term effects on the blower.

tliss
08-21-2004, 02:35 PM
I dropped from a 4# to a 2# pulley and GAINED boost and 25+ HP when I went to the Apten ported blower. Well worth it in my opinion.

I second going through Terry at Performance Research. Dallas Mustang is a Mustang place...they know Mustangs...not Lightnings. I trust them about as far as I can throw them.

Tom

splitty0110
08-21-2004, 02:41 PM
hey tom, thanks for the info. i will start going through terry. how much boost were you at before the porting and what were you at after? also what about torque gains?

tliss
08-21-2004, 02:54 PM
hey tom, thanks for the info. i will start going through terry. how much boost were you at before the porting and what were you at after? also what about torque gains?
With the 4# is was scratching about 12#-13# on my boost gauge (AutoMeter, not the stock gauge). After the ported Eaton went on, I dropped to a 2# pulley and at the dyno got just under 15#. Torque gain was roughly 25lb ft or so...can't really remember the exact figure and don't have the dyno sheets handy.

Tom

WA 2 FST
08-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Tom,

What are your current mods and what is your HP/TQ now?

I would like to see 430-450rwhp through stock exhaust manifolds and cats...and a safe tune on 93 octane. Maybe the Apton or Magnum Powers blowers are the way to go? Then again, I've heard guys with leaking MP blowers. Same with the KB.

StormShadow
08-21-2004, 04:30 PM
http://www.svtgalleries.net/gallery/data/500/135Dyno_with_apten_no_LTs1.jpgHere is my dyno with the Apten and a 4lb lower with stock manifolds.

WA 2 FST
08-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Looks good, Adam. What ET/MPH did you run in that tune?

StormShadow
08-21-2004, 06:18 PM
Down in San Antonio last month it was 80 degrees and damn near 100% humidity and I ran a 12.5 at 109mph.

WA 2 FST
08-21-2004, 06:45 PM
That is a great time, especially considering the conditions. I would be very pleased to have a truck that ran like that. This very well could be my next mod. I can't imagine the install being that difficult. So how does it work? Buy an Apten and then send them your core blower? Is Terry a distributor for these blowers?

StormShadow
08-21-2004, 06:55 PM
I bought my ported blower from 03LightningRocks when he upgraded to the KB. My blower has the interchangable upper on it so that I can run different boost setups. I know Terry sent my blower from my 03 to LFP and had it ported. I think he still has it. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5317

StormShadow
08-21-2004, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=WA 2 FST]That is a great time, especially considering the conditions. I would be very pleased to have a truck that ran like that.

Thanks. Since then I have added the 2lb upper and a full exhaust (et LT, high flows and bassani catback w/ x pipe) I was really loving the feel of this new setup untill yesterday when my tranny took a **** on me.:(

WA 2 FST
08-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Oops. Yeah, I was just going to ask a follow-up to all this about transmission life once you get above ~430rwhp. I guess now I know. :( Sorry to hear that. You think you're pushing ~450+rwhp now with the 2lb upper and LTs?

What are your initial thoughts for upgrading your trans?

StormShadow
08-21-2004, 07:09 PM
Terry is looking into it for me. If all esle fails he will be building me a beefed up tranny with stall. I'm crossing my fingers that its something minor. I'm thinking I was probably at about 450/530 or so.

splitty0110
08-21-2004, 11:27 PM
i called terry today and i'm getting my ported blower when he gets the next one in, in two weeks. it is $550 for it and $100 bucks for the labor. hopefully my tranny will hold up!!! also i have a torque converter in my garage that i decided not to put on( it is an ART CARR) if anyone wants it. i'll let ya'll know how my blower is when i get it in two weeks.

oh yeah i have a 6# pulley in my garage that i don't think i'll use since i'm porting my blower. e-mail me at splitty0110@yahoo.com if you want the torque converter or the pulley. make me an offer and i'll sell them really cheap.

tliss
08-22-2004, 10:52 AM
Tom,

What are your current mods and what is your HP/TQ now?

I would like to see 430-450rwhp through stock exhaust manifolds and cats...and a safe tune on 93 octane. Maybe the Apton or Magnum Powers blowers are the way to go? Then again, I've heard guys with leaking MP blowers. Same with the KB.
My last dyno was about 415-ish/480-ish, before the tranny and before putting the 4# pulley back on. As of right now, here is what I have on the truck, and it ran a 12.88@106 in high heat, high humidity at full weight (roughly 5100 lbs):

12" filter
Power pipe
BilletFlow throttle body
Apten ported Eaton
4# lower pulley
Magnaflow cat-back
Fully built tranny by Terry
4-way Autologic chip tuned by Swanson

Next will be the LT headers and highflows. I shouldn't have to worry about the tranny, but I do need to get a converter too. Splitty0110, what leve stall is that converter and how much?? Doubt I'll be able to afford it any time soon, but it's worth a shot.:tu:

Tom

r1eater
08-22-2004, 07:46 PM
Here is my dyno...

http://www.revlimitracing.com/s4vids/dyno99.jpg

I want to to the ported blower or a KB next.

jcblack
08-22-2004, 08:59 PM
http://www.revlimitracing.com/s4vids/dyno99.jpg

That is with juice right? I think that an Apten and Juice will make your motor go boom. Rob was doing right at 500 on the stock block, but I think that he was pushing it, so he decided to go with the built motor.

r1eater
08-23-2004, 06:37 AM
If it goes boom, then its built motor for me :evil

00Bolt
08-23-2004, 09:04 AM
well I did the WASP ported blower... everyone on f150online was saying nothing but good about it... they were all showing their dyno before/afters and seeing 25-30 rwhp from just the port alone.... well I got 9rwhp gain... yup, just 9

lightningrob
08-23-2004, 07:56 PM
i went from 372hp 498 ft lbs on a diablo street tune, 4#, cai to 415hp, 495 ft lbs after terry installed lfp ported blower, longtubes, cats, and he did a quick safe superchip street tune. it's got more in it. i can't say enough about terry's work.
can't wait till he does the SCT tune on it. he even noticed a real small pin hole in the new header , and he ordered a new one. very honest guy. i probably would have never noticed if he didn't say anything. thanks terry!!:beer:

WA 2 FST
08-24-2004, 01:03 AM
judging by your results (43rwhp peak net gain), the Apten alone would be lucky to make 25rwhp.

On paper based on their own dyno tests, it sure looks like a good way to meet my goals (~425rwhp on 93 octane), but if I can't get it then I might as well step up to a Magnum Powers or KB.

I don't plan to run any exhaust mods, either, so based on your results I'd be lucky to get 400rwhp with a 4# pulley, SCT, CAI and Apten.

Crawford
08-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Here we go... Wes has the speed bug again!!! http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrinflip.gif

StormShadow
08-25-2004, 12:03 AM
i called terry today and i'm getting my ported blower when he gets the next one in, in two weeks. it is $550 for it and $100 bucks for the labor. hopefully my tranny will hold up!!! also i have a torque converter in my garage that i decided not to put on( it is an ART CARR) if anyone wants it. i'll let ya'll know how my blower is when i get it in two weeks.

oh yeah i have a 6# pulley in my garage that i don't think i'll use since i'm porting my blower. e-mail me at splitty0110@yahoo.com if you want the torque converter or the pulley. make me an offer and i'll sell them really cheap.
What do you want for the Converter? I need one for my new tranny. Let me or Tery know.

02BOLT
08-25-2004, 12:30 AM
judging by your results (43rwhp peak net gain), the Apten alone would be lucky to make 25rwhp.

On paper based on their own dyno tests, it sure looks like a good way to meet my goals (~425rwhp on 93 octane), but if I can't get it then I might as well step up to a Magnum Powers or KB.

I don't plan to run any exhaust mods, either, so based on your results I'd be lucky to get 400rwhp with a 4# pulley, SCT, CAI and Apten.
Wes,
It's all in the tune my friend. My truck, with a 2lb lower, chip, CAI, T-body, and Cat-back made 397 RWHP/ 480 RWTQ. This was with a 12.2:1 A/F, which a lot may consider a tad lean. However my truck NEVER detonated on that tune in ANY conditions. Now, I'm not saying the combo isn't important, just that the tune ties it all together(which you probably already knew). Just thought I'd add my .02.;)

Later,
Rob:tu:

L8 APEX
09-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Chris I got a blower in today you have first shot at it. Please get it asap as I need to get two more knocked out ASAP:tu:

Tex Arcana
09-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Question: what kind of gain would a ported blower give on stock tune and stock pullies?

L8 APEX
09-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Hah, nobody has ever done that:D . I have seen a general 20hp+ gain on everything.

L8 APEX
09-09-2004, 09:04 AM
I have sent an Email, PM, and posted here for Chris to have first shot. If I don't hear from him I will work down my list as I need to get these done ASAP for upcoming events. Next is Mike (BCLightning), and so on. Help the next guy and get it done so we can ship the next one off!:tu:

Avalanche
09-09-2004, 11:32 AM
Terry I have an extra blower laying around my garage maybe we can work something out to have it shipped off and ported. What do you have to swap for?

Tex Arcana
09-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Hah, nobody has ever done that:D . I have seen a general 20hp+ gain on everything.

What does that do to the a/f ratio on a stock setup? And, how much do they run going thru you?

L8 APEX
09-09-2004, 10:22 PM
The computer will add fuel up to its 25% max rich limits then it will lean out. Apparently Aprten is running another special for about 400 bucks plus downtime and shipping hassles. So LFP has lowered his prices to compete. I don't know how long these prices will be good but for now the sale price is 400 plus shipping (@60 bucks) and fluid (12 bucks). I charge 100 bucks to R&R the supercharger and 50 bucks to pull the intercooler core and clean it if you want to do so at that time. If you want to change/check plugs at this time it is 20 bucks cheaper than usual.:tu:

Tex Arcana
09-10-2004, 04:40 PM
The computer will add fuel up to its 25% max rich limits then it will lean out. Apparently Aprten is running another special for about 400 bucks plus downtime and shipping hassles. So LFP has lowered his prices to compete. I don't know how long these prices will be good but for now the sale price is 400 plus shipping (@60 bucks) and fluid (12 bucks). I charge 100 bucks to R&R the supercharger and 50 bucks to pull the intercooler core and clean it if you want to do so at that time. If you want to change/check plugs at this time it is 20 bucks cheaper than usual.:tu:

You got a dyno sheet on the ported blower on stock motor and tune?

Also, do'nt they polish the internals on the blower, or am I just talking out my a**??

L8 APEX
09-11-2004, 06:25 AM
None of my ported customers run on stock tunes that is silly. The inlet and oulet are CNC and hand blended.

Tex Arcana
09-11-2004, 10:32 AM
None of my ported customers run on stock tunes that is silly. The inlet and oulet are CNC and hand blended.

May be silly to you, but when the money isn't exactly flowing, one tends to be more conservative, taking one small step at a time to build up to where they want to go.

It really doesn't matter, I just wanted to know exactly how that particular mod improved things over stock. If you do'nt have that data, that's all you had to say.

L8 APEX
09-12-2004, 02:35 AM
Shoot if you want bang for the buck you would start with a chip and filter. That would stomp over a ported blower only. With stock pulley and setup you are not near the limits of the stock port. There is an order of operations on these trucks nad a ported blower is one of the last steps when chip and pulley limits have been reached. Sorry if you did't get my humor, I have been know to be a smartass on rare occassion:D .