PDA

View Full Version : No front plate ticket price went up ...

DamonH
08-22-2004, 12:21 PM
I got pulled over in Lewisville the other day for no front plate. :Bullshit I was polite to the cop, figuring I would probably get off with a warning. Nope, fat dike bitch came back with a ticket for no front plate. I figure I run the risk of actually getting a ticket in the name of beauty, and would just pay in the event I ever got one. Last time I got one was several years ago and it was $80. Sucks, but ok. I go to pay the recent one on Friday and it's now $150! The dude in front of me only had to pay $108 on a speeding ticket, and I get that much for no front plate!??! What a load of crap. Guess it's time to get some servo's and make some sort of plate retracting device and only throw the plate down when a cop is around. :throw:

TreeFiddy
08-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Some cops are so incredibly stupid. The no front plate thing adds to probable cause, but the lazy ones are just using it to generate revenue. Idiots.

LonghornLightning
08-22-2004, 01:57 PM
what a scam, i guess they should pull over every vette and bmw too while they're at it, I hope I never get pulled over for that.

Shiner1
08-22-2004, 02:31 PM
Ouch.......didn't know they were doing that in Lewisville....I guess I had better watch my arse!!!:eek2:

UUDLOSE
08-22-2004, 02:43 PM
I got pulled over in Lewisville the other day for no front plate. :Bullshit I was polite to the cop, figuring I would probably get off with a warning. Nope, fat dike bitch came back with a ticket for no front plate. I figure I run the risk of actually getting a ticket in the name of beauty, and would just pay in the event I ever got one. Last time I got one was several years ago and it was $80. Sucks, but ok. I go to pay the recent one on Friday and it's now $150! The dude in front of me only had to pay $108 on a speeding ticket, and I get that much for no front plate!??! What a load of crap. Guess it's time to get some servo's and make some sort of plate retracting device and only throw the plate down when a cop is around. :throw:

If you all are interested, for less than the cost of a ticket there is a solution. Check it out.

http://www.tbuckets.com/street_rod_store/lighting/retract-a-plate

I am considering ordering one, even though my truck currently has it's front plate mounted.

Nuhklz
08-22-2004, 02:46 PM
If you all are interested, for less than the cost of a ticket there is a solution. Check it out.

I am considering ordering one, even though my truck currently has it's front plate mounted. Intersting solution. Mine is not mounted and I don't wanna have to do it http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/cry.gif.

dboat
08-22-2004, 02:50 PM

I am considering ordering one, even though my truck currently has it's front plate mounted.

Seen 'em, and they are cool, but dont think it will work on the L unless you change the front bumper and get rid of the lower air dam..
Dana

As an aside, we dont have to have a front plate in Pennsylvania knana
But we have other downsides here, cops are a lot more a$$holish.. (new word for the week).

blueoval01
08-22-2004, 03:37 PM
......... a$$holish.. (new word for the week).
Hummm, maybe a new smilie for that. :rll:

DamonH
08-22-2004, 04:34 PM

Yeah, I've seen that before. I think I can make one with out all the vacum actuators and such for a lot cheaper. :) We'll see ... if I get something done I'll be sure to post. For now, back to driving illegally. :evil

my2002lightning
08-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Damon,

I hear ya' on the ticket situation. :crying: My @ss is grounded for a while, as well.

I understand that, by TX law, your license has to be displayed on the front of your L - meaning you can get away with putting it on your dash and securing it with, say velcro or something to keep it from sliding around.

If someone knows different on that legal point, post-up.

I know it looks sorta' ghetto, but hey, it'll work until you figure out a mounting setup.

Yeah, I've seen that before. I think I can make one with out all the vacum actuators and such for a lot cheaper. :) We'll see ... if I get something done I'll be sure to post. For now, back to driving illegally. :evil

PoorSvtman
08-22-2004, 06:26 PM
I know in arlington the ticket is on $81. But if you put it on and go to court all you pay is 10 bucks.... I have to go in on the 1st and im just gonna bolt it to the billet grill so i can take the court official out to show that its on now. Then soon as i get home the bastard is coming back off....

PoorSvtman
08-22-2004, 06:29 PM
I understand that, by TX law, your license has to be displayed on the front of your L - meaning you can get away with putting it on your dash and securing it with, say velcro or something to keep it from sliding around.

That is false. It has to be mounted on the furthest most point of the vehicle and also has to be so far from the ground (not sure about the height part).

Mom works for TxDot (Texas Department of transportation)

Tex Arcana
08-22-2004, 06:51 PM
That is false. It has to be mounted on the furthest most point of the vehicle and also has to be so far from the ground (not sure about the height part).

Mom works for TxDot (Texas Department of transportation)

According to the state trooper that dunned me with a warning, it had to be mounted such that it is visible from the front, period. The only reason he didn't like the way I had mine when he pulled me over was that it was partially obscured by the inspection/registration stickers. But, he let me go anyhow, so I got lucky. :cool:

ThunderBolt
08-22-2004, 06:52 PM
what a scam, i guess they should pull over every vette and bmw too while they're at it, I hope I never get pulled over for that.
Damn straight it's a scam! I own a C5 as well and have never been pulled over for driving w/o a front license plate.
It's all about $$$
I guess it's time to consider a front plate. :flaming:

With an increase like that you know it's on their agenda to fine people for
that offense.

ghostt
08-22-2004, 07:54 PM
i know i sould use this word here but i had my front plate in my chevy on the passanger side sun visor with a couple of straps to hold it in place never had an issue with it ,and since i work some odd hrs getting pulled over is the norm , never got a ticket for the plate but there have been other things

Tex Arcana
08-22-2004, 08:07 PM
Damn straight it's a scam! I own a C5 as well and have never been pulled over for driving w/o a front license plate.
It's all about $$$
I guess it's time to consider a front plate. :flaming:

With an increase like that you know it's on their agenda to fine people for
that offense.

Ron, do you ahve more pics of your truck?

ThunderBolt
08-22-2004, 08:22 PM
Ron, do you ahve more pics of your truck?
Sure. Click on my name, the click on my homepage.
That will take you to my photo album. ;)

Marc 01 L
08-23-2004, 02:23 PM
But if you put it on and go to court all you pay is 10 bucks....The $10 must be new too. I got a no front plate ticket in RICHardson 2 years ago in my 'stang. I showed up to the courthouse with the plate on my car. The officer was actually outside watching for me. As soon as he saw me pull up...he went inside. I stated that the plate was now on my car and they dismissed the ticket. No charges what-so-ever. I promptly went home and took the plate back off. :banana:

bigdale83
08-23-2004, 04:43 PM
i got a ticket just a week after getting the L. cop wasn't kool and gave me a ticket even though i showed him that i just bought the truck. i went and had it put on and the ticket was dismissed here in arlington with no charges and the cop in the court room didn't even go look at it.

hallin hay
08-23-2004, 04:55 PM
i got pulled over 2 times last month in plano with no front plate, one gave me a warning and the other gave me a ticket. $92.00 in plano for no front plate. :mad:

Moonshine
08-24-2004, 01:32 PM

Mom works for TxDot (Texas Department of transportation)Texas Transportation Code section 502.404
(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:
(1) assigned by the department for the period; or
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

I think your Mom may be confusing this with the requirements for head and tail lights, which do have minimum and maximum distances above the road.

Arguable whether or not a plate on the dash is on the "front of the vehicle".

03LightningRocks
08-24-2004, 07:40 PM
I may go ahead and put mine on the dash. I'm sure as heck not going to mount it on my bumper.

I have only been rousted for the plate in cases where I was being pulled over for some other offense. Maybe they are getting tougher about it.

The weekend of FFW Houston, we got pulled over by a State Trooper near the race track for speeding in the L. He mentioned the front plate should really be on the truck. I told him I looked at it as a "fee" for looking cool. He laughed about it and told us he had an L too. He had noticed the Super Charger sounded different than his when we went by. I showed him my Kenne Bell, exchanged a few more pleasantries and then he lead us to the track( we where lost...LOL). No tickets either way. The last time I got a ticket for the plate....it was during a pull over where I got mad at the cop and started giving him crap.....he added te plate offense at the last minute....just after my comment about him being a liar.....:rolleyes: . Bad move on my part...that comment cost me an extra hundred bucks or so for the plate ...LOL.

Texas Transportation Code section 502.404
(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:
(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that the vehicle is registered for the period.

I think your Mom may be confusing this with the requirements for head and tail lights, which do have minimum and maximum distances above the road.

Tex Arcana
08-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Texas Transportation Code section 502.404

I went looking for this online, and couldn't find anything; but, then again, I am a Google-tard. :(

I talked to a friend who was a police dispatcher (now a parole officer), who reinforced what his mom said, that it was supposed to be at the furthest ends of the vehicle; then the trooper and sherrif that got me said the windshield was adequate. The thing is, the trooper said the front one should be mounted low enough for him to see if he is in front of me, where he can read it in his rear-view mirror. So, now I am thoroughly :confused:.