PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Delta, Hello Unemployment.

TXBLU
09-08-2004, 03:30 PM
As some of you may know, the airline industry is in the crapper. Delta, my employer, is shutting down its hub operations here at D/FW Airport. This includes the most productive and efficient (by a significant margin) aircraft maintenance facility in the company, which also ranks in the top 10% in the industry. Oh well. At least I paid cash for my Lightning and my wife's S4, and I've paid off my TL-R.

So, if any of you guys know of any positions open for an A&P licensed aircraft mechanic (20 years experience), also qualified as a Non-Destructive Testing inspector, let me know.

Thanks

Now i'm going to go have a drink.:beer:

Cammin4V
09-08-2004, 03:37 PM
As some of you may know, the airline industry is in the crapper. Delta, my employer, is shutting down its hub operations here at D/FW Airport. This includes the most productive and efficient (by a significant margin) aircraft maintenance facility in the company, which also ranks in the top 10% in the industry. Oh well. At least I paid cash for my Lightning and my wife's S4, and I've paid off my TL-R.

So, if any of you guys know of any positions open for an A&P licensed aircraft mechanic (20 years experience), also qualified as a Non-Destructive Testing inspector, let me know.

Thanks

Now i'm going to go have a drink.:beer:
Sorry to hear about that. Good Luck finding something new, but until then relax and take a load off.

my2002lightning
09-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Eric,

Sorry to hear! I've been there - done that. I've been in such bad lay-offs they didn't have time to lay us off individually and they called us in groups of 3's (telecomm. downfall).

A recruiter which Tom/skalywags referred me to recently is with Abacus Technical Svcs. I met with her recently and I remember a folder on her desk with either Boeing or Grumman on the cover. It's worth a shot.

Her contact info. is:
Shirley Vandever
972-644-4105 x306
s.vandever@abacustechnical.com
www.abacustechnical.com (http://www.abacustechnical.com/)

You might mention me (and Tom) since I met with her a few weeks ago and she knows about our Ls. She even walked outside to the parking lot with me to check out the L. :nana2 She's a very nice lady.

Also, check out www.monster.com (http://www.monster.com/) if you don't already know about it. You can drill down by DFW and career field.

Look at the bright-side, you can probably take an 8-month "vacation" like I did.;)

Ronald

Nuhklz
09-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Sorry to hear. I knew Delta was announcing their recovery plan today but didn't expect them to shut down DFW.

On the other hand, it's never a good sign when the corporate drones fly in from headquarters.

Good luck http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/beerchug.gif

Silver_2000
09-08-2004, 04:37 PM
Sorry to hear about your Job issues....

:ron: I used to own an FAA repair station specializing in NDT .. I'll see if any of my old contacts are hiring /:ron:

I got out of it because it was far too feast or famine for my tastes ....

I still have a couple boxes of NDT books - Need to find a school to donate them to.. Ill keep the scraps of lead to make a jockstrap out of in case they drop the big one...

Doug

dboat
09-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Eric,
having been there and done that, what I have found is that it opens another for you in life. You never know what the big plan is for you, but stay positive and you will be fine.
Good luck and keep in touch with the L boys.
Dana

L8 APEX
09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
I spoke with SHO Tony last night in the hood. He said he would know if he had a job or not by today.. I guess he and Mark (Autothrottle) are both jobless now:( . It really licks being dropped like a hot rock. Check with Richard McFadden, or Chris Cothran (Razor) both are either A&P's or techs at Love Field. Mark and Tony were trying to hire on at UPS maint a while back.

Tex Arcana
09-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Welcome to the ranks.. sucks that you got nailed like that. :(

If your wife is working, and you have most of your finances in order, you'll be fine (and from the sounds of your post, you do), just be careful and don't take just anything. But, it is better to get a job within the next few months--and make damn sure your resume is correct, one tiny little mistake will really screw your chances--mine had one small mistake on it, and it propagated throughout the systems and ended up being the major source of my inactivity.

I'm not too thirilled with any of the computer-based job searches right now, nor am I with recruiters--I think the only reason Ronald had any success was that he was hammering every recruiter out there, including the ones in Canada, Alaska, and parts of Russia (JUST KIDDING, Ronald!!), which eventually netted him something. I'm of the opinion that the bway to get anything is to network your way thru it, and get face-to-face interviews based on recommendations; otherwise, the system is set up to filter pretty much everything out, but then again, what do you expect from a bunch of HR departments run by Catbert, the Evil HR Director?? :(

Good luck

George G.
09-09-2004, 08:47 AM
That sucks man. I have a friend that's been in cargo for 8 years and decided he's tired of the transferring back and forth to Atlanta. He decided to just let it go and move on. Good luck in the search. Sorry I can't be of any help in that area.

99WhiteBeast
09-09-2004, 01:58 PM
That sucks Eric- best wishes finding new employment

Razor
09-09-2004, 07:33 PM
Shoot me an e-mail.
I feel your pain! lol
non-rev outta dfw is gonna suk!:eek:
Chris

cpeapea
09-11-2004, 01:06 PM
here's a thought, FedEx has opened a huge superhub in hutchins. they might need maintenance technicians out there. they pay 20 to 50 an hour depending on experience. you probably need to know motor controls and 3 phase electricity.

might be an idea?

LonghornLightning
09-11-2004, 04:27 PM
My best friend's dad works for gulfstream at Love Field...

EDIT: He said go check it out www.gulfstream.com

TXBLU
09-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all the words of encouragement! I really appreciate it. You guys are truly a class act. My wife and I are confident that there will be something out there for me even better than Delta. I may even start my own biz, but that has its ownpitfalls to deal with. Even so, my resume is getting updated this weekend.

At any rate, thanks Daniel, Ronald, Larry, Doug, Dana, Terry, Tex, George, Steve, Chris, Gavin, Dru, and all the other great TALON folks. Again, a truly class act. http://www.talonclub.com/forum/images/smilies/bows.gif

Eric

A proud member of the TALON community.