PDA

View Full Version : selling car- not titled in my name

99WhiteBeast
09-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Scenario:
Recently purchased a car(used) but never titled in his name.

Can he turn back around and sell if it is not titled in his name?

He has Bill of sale and Title from previous owner.

tliss
09-09-2004, 02:33 PM
I doubt it. If he were to rob a bank with that car, they'd show up at the previous owner's house because the title is still in his name. In order to sell that vehicle and pass title properly, either he will have to get the previous owner to sign the title app for the new owner, or he will have to title the car in his name first (by getting the old owner to sign the application for title as previous owner and he signs it as new owner).

Confused? I am. Basically the old owner still holds the title and the car cannot be titled properly with the transfer occurring. He can sell it without issue, but title will not transfer with it.

If I were the old owner I'd be pissed.

Tom

StormShadow
09-09-2004, 03:06 PM
If you get it impounded, then the old owner would be able to pay $150 to get it out of the pound and then he could resell it. :evil

003slvr
09-09-2004, 03:14 PM
I have sold two Mustangs in the past 2 years that I bought from another person, they signed the title and I keep them about 3 months and turned around and resold the cars to another person and I guess everything went ok because I never heard back from any of them. :)

Wht95Lightning
09-09-2004, 04:52 PM
I have sold two Mustangs in the past 2 years that I bought from another person, they signed the title and I keep them about 3 months and turned around and resold the cars to another person and I guess everything went ok because I never heard back from any of them. :)
Ditto. I have bought and resold several cars without ever transfering title to my name and not had any problems whatsoever.

L8 APEX
09-09-2004, 10:03 PM
I would like to know he had the consent of the signed owner and the title and bill of sale were not dated causing any $$ penalties.

Shiner1
09-10-2004, 02:43 PM
If the old owner has signed the back of the title. The title holder (you), with the bill of sale may do what he wants with the car. If you have not titled the car in your name then the next buyer may have to pay the tax, not only his but the tax that you did not pay because you did not title the car in your name.

Wht95Lightning
09-10-2004, 05:22 PM
If the old owner has signed the back of the title. The title holder (you), with the bill of sale may do what he wants with the car. If you have not titled the car in your name then the next buyer may have to pay the tax, not only his but the tax that you did not pay because you did not title the car in your name.
And how exactly is the DMV going to know that there was a person in between the person standing there transfering title and the person who signed the back of it?

Shiner1
09-10-2004, 11:51 PM
And how exactly is the DMV going to know that there was a person in between the person standing there transfering title and the person who signed the back of it?
They are not going to know unless you tell them. All those forms you sign when you transfer title...the mileage statement, the section where you list the price you paid for the car. "I swear under penalty of purgery". Some where in the process someone says "the last guy who had this car never got the title transfered and I only paid $100.00 for it".....pounce. I think most people go in there fat, dumb and happy, and don't think about what they are going to say.

cpeapea
09-11-2004, 01:14 PM
bonded title?