PDA

View Full Version : Capitol One Playing games

Silver_2000
09-20-2004, 08:42 PM
Just noticed that my Capitol One Visa card went from 9.x% to 14.9 %

I called them and they said a conditional offer was available that would reduce the rate to 7.x% fixed if I did a balance transfer. I told them to cancel the account because 9.9 was supposed to be fixed and that I have decent credit and will go elsewhere.

Well sir there is an additional offer on your account that would put you at 7.9 % for 6 months then 9.9% fixed after that and NO balance transfer is needed.

Well WTF - What a game ... Luckily I noticed it the first month..

It oughta be a crime ...

tliss
09-20-2004, 08:57 PM
So much for the "No Hassle" card.

Tom

03LightningRocks
09-20-2004, 08:58 PM
I just got the same treatment from MBNA. They raised my rate to 24%:eek: . I didn't catch it for two months.

I called them and they said they would move it back to 15%. I paid it off.....that ticked me off.

I have cards for 6.5%. Why would I want to let them rape me? It appears the game is to let you run up a balance and then raise your rate. They probably trap a few folks that way. Thank goodness I was able to pay it off.

Rocks

Wht95Lightning
09-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Yep, you gotta watch those weasels. Citibank pulled something similar on me. they tried to slip in some "fees" that I never agreed to and were NOT on the application when I signed up. When I called to complain they tried to tell me that they had a copy of my signed ap and it was clearly stated on there.
I told him I had a copy of it in my hand and there was no such thing on it.
Basically, the guy told me I didn't know how to read it.
So I told him that I knew how to use scissors. :hammer:

Silver_2000
09-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Well My other card is 7.2 % and I like that bank better so I just paid off 1/2 the C one balance and next month Ill pay off the rest ...

How much you wanna bet they offer me a better deal soon ?
But the Capitol one card was the one with lightning on it... :rolleyes:
Doug

wesman
09-20-2004, 09:24 PM
One of my cards did the same thing. What made it worse was that they actually sent a little insert that said they were raising my rate because they wanted to make more money on my account....WTF???

That sh!t should be illegal.

--wes

L8 APEX
09-20-2004, 10:10 PM
I killed my Capital One and will never deal with tham again

my2002lightning
09-20-2004, 10:11 PM
All of this is THE reason I've never had a credit-card in my 34+ years...and I don't plan on it.:cool:

dboat
09-21-2004, 04:52 AM
All of this is THE reason I've never had a credit-card in my 34+ years...and I don't plan on it.:cool:

Well you almost have to have a credit card of some type these days just to reserve a hotel room and such. I almost always pay mine off each month, I use an American Express card to help force me to do it. The best part is that I accumulate points and can use them later but it only costs me the annual fee. The return of the fee vs the use of points is worth it for me. I have enough saved up for a couple of those First Class Tickets to Hawaii and back now.
I try to watch the other part of the cards like you guys are but you have to pay attention.
Dana

Moonshine
09-23-2004, 09:20 AM
I have credit cards for the convenience they offer, but I NEVER use their revolving credit. If I can't pay for it at the end of the month, I don't put it on a credit card. It amazes me that they still send me credit card offers when they never make any money off me. All they do is give me interest free loans for up to 30 days at a whack. And cash back on purchases I make using their card. :) And no, I wouldn't consider any credit card with an annual fee.:nono:

dboat
09-23-2004, 06:17 PM
I have credit cards for the convenience they offer, but I NEVER use their revolving credit. If I can't pay for it at the end of the month, I don't put it on a credit card. It amazes me that they still send me credit card offers when they never make any money off me. All they do is give me interest free loans for up to 30 days at a whack. And cash back on purchases I make using their card. :) And no, I wouldn't consider any credit card with an annual fee.:nono:

They do make a little something off of the seller.. there is a discount rate that they charge the seller, plus the bank makes a little too..
Dana

cpeapea
09-23-2004, 08:14 PM
i only use mine to order stuff of the internet. i fortunatly have great credit. but i know too many people who have gotten themselves into trouble with the damn things