PDA

View Full Version : Timing and fuel consumption?

Crawford
09-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Question: How does timing effect fuel consumption on road trips?
More timing = more fuel consumption or vise versa or neither?

wesman
09-22-2004, 06:48 PM
More timing= more consumption

03LightningRocks
09-22-2004, 08:35 PM
It doesn't.................your increased timing from your chip is only going to happen at WOT...............wanna buy my auto tap???? Then you would see this for yourself:eek: .

Rocks:beer:

wesman
09-22-2004, 09:04 PM
It's programmed for only WOT? Seems like a waste of a dyno tune for everyday driving. If my tuner only advanced the timing when I'm wide open throttle I'd feel like I've been robbed, what about the other 98% of the time you're driving the truck ?????

--wes

03LightningRocks
09-22-2004, 10:15 PM
It's programmed for only WOT? Seems like a waste of a dyno tune for everyday driving. If my tuner only advanced the timing when I'm wide open throttle I'd feel like I've been robbed, what about the other 98% of the time you're driving the truck ?????

--wes

LOL..................If you hook up a data logger, and watch the timing while you are just cruising around, you'll notice the timing jumps all over hell and back. Put your foot to the floor and you will see it lock in to the timing your tuner set it for.

I am talking of the superchips that most here are running. The new SCT chips may or may not work the same. I have the SCT tuning software, but have not had a chance to really mess around with it yet. I will find out though.

Rocks:cool:

03LightningRocks
09-22-2004, 10:28 PM
I used some incorrect wording in my first statement. I said the timing will only advance when you go WOT. Actually if your cruising around, the timing may actually go lower, depending on what the timing happens to be while your cruising around.

I have logged mine and seen the timing at 30 degrees or more just cruising around. In this case it would decline. I have also seen it hit single digits. But like I said...put it to the floor and it goes to the timing it is programed for and stays there untill I let off.

I'll be data logging some cruising around runs this fall. I have not driven my L around alot on the street the past six months. I am curious if some of this behaves different now that I have the SCT stuff.

Rocks

L8 APEX
09-23-2004, 01:51 AM
The timing tables decrease with load and RPM. Light throttle at cruise is about 36' WOT on a mild tune is 14'. The computer is maintaining 14.6 A/F during cruise that should be most of your economy.