PDA

View Full Version : Sbc Dsl

Sandman
09-28-2004, 01:01 PM
Just wondering if anybody has any positive/negative comments about sbc dsl. Right now I'm with comcast, but I just moved to an area that provides sbc dsl for around half the price of comcast, with the same down bandwidth.

StormShadow
09-28-2004, 01:04 PM
Send me a PM.

dboat
09-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Send me a PM.

When you get a response like that, it must be bad news..

Tex Arcana
09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
They're okay, but do'nt have half the bandwidth for the same price as Comcast cable internet; if you're getting only double, then they have you heavily throttled (which is likely). Check your bandwidth at www.pcpitstop.com, they have a nice DL/UL speed calculator on there. Also, www.dslreports.com is a nice stop for info on all the different poroviders and feedback.

My wife's running SBC dsl and phone at her store, and is getting a nice bundle price, and the one time I had issues, they were very helpful. I've got two friends taking advantage of the pricing deals, as well.

So, if you're willing to lose the speed, go for it. :tu:

Silver_2000
09-28-2004, 02:39 PM
DSL speed is strictly based on distance to the phone company CO

If you are far from the CO you will NEVER see the max speeds

Go to dslreports.com and use the tools there to figure out how far you are from the co that serves your area

Also ask your neighbors

I use comcast cause its LOTS faster here...

Doug

00Bolt
09-28-2004, 02:55 PM
i have SBC DSL at my house and at my work...

i got the cheap package on both... says up to 1.5 speed... they have a "gold" package or something thats a minimum of 1.5.... my house is only like 1000 ft from the box and I almost see that 1.5 speed.... im very happy with them at both places.... nothing bad to say....

StormShadow
09-28-2004, 03:17 PM
When you get a response like that, it must be bad news..
Exact opposite.

Btw I work for SBC so I may be a little biased.

Silver_2000
09-28-2004, 04:08 PM
i have SBC DSL at my house and at my work...

i got the cheap package on both... says up to 1.5 speed... they have a "gold" package or something thats a minimum of 1.5.... my house is only like 1000 ft from the box and I almost see that 1.5 speed.... im very happy with them at both places.... nothing bad to say....
I live 15,000 feet or so from the verizon CO and barely got 768 way back when that was good speed. Just because they raised the max speeds DOESNT mean that I would see higher speeds. Distance is still the limiting factor.

Moving to a new house is an option I guess :rll:

wesman
09-28-2004, 04:56 PM
I switched from Comcast to SBC DSL because of a few reasons:

1.It was cheaper for better speeds . I live ina new development and the houses have been popping in like crazy. It seems the type of folks that buy these houses are also the type that will pay $50 a month for internet. My speeds were much faster wehn i first moved here as my neighborhood was very sparse two years ago.

2. Comcast's service is horrible, as is their equipment. There was a big cable cut a while back and we lost service for about 2 weeks. Since that time, if it rains anythign more than a sprinkle my serice would go down for several hours. It could be coincidence.....but it was literally every single time.

3. My service started going down pretty much everyday after 530-6pm and then come back at about 10-1030. That seems to coincide with most people returning home from school/work and bedtime doesn't it. It seems to me that they stopped upgrading out herea along time ago, but have no issuies with adding new users to suckl up my bandwidth

4. Did I mention that their support sucks? Ever since they took over for AT&T I haven't been able to get a tech that knew his a$$ from a hole in the ground. No technical skills what-so-ever and really didn't givea damn when you had a problem.

After several instances of being down for a week+ at a time I had enough. I cancelled my cable modem, my phone line and my cable with them because of their ineptitude. I've since switched to SBC for all three....COMCAST can suck it !!!

Silver_2000
09-28-2004, 05:06 PM

1.It was cheaper for better speeds . I live ina new development and the houses have been popping in like crazy. It seems the type of folks that buy these houses are also the type that will pay $50 a month for internet. My speeds were much faster wehn i first moved here as my neighborhood was very sparse two years ago.

2. Comcast's service is horrible, as is their equipment. There was a big cable cut a while back and we lost service for about 2 weeks. Since that time, if it rains anythign more than a sprinkle my serice would go down for several hours. It could be coincidence.....but it was literally every single time.

3. My service started going down pretty much everyday after 530-6pm and then come back at about 10-1030. That seems to coincide with most people returning home from school/work and bedtime doesn't it. It seems to me that they stopped upgrading out herea along time ago, but have no issuies with adding new users to suckl up my bandwidth

4. Did I mention that their support sucks? Ever since they took over for AT&T I haven't been able to get a tech that knew his a$$ from a hole in the ground. No technical skills what-so-ever and really didn't givea damn when you had a problem.

After several instances of being down for a week+ at a time I had enough. I cancelled my cable modem, my phone line and my cable with them because of their ineptitude. I've since switched to SBC for all three....COMCAST can suck it !!!
Service sucks but I have been lucky - few problems and the speed rocks

I do find it amusing that I have a comcast.net email address I have NEVER used yet I get spam on it ... LOL What a bunch of scammers

blueoval01
09-28-2004, 05:15 PM
I live 15,000 feet or so from the verizon CO and barely got 768 way back when that was good speed. Just because they raised the max speeds DOESNT mean that I would see higher speeds. Distance is still the limiting factor. I have had cable for over 3 years without any major issues.
My distance is about 17500 feet, so I wouldn't get anything better than I currently have.

Moving to a new house is an option I guess :rll: :D

bobbywade69
09-28-2004, 09:05 PM
I don't live too far away from it, I get about 3.5-4.0 Download and about 400-615 Upload from my SBC DSL and its cheap also only 34 bucks a month!!

my2002lightning
09-28-2004, 09:24 PM
We have DSL svc. through Grande Communication (I know, I've never heard of them before, too) here and they seem to have good svc. and fairly fast UL/DL speeds.

Adam,

You may already know, but if not, SBC employees get healthy discounts on SBC service offerings.

Ronald

Silver_2000
09-28-2004, 09:45 PM
I don't live too far away from it, I get about 3.5-4.0 Download and about 400-615 Upload from my SBC DSL and its cheap also only 34 bucks a month!!
Never heard of DSL that fast

If I could get those upload speeds i would switch in a second

Tex Arcana
09-28-2004, 10:28 PM

I've been with, originally, AT&T cable internet, from back in 1997 in Plano, and had them here in Frisco when we built the house, and when they switched to Comcast. I ditched their cable, because the quality sucked (the old Frisco system was pretty bad, but I hear it's better now), but I've kept the internet. I lost it once for a bout 5 days, due to a major truck cut, but they were extremely nice and apologetic about it, giving me 2 months free for the inconvenience. My download speeds rock, the uploads are good, and the only service issue I've had recently was an odd connection loss, that was happening every 2-5 minutes, like clockwork: the tech was really good, taught me a couple tools I wasn't aware of (how to surf into the modem and verify connection status, for instance), and replaced a filter in the alley junction box. Been back to normal ever since. :tu:

Silver_2000
09-28-2004, 10:36 PM
the tech was really good, taught me a couple tools I wasn't aware of (how to surf into the modem and verify connection status, for instance), and replaced a filter in the alley junction box. Been back to normal ever since. :tu:
Share the cable modem surfing tips

Tex Arcana
09-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Share the cable modem surfing tips

Get the IP address (the computer-side) from your cable or DSL company, plug that into your web browser, and you should get something along the lines of a "Configuration Manager".
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v111/texarcana/surfboard.jpg

Kinda nice to know info, especially if the outage is signal-related.

r1eater
09-29-2004, 06:10 PM
DSL speed is strictly based on distance to the phone company CO

If you are far from the CO you will NEVER see the max speeds

Go to dslreports.com and use the tools there to figure out how far you are from the co that serves your area

Also ask your neighbors

I use comcast cause its LOTS faster here...

Doug

Thats an incorrect statement. The speeds are based on many factors but mostly cable pair length from the DSL equiptment and some of that eqpt is out in the field not only in CO's. Keep an eye our for a new offering called fiber to the house/curb. IT will blow existing DSL and Cable speeds away. Its more compariable to g.DSL which ranges from 3-6M up and down.

r1eater
09-29-2004, 06:15 PM
Never heard of DSL that fast

If I could get those upload speeds i would switch in a second

You should really check into it again. SBC now offers 6M down and 614up (which is what I have) They've done alot and spent mucho money on putting eqpt out in the field near peoples houses so they can expand their foot print and bring faster speeds in. Believe me 6M down and 6M up will be the normal package in the near future :) The only complaint I have about DSL is if you ever have a problem (which usually is never) You will may have a problem understanding the tech support guy since he in way the FVCK in BFE, or rather BF india :d

http://www.revlimitracing.com/boltvids/sbcDSL.jpg

Silver_2000
09-29-2004, 09:42 PM
You should really check into it again. SBC now offers 6M down and 614up (which is what I have) They've done alot and spent mucho money on putting eqpt out in the field near peoples houses so they can expand their foot print and bring faster speeds in. Believe me 6M down and 6M up will be the normal package in the near future :) The only complaint I have about DSL is if you ever have a problem (which usually is never) You will may have a problem understanding the tech support guy since he in way the FVCK in BFE, or rather BF india :d

Speed is directly related to the distance the cirsuit must travel. Whether its traveling to the CO or to a remote shelf.

The trouble is that Verizon serves this neighborhood. So its verizon equipment that will be providing the circuit no matter who sells it to me.

SBC isnt going to install a remote shelf in a Verizon neighborhood.

I have ordered 3rd tier DSl 2nd tier DSL, dedicated T1's and most things in between ...

I would order DSL BUT DSL companies dont offfer any speed assurances let alone guarantees.

I wil go thru all the hassle on the install to find out its 768/128 just like it was 5 years ago

Here is what SBC's site says

Sorry, 972-395-XXXX cannot be found in our records. You may be receiving this message due to one of the following:

You may have typed the number incorrectly — if so, please go back to the previous page and re-enter your number.
Your number is a wireless or PBX (private branch exchange) number.
You may live outside the SBC 13-state service territory: Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas or Wisconsin.
Or, you may be receiving this message because an SBC company is not the provider of your local phone service. If this is the case, we’d love to have the opportunity to be your only choice for all your communication needs.
And, when you call and switch to SBC local phone service, we’ll also give you a special discount on SBC Yahoo! DSL.

Not sure I can justify switching local phone companies just in the hopes of getting faster DSL

Just checked at DSL reports.com and the dsl providers that are paying for space there only offer up to 1100 down...

Im 10290 feet from the CO -

Earthlink offers 3000 down 128 up for $39.95
covad offers 3000 down 768 up for $99

Wait I can get Lightning Bolt DSL for 6016/768 for $99 a month LOL

r1eater
09-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Speed is directly related to the distance the cirsuit must travel. Whether its traveling to the CO or to a remote shelf.

The trouble is that Verizon serves this neighborhood. So its verizon equipment that will be providing the circuit no matter who sells it to me.

SBC isnt going to install a remote shelf in a Verizon neighborhood.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood, I thought the question was about SBC DSL and not Verizon DSL... You are right, Verizon DSL is le SUCK.. :d SBC does offer Speed assurances, If you order 1.5 down then your speed will be 1.5 from your house to the DSL eqpt. I'm not sure what Verizon's policy is on that.

Silver_2000
09-30-2004, 10:09 AM
For grins I called SBC

They CANT provide service here

Here is a quote from Verizons page

Service provisioned at 1.5 mbps /128 kbps or 768 kbps / 128 kbps grade service based on Verizon Online's standard loop qualification guidlines. Your initial connection to our network will be up to the maximum speed for the service (either 1.5 mbps or 768 kbps) and may vary.

Uh No thanks Ill stick with the 3000+ down and 400+ up I have now thanks.....

Tex Arcana
09-30-2004, 02:49 PM
I was just looking into this for a freind's mother in law, and found an outfit called (IIRC) Lightspeed, which offers wireless internet with 1.5m up/down for about $30 a month. :eek2:

whitelightning'02
09-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah.....and here I am in east Texas on dial-up watching them string fiber up and down the FM's and still will have months till they get it in the development and to the house! I miss even slow verizon dsl !!!!!!!!!!!

Lee
:beer:

dboat
09-30-2004, 07:58 PM
give us a link on that one will ya...
Dana

I was just looking into this for a freind's mother in law, and found an outfit called (IIRC) Lightspeed, which offers wireless internet with 1.5m up/down for about $30 a month. :eek2:

Silver_2000
09-30-2004, 09:44 PM
give us a link on that one will ya...
Dana
Think this is it

http://www.lightspeedwireless.net/

They put up towers that can transmit wireless for 2 miles in every direction...

If you aint near the tower - they aint gonna be able to help

Doug