PDA

View Full Version : What perfomance mods for 800.00?bang/buck

jim woods
10-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Newbie owner of new 2004 L. I have set a side 800.00 for performance mods for my new truck . What do u peps suggest that is going to be the most bang for the buck?

jcblack
10-05-2004, 09:10 PM
Newbie owner of new 2004 L. I have set a side 800.00 for performance mods for my new truck . What do u peps suggest that is going to be the most bang for the buck?Chip, Filter, and Pulley. I think that erveyone will agree with me. Except for Scott. He would say Throttle Body and valve body.

I had to mess with you Scott. Couldnt resist

tliss
10-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Chip and filter, hands down. You may have some left over for a pulley, depending on the chip you buy. Check with Terry at Performance Research on all of that good stuff.

Tom

L8 APEX
10-06-2004, 12:23 AM
SCT Tuner with 3 programs (COLD, WARM, RACE) $450, Filter kit $175, 4=6# pulley w/belt $240 all prices are installed. Most customers runs 12's with those mods, everything is in stock:tu: .

TX SVT LIGHTNING
10-06-2004, 04:57 AM
Find yourself a used (cageless design) lower pulley on one of the Lightning forums classifieds sections. You can find 2,3,4,5,6lb for $50-$150. The cageless is a no-wear item so no big deal buying one used. (as long as prev. owner didn't drop it)

While shopping for the used pulley, see if you can come across a stock airbox, (so you can keep your stock one in one piece) you can cut out part of the bottom, toss a k&n panel filter and go. $used box $40-$50, k&n-$35

A good chip or programmer from someone who knows how to dial the truck in is a must. Don't short cut this. Programmer is nice, you don't have to scrape the PCM board for a chip to install it. $400-$450

Lakewood traction bars will help prevent axle wrap and aid with a little traction help. $99 + s&h from summit or jegs

Read up on the various boards, use the search features to check on any questions you may have prior to asking as well. Good Luck & Enjoy! :)

byrd35us
10-06-2004, 06:57 AM
I guess I will be the one to mention the negative. All these mods are nice but make sure you have a mod friendly dealership to work with. Cause if not you may be throwing away a warranty on a brand new truck.

tliss
10-06-2004, 07:33 AM
I guess I will be the one to mention the negative. All these mods are nice but make sure you have a mod friendly dealership to work with. Cause if not you may be throwing away a warranty on a brand new truck.
Very true and great point. That is one drawback to modding the truck...basically you have to be prepared to have warranty work rejected and your warranty revoked if you do modify. Generally a lightly modded truck can be "un-modded" for trips to the dealer, but there are still telltale signs that a learned service tech can spot (i.e. scraped connector on the computer for a chip, etc). Some of us are so far gone that the only way we will get warranty work done is if we buy a new truck!

Tom

00Bolt
10-06-2004, 07:41 AM
ha, good one jake.... but i would say a Wes ported apten!!!! :d

jcblack
10-06-2004, 06:06 PM
ha, good one jake.... but i would say a Wes ported apten!!!! :d
Ill use that one next time.:d

PoorSvtman
10-06-2004, 09:25 PM
LOL!

Wes + Wannabe Enlarged(ported) supercharger.... I know lame but the best i could come up with..... Shiner has effected my brain tonight :beer: