PDA

View Full Version : Paging: Razor

George G.
08-06-2002, 02:24 PM
Chris, I wanted to see how the new steering gear box went. Also wanted to find out if you had any similar "popping" when turning the steering wheel and if it corrected it.

It's getting harder and harder to justify keeping this 9 year old truck.

TXBLU
08-06-2002, 04:14 PM
George, Chris came by the other day and we talked for a while. He said the truck steers good now. I gave him a hard time for not getting the factory adjustment prcedures for the box. I would certainly do the adjustment first, then if it doesn't fix the problem, replace the box. Is yours loose too? Somebody has to have a factory service manual around here somewhere.....:twitch:

George G.
08-06-2002, 05:00 PM
Well, I thought about doing that to mine, but considering that I'va already cranked the adjuster screw about 1 1/2-2 turns. I'm not quite sure where my problem is. I need to have someone turn the steering wheel while I feel around underneath and see where I can find the popping. I think the gear box might be binding. Is it possible the I could've tightened the tie rod nuts and ball joint nuts too tight?

TXBLU
08-06-2002, 05:47 PM
No, If you have a popping noise when turning the wheel, you might have another problem. Seriously, If you don't adjust the steering box as per the manual, you could cause it to wear all the way out real quick. If you want, you could stop by Wed night and we can look at it in my garage. Did you ever replace the I-beam bushings? That could be doing it.

George G.
08-06-2002, 05:58 PM
Nope, not yet. I have them, I was gonna do it last weekend but turns out I gotta grind off the edge. They're too long, so I gotta get either a hack saw or a bench grinder and shorten them. Hope to have that taken care of by this weekend so I can install them with my swaybar and end link bushings. I got my radius arm bushings installed and that alone stiffened it up alot. So far I like it.

TXBLU
08-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Where did you get he bushings from? Could you describe them?

George G.
08-06-2002, 08:50 PM
They're Energy Suspension, got em from Summit. The I-beam bushings have a metal sleeve that the bolt goes through and the bushing part is 2 outer rings and a black middle ring.

TXBLU
08-06-2002, 09:12 PM
Yeah, that sounds like the right stuff. I think that if you compare the space between the ears on the frame to how thick the new bushings stack up, it'll be pretty close. As I remember, it's a pretty tight fit anyway. If you want to try to put them in tomorrow, let me know. I can probably save you a bunch of time.

George G.
08-07-2002, 01:08 PM
Thanks but I can't make it today. Got some remodeling to finish up at the house this evening.

TXBLU
08-07-2002, 03:52 PM
Cool. When and if you need any help, let me know. That's a job I've done several times before.:burnout:

Razor
08-07-2002, 06:16 PM
The new steering box did get rid of the slop shake at 40mph. I chose to just buy a new one to be over with it. But I still have a pop somewhere going straight and in turns. Something loose but what? I have had the entire front end apart 3 times. The 3rd time was a reassurance deal. Everything is tight. Im thinking that the drag link pin is poppin...up and down...cuz its only when I run over concrete that gives the truck shakes. Whatever it is its not going to break any time soon. Ive abused the steering and tires trying to make the ? fail.....lol. Keep in touch. I check my e-mail daily.

Chris

TXBLU
08-07-2002, 06:36 PM
Chris, Let me know if you want to bring it by the house sometime. I'll check it out for you. It has to be something we can find.:tu:

George G.
08-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Well, I'd like to meet up with you sometime to checkout your truck and compare problems.:mad: This is really ****ing me off. Yesterday I had the wife turn the steering wheel while I was underneath feeling around and my popping is freakin loud, plus if I put my hand on the gear box, that's where it feels the strongest. Maybe we can meet up at Eric's place or something

Razor
08-08-2002, 01:07 AM
My gear box never made noise...just had slack in it. My poppin noise id more like a coil spring shifting up off saddle of those annoying riple bumps. I would like to meet up.... but I will be laid up this weekend due to minor surgery Friday. I do know my noise is on the drivers side....I know how you feel. Drives me:banana::banana: :vomit:

Oh and about those bushings..they are not the cause/ the ones I installed from autozone are much more firm than the energy ones.