PDA

View Full Version : Computer/Chip Problems?

TxBolt
10-14-2004, 07:05 PM
Jim sent me a new style of chip. Its differant then the old superchips. Anyway I cranked my truck this morning and I was looking for my safe cold side and I could not get it to run but on one spot. Its a 2 way chip with a 0 and a 1 on the dial, but it it blacked out on the other sides of the dial and it was running on the dark side.Well I was trying to leave work and it won't crank on any side of the dial. I have reset my computer a few times with and with out a chip it won't crank. My milege will not show just lines across. Does this mean my computer shut down? What do I do and whats the cost? I hope this is not what to expect with these new chips.:(

BigBobsL
10-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally it probably meant you only have one program on the chip. I believe Jim charges by the program now. The problem you have now for whatever reason is that your pcm has lost it PATS code and is likely fried like mine was.

In my case I think it was because the switch cable came out of the pcm. One thing you need to do is place a rubber band around the chip to hold the socket that the switch cable latches into. I learned this the hard way. When changing programs with the battery cable connected, the cable came out of chip. This fried the pcm and cost me a $200 tow from track, plus install and programing of new pcm figure $350 if you have a good friend in parts department, quite a bit more ($450-$600) if not.

Beware - if that recepticle bends out from chip even a small amount, the cable can slip right out.