PDA

View Full Version : New sound system

devildog92
08-07-2002, 06:02 PM
I thought I would let you in on a secret. I am getting a new system for the L...

I am getting a set of Boston's (5x7 and 5 1/2) front and back, JL Audio amp, Eclipse head unit that is expandable to a Nav system, voice-operated control system (operates windows and other goodies by the sound of my voice) for the truck, and of course DVD/MP3/CD player. Tweeter has a deal with no interest for 18m on their card for purchases of $900 or more. The system should really rock. I am going to get the fold screen sometime in 1st qtr of next yr, with the Nav system sometime next summer (that component is costly, with the cd's for the entire US being 1k alone).

I should have it by Saturday, so this should be an interesting weekend.

J.D. Blackwell
08-07-2002, 06:04 PM
TIGHT!

tliss
08-08-2002, 07:23 AM
I just got the DVD/CD head unit and AV receiver installed in my trcuk a few weeks ago. Definitely need to change out those stock speakers, add a sub and an amp. The AV receiver has an amp in it which pushes the speakers at high volume. All I ahve to say is the surround sound can't be beat inside a small cab like the Lightning's!!

Have fun and watch out for the police. I hear the ticket for having the screen active and in view of the driver is anywhere from $800 to over $1000:eek2: :eek2:

I wonder what a ticket for being caught :burnout: , :beer: , :hammer: and giving the police :bs would run!

Have fun with it!

Tom

Tony2000
08-09-2002, 12:31 AM
let me know how you like the boston's
i'm thinking of changing my Kenwood's
for boston or some thing else
I like my kenwood but I want MORE
just want MORE :banana: :banana: :banana:

wesman
08-09-2002, 12:46 AM
CD's can be "had" for much less I'm sure...depends where you look ;)

Tony2000
08-09-2002, 01:13 AM
:burnout: :beer: :hammer:
and:bs an officer
for shure a trip to down town for free
but extra charges may apply
consult with you local police station
for more information dial 911
:banana:

devildog92
08-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Ok, the sound is GREAT. Eclipse and Boston make great products, far superior than anything I have heard thus far. The sound is crisp and clean, and I am duly impressed. However, I am NOT impressed by Tweeter and their c/s. They had my truck from 130p on Friday and it took them (supposedly) 16 1/2 hrs to do a amp, speaker, and head unit install. They lost the cpu cover that runs the L (but I later found it by Gods grace all the way over on the pass side for some reason). When I called them today about it before I found it (mind you, when they called last night and told me to come and get it I was told 'we are wrapping things up here', and I get there and get the truck two hrs later) I was told by Mike that he did not have time to look for that and he would call me back.

I am ****ed at this point. 3 hrs later, no response. So I march my happy ass down there and confront him. He said he hasn't had time to look for it (but I guess they had time enough, 17 hrs worth, to lose it), so I said lets go right now in the shop and take a look. He says NO, maybe in 10 minutes when he gets a few things wrapped up. At this stage I am going into cardiac arrest with anger and just want to tear his tongue out.

Wrapping this tiraid up, we get back there and its not there. Get home, find it on the other side ot the truck.

My advice would be a) to purchase the high quality crap from them and have someone put it in for you or b) not waste the time supporting that place AT ALL. They are 15-20% higher than Best Buy or Circuit City, and I thought it would be due to high end customer service. Guess I was a dumb ass for believeing that one.:flaming:

andy_cain
08-11-2002, 09:34 PM
I agree with Devildog 100% the componets you list are top notch and will sound awsome.
Take a look at all the online dealers and their prices ( look item and part number up on Ebay and BUY IT NEW with warranty)
You will save yourself over 30% guaranteed.
Second - The work is not that hard to do. You can do it yourself for next to nothing and then if there is a problem, you know where things are and how they are run.
If you are not electrically inclined, ask a fellow L owner who has done it.
There is a wealth of info out there for Free.
Do yourself a favor,
1) Buy the componets new on line with warranty
2) buy the adaptor kits needed on line
3) Install yourself
If you need to have the work done by someone else, my friend that hooked all mine up (licensed electrition) would be happy to do it at a fraction of a super stores price.
You have plenty of options...exercise them.

:hammer:

Silver_2000
08-11-2002, 09:46 PM
I need to either get a supwoofer amp to push 300 watts to my JLws6 or get a woofer that is happy with 100 watts...

Earmark wanted $875 for a 5 channel amp that would push the sub and the Boston acoustics, a capacitor and all the wires... No way can I afford to spend another $900.... If I cant figure out a cheaper way Ill just throw the ws6 away and get sub that has less of an appetite

Doug

devildog92
08-11-2002, 10:24 PM
The amp I just had installed was a JL Audio 300/4, and it rocks. Supposedly it is an extremely hardy unit that can take the abuse (physically, heat wear and electrically). They run about $500 at Tweeter, which means about $350 everywhere else LOL

;)