PDA

View Full Version : Bad news on Gen 3 L

WA 2 FST
10-20-2004, 04:58 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101065

Read it and weep.

tliss
10-20-2004, 05:02 PM
The rumors were spreading about this. Well that sucks. Too bad they are saying that the truck market is being handed over to Dodge. For new trucks, maybe, but they still cannot dominate us. Dodge can bite my ass..I will not lose to an SRT-10....

Tom

00Bolt
10-20-2004, 05:02 PM
well i wasnt gonna be able to afford one next year, but I sure wanted to see them.....hopefully it will come out in a few years :mad:

WA 2 FST
10-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Ford just continues to go backasswards, IMHO...one reason after driving exclusively Fords for over a decade, I bought a brand X sports car. Ford enthusiasts have proven since '93 that the SVT vehicles are worth the investment. Except for the Contour, they have all sold well enough to stand on their own, and in many cases sold extremely well.

We've clamored for years and years for a 2-seat sports car to go up against the Vette. Ford refuses to do that. Instead they build 3000 immortalized GT's that the mainstream public cannot afford, and the ones who can afford it still have a small chance of owning one (due to the politics involved of getting one). That's ludicrous.

Build what WE want and WE will buy it and put $$ in your pockets.

Ford can bite me.

SpeedyBolt
10-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Well there is one upside to the postponement! I was going to trade my in on one of the new Cobras once they come out because of the new Lightning having a huge effect on the re-sale value of my '01. Now I will hold on to it untill Ford decides what they are going to do with the Lightning. Maybe it will raise the value?????

Jester
10-20-2004, 05:26 PM
that sucks, I wanted to trade this one in for a new one someday, but looks like I'll be getting a Cobra :flaming:

r1eater
10-20-2004, 05:43 PM
:cool:

Wht95Lightning
10-20-2004, 05:49 PM
This sums it up right here. :crying:

Apparently, cost played a leading role in the decision, as the expense involved in developing and certifying a proper V8, and massaging the new-for-2004 F-150's chassis, was deemed prohibitive. Also, the next-generation Lightning's fuel mileage would likely continue to detract from Ford's Corporate Average Fuel Economy totals: The current Lightning is rated at 12 mpg city, 16 mpg highway.

r1eater
10-20-2004, 05:50 PM
This sums it up right here. :crying:

In otherwords, DODGE owns JOO.. :( as far as the Gen 3 went.

Silver_2000
10-20-2004, 06:40 PM
Ford just continues to go backasswards, IMHO...one reason after driving exclusively Fords for over a decade, I bought a brand X sports car. Ford enthusiasts have proven since '93 that the SVT vehicles are worth the investment. Except for the Contour, they have all sold well enough to stand on their own, and in many cases sold extremely well.

We've clamored for years and years for a 2-seat sports car to go up against the Vette. Ford refuses to do that. Instead they build 3000 immortalized GT's that the mainstream public cannot afford, and the ones who can afford it still have a small chance of owning one (due to the politics involved of getting one). That's ludicrous.

Build what WE want and WE will buy it and put $$ in your pockets.

Ford can bite me.
I agree -
Now that I see it in writing Im pissed. **** em -
Time to buy something else... Take down all these websites and move on....

TreeFiddy
10-20-2004, 07:55 PM
They were supposed to put the Ford GT engine in the new L, why would that cost be prohibitively expensive when they've already done the R&D? Besides, the trucks don't count against the CAFE totals, do they? Otherwise they wouldn't keep building Excursions.

Oh, well. You guys just got a kick up in value of your trucks, and as for the new ones, you can build a better truck for less with aftermarket parts anyway. Screw SVT and Ford. They waste time and money building supercars that nobody can afford and then drop the vehicles that enabled them to exist in the first place.

r1eater
10-20-2004, 08:05 PM
They were supposed to put the Ford GT engine in the new L, why would that cost be prohibitively expensive when they've already done the R&D? Besides, the trucks don't count against the CAFE totals, do they? Otherwise they wouldn't keep building Excursions.

I think it was the part where they had to modify the frame to fit the engine. They couldn't fit it in the way the "wanted" it.

dboat
10-20-2004, 08:36 PM
I still like my truck and wont trade it in on anything else.. what else does what it does??? nothing in my opinion.. glad I have one now..
Dana

L8 APEX
10-20-2004, 09:44 PM
Looking at the new rolling chasis from various 04-05 F-150's at the shop I was scratching my head saying this suspension just won't work for a Lightning:hammer: . They would have to change a lot in the frame and they won't do that. SVT only takes production F150's and throws extra stuff on them. I f they had a new frame and suspension made it would be way to special to sell for 35K prices.

True Blue Aggie
10-20-2004, 09:48 PM
With your possible impending purchases, what will happen with the website? Would you really take it down?

Silver_2000
10-20-2004, 10:10 PM
With your possible impending purchases, what will happen with the website? Would you really take it down?Who knows- I'm in a bad mood...

If I sell my boat I can buy a Used BMW M5 and keep the lightning :eek2:
BUT the value of the sites and interest in them goes down if there is no Gen 3.... Its a tough call - I doubt i would just darken them - Worst case I would sell them to the "Texas Lightning Brothers"

WA 2 FST
10-21-2004, 12:45 AM
I agree Doug.

People on the other board keep saying it will help the Gen 2 L aftermarket, more interest will be created in the Gen 2. I call BS as far as long-term goes. Just look at the late model F-body aftermarket. It's already starting to slow down, as is the 5.0 Mustang stuff...and these were HUGE markets compared to what the L brings to the table.

You need something new every few years to keep the cycle going.

Short-term, its not going to make a difference, and yes, it will actually help resale values of the Gen 2 L.

Silver_2000
10-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Here is contact info if you want to FAX or email your displeasure to FORD

http://www.f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=172474

Sixpipes
10-22-2004, 08:56 AM
I personally thought the Gen III concept was ugly and would not have been interested in buying one anyway. I was looking forward to it coming out however, because there would have been some really nice low mileage 99/00s available. :evil

Silver_2000
10-22-2004, 09:22 AM
I personally thought the Gen III concept was ugly and would not have been interested in buying one anyway. I was looking forward to it coming out however, because there would have been some really nice low mileage 99/00s available. :evil
Easy for the guy with 10 lightnings to say :hammer:

Max Mitchell
10-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I'm so in love with mine that I bought a second one. 2008 or later???...I don't think so.

Silver_2000
10-25-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm so in love with mine that I bought a second one. 2008 or later???...I don't think so.
Max

You in the market for an adopted son ?

blueoval01
10-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Max

You in the market for an adopted son ? ....... or Father? :eek:

Max Mitchell
10-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Hardy har har. I used an X-plan on both of them. Then I totally deducted them using the 179 deduction. This is a deduction for small business owners. Instead of the normal, multi-year automobile deduction, this deduction allows TOTAL price deduction in one year. I deducted a 2004 last year when they came out and I'm deducting a 2004 this year. Only 2003 and 2004 Lightnings qualify for this because the GVWR was increased. The GVWR has to be above 6000lbs (2003-2004 L is 6050lbs). This is basically a tax loophole that's been on the records for several years. It was intended for commercial equipment and farmers but has been abused by Doctors buying BMW X-5s and Porsche Turbo Cayennes for several years. If interested do a general browser search for SUV deduction or SUV loophole. Do it fast, it's in the process of being removed right now. It's sitting on Bush's desk. Buy this year.

WA 2 FST
10-26-2004, 10:25 AM
Yep. I did the same thing as Max. In fact, that's the sole reason I sold my '99 L and bought an '04 L. I had finished the 5yr write-off of my '99, and wasn't going to buy another truck. Then I found out that the '03-04 trucks were over 6000lbs GWVR, so I bought one...and get to write it all off in year one. It's probably the ONLY tax advantage a small business owner can get, but I gladly took it.

Wht95Lightning
10-28-2004, 05:55 PM
For several years now the 179 deduction allowed for a vehicle up $100,000.

For 05 that is being cut to $25,000. So if you're going to buy that Cayenne, you'd better do it before midnight 1/1/05.

I just sent emails to both
jcoletti@ford.com

and

tscarpel@ford.com

to let them know how I felt about the G3 getting canned. I got an auto reply back from one of them saying he was on vacation. :rolleyes:

Silver_2000
10-28-2004, 08:43 PM
I just sent emails to both
jcoletti@ford.com
and
tscarpel@ford.com
to let them know how I felt about the G3 getting canned. I got an auto reply back from one of them saying he was on vacation. :rolleyes:
At least we know its a real mail box - They dont put OOO messages on dummy boxes..

98Cobra
11-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Dare we hope?

Don't sell the websites yet, Doug. :D

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/autoshows/sema2004/ford/lightning/page1.html

Wht95Lightning
11-11-2004, 02:02 PM
But I finally got a response to the email I sent to Ford about the Gen3.

Here it is:

Dear Gary,

I am writing in response to your recent email regarding Ford's decision to postpone the launch of the next-generation SVT F-150 Lightning.

On behalf of everyone at SVT, thank you very much for taking the time to write to express your feelings. By any measure, the SVT F-150 Lightning has been a very successful product for Ford. With a total of 39,687 SVT F-150 Lightnings produced since 1993, the Lightning is the longest-running, best-selling sport truck nameplate in the industry. With a unique blend of performance, style, functionality, and value, Lightning is truly an icon product.

Over the years, the SVT F-150 Lightning has earned Ford a tremendously loyal customer base. Most Lightning owners own other Ford Motor Company products as well. Lightning owners are often responsible for encouraging friends, neighbors, and co-workers to consider Ford products. This is why we at SVT believe that Lightning customers are some of Ford's most valuable customers. Ford and SVT are fortunate to have such a loyal and enthusiastic customer base.

Ever since the news of the postponement of the next-generation Lightning became a matter of public record, we have received numerous letters, faxes, phone calls, and emails from Lightning owners. The overwhelming response to this announcement is a strong indication of the passion that our customers have for this very special product. We are presently in the process of compiling and cataloguing this important and highly valued input from our customers, so that we may share it with Company management.

Any further announcements regarding the SVT F-150 Lightning and/or other SVT programs will be communicated through our dealers and via our website, www.svt.ford.com (http://www.svt.ford.com/). Alternatively, feel free to contact me at the SVT InfoCenter, at 1-800-367-3788 (1-800-FORD-SVT), between 8:30am-5:00pm Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Matt Tippin

SVT InfoCenter Supervisor

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 6:36 PM
To: Coletti, John (O.J.)
Cc: Scarpello, Tom (T.A.)
Subject: Re: Shelving the Lightning.

Dear Sirs,

I am extremely disappointed to hear that the next generation Lightning has been scrapped. I am a Lightning enthusiast and I've owned my 95 #1669 since new. I even worked as a tech at 2 different Ford dealerships between 1989 and 1996. Needless to say I love Ford products.
An 06 Lightning was at the top of my list of new trucks for next year and is what I had planned on parking right next to my 95 in the garage.

Please reconsider your decision. I know that I am not alone.

Kind Regards,

Gary Jones

I got the feeling from this response that it was actual and not canned considering gramatical errors.
I STILL want a GEN 3!!!! :bs

tliss
11-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Here's the response I got today:

Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 8:50 AM
To: Liss, Thomas [NGD:2482:EXCH]
Subject: RE: The Shelving of the SVT Lightning

Dear Thomas,

On behalf of Ford Motor Company Chairman Bill Ford, I am writing in response to your recent email regarding Ford's decision to postpone the launch of the next-generation SVT F-150 Lightning.

On behalf of everyone at SVT, thank you very much for taking the time to write to express your feelings. By any measure, the SVT F-150 Lightning has been a very successful product for Ford. With a total of nearly 40,000 SVT F-150 Lightnings produced since 1993, the Lightning is the longest-running, best-selling sport truck nameplate in the industry. With a unique blend of performance, style, functionality, and value, Lightning truly is an icon product.

Over the years, the SVT F-150 Lightning has earned Ford a tremendously loyal customer base. Most Lightning owners own other Ford Motor Company products as well. Lightning owners often are responsible for encouraging friends, neighbors, and co-workers to consider Ford products. This is why we at SVT believe that Lightning customers are some of Ford's most valuable customers. Ford and SVT are fortunate to have such a loyal and enthusiastic customer base.

Ever since the news of the postponement of the next-generation Lightning became a matter of public record, we have received numerous letters, faxes, phone calls, and emails from Lightning owners. The overwhelming response to this announcement is a strong indication of the passion that our customers have for this very special product. We presently are in the process of compiling and cataloguing this important and highly valued input from our customers, so that we may share it with Company management.

Any further announcements regarding the SVT F-150 Lightning and/or other SVT programs will be communicated through our dealers and via our website, www.svt.ford.com (http://www.svt.ford.com/). Alternatively, feel free to contact me at the SVT InfoCenter, at 1-800-367-3788 (1-800-FORD-SVT), between 8:30am-5:00pm Eastern time, Monday through Friday.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Sincerely,

Matt Tippin
SVT InfoCenter Supervisor

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 9:02 AM
To: Coletti, John (O.J.); Scarpello, Tom (T.A.); McKelvey, Scott (S.D.); Ford, William Clay (W.C.); Gilmour, Allan (A.D.); Krygier, Roman (R.J.)
Subject: The Shelving of the SVT Lightning
Importance: High

Dear Sirs,

I am the proud owner of a black 2001 Lightning and a member of several bulletin boards on the Internet that cater specifically to me as a Lightning owner. I am the event coordinator for the local Lightning club in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, Texas Area Lightning Owners North, with membership consisting of several hundred owners. I have participated in many local and national events and have engulfed my life into the Lightning “brotherhood” that exists today; a “brotherhood” that I would say has a following that fiercely rivals that of GM’s Corvette.

I had the opportunity to see the third generation Lightning concept in Topeka, Kansas, at LightningFest 1 in 2003, and I must say I was quite impressed with the design, and very seriously looked forward to my third generation Lightning being delivered in 2006, a truck that would not replace my current Lightning, but rather be in addition to it.

Recently, however, it has been stated that the third generation Lightning program has been cancelled or put on hold indefinitely. This is gravely disturbing to me as a current Lightning owner and fanatic. The market for such specialized trucks has increased and the competition is fierce now that Dodge has come out with the Ram SRT-10. I know very well that my appetite for power and performance will increase as time goes on, and seeing that a new Lightning is nowhere in sight, I may just have to invest my hard-earned money in a vehicle made by a company that understands my needs and wants, and is willing to cater to the niche market that I am a part of. Considering how Ford is turning its back on the Lightning fan, and me personally, I cannot see how I could bring myself to buy another Ford product, which is a big disappointment. The whole reason I buy Ford vehicles is because Ford has always offered something special for my personal tastes. Now that you are taking the one vehicle that I am truly interested in, and are basically turning your back on the niche market that you created, I have no choice but to search elsewhere for my special vehicle needs.

I hope you reconsider the scrapping of the third generation Lightning. This niche market is a market that Ford created in 1993; to just pass the torch on to a competitor like Dodge without a fight shows that maybe Ford was complacent about the fact that there was no competition in the market, and now that there is some competition, Ford has elected to throw in the towel. This has really caused me to question Ford's support for the Lightning fan...was the last eleven years nothing more than preparation for a disappointment? You have put the current Lightning owners in an awkward position among sport truck enthusiasts because we sing the praises of the Lightning every chance we get. We still go out the the race tracks and beat those Dodge trucks in head-to-head racing and state that the next generation Lightning will beat them even worse. Well, now that that next generation Lightning has been pulled out from under us, we have lost that manufacturer backing and that is a really hard pill to swallow. I carry my head high since I own one of the greatest machines ever built, but have a hard time maintaining excitement because Ford is bowing out and giving the market to Dodge. Disappointment is the only word that comes to mind.

If you would like to contact me to discuss, please feel free to. I can be reached at -before 4pm CST, and at - after, or you can reply to this e-mail

Sincerely,

Thomas D. Liss

Proud Owner of a 2001 SVT Lightning

Form letter with a little variation in some spots. As you can see, I sent mine to everyone I could.

Tom