PDA

View Full Version : Air Filter Question

F-35
10-25-2004, 05:03 PM
All,

I was just wondering - do the cone filters in the cold air box (i.e. airraid 400-124) really make an appreciable difference over say a replacement K&N in our original configuration? Opinions, numbers, experience?

Del

99WhiteBeast
10-25-2004, 05:40 PM
I would say yes- no data to back it up only SOTP feel and slight increase in boost

dboat
10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Terry has some data but it is more related to the air temp and using an Airraid type box vs open filter..

but if you put a couple of extra holes in the bottom of your stock airbox, then you would be close to an open air filter.. but I like the open air filter.. it just sounds better.. :evil

L8 APEX
10-25-2004, 06:32 PM
A straight naked filter is the only way to go, boxes are for lunches.

my2002lightning
10-25-2004, 06:54 PM
Well,

I've got the 12" open "cone" filter on the L now and the Air-Raid about to go on this evening or so.

I'm wondering why on the Air-Raid, that their cone-filter has a closed plastic "snout" on the end, but my 12" open filter has an open element snout. I'm thinking about keeping the Air-Raid box, but swap in my old filter.

I'll have to do something data-logging with the AutoTap with the IAT1 and IAT2 temps and look at the difference. It maybe a while since the laptop battery doesn't want to hold a charge.:hammer:

But, yes... a noticeable SOTP difference over the stock air-box and it certainly makes the S/C ALOT louder. :nana2

blueoval01
10-25-2004, 07:04 PM
A straight naked filter is the only way to go, boxes are for lunches. Oh crap!! :eek:
I actually agree with Terry. :rolleyes:
First mods I (Terry) ever did were open air filter and fog light switch.

Boxes are for like, putting books in ........... or something.