PDA

View Full Version : Advice on aftermarket gauge connections

WA 2 FST
11-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Ok, I've installed a number of different gauges in my lifetime, but not in an L. I got my steering column single gauge pod today with AM Lunar series boost gauge. The gauge looks really cool. White face w/ black numerals, bright orange/red needle, and when it lights up it gives off the same type of incandescent green glow that our stock L gauges have.

Two questions:

1) Where is the best vacuum source to tap into? I'm looking for something preferrably near the firewall where the steering column protrudes through.

2) Where is the best place to tap in for the dash lighting 12v source? I may just tap into the fuse box and do it that way. However, I still don't own an L manual (the on-line ones never responded when I ordered the DVDs) and am not sure of the dash light fuse location.

Hoping to have this done before next week when I take the truck to Terry for a few goodies. :)

Thanks.

Avalanche
11-02-2004, 05:42 PM
The best and easiest place is under the dash were the vacume line for the stock gauge runs, tap into that with a T and then you know what to do from there.

I can't remeber were I got my power source from I know it is in the fuse box, I think I went with the ACC and then when I got power I used that one. Terry can tellyou better on the power though.

L1nt2B
11-02-2004, 06:41 PM
I taped my gauge lights right behind the light switch so the dimmer controlled them too

WA 2 FST
11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Ok, I located the correct fuse (its #18) for the instrument panel lights. Tapping into that will be easy. Also located the vacuum line for the boost gauge. Again, simple to "T" into that.

For those who have installed this particular pod, how did you affix it to the steering column? Autometer supplies double-sided TAPE in lieu of threaded bosses where the OEM screws would go. How cheesy of them. I guess that would have added $2-3 to the cost of the pod...which I would have certainly paid for. I don't want this thing moving around, flying off, etc.

FWIW, I haven't torn into it yet, but can tell pretty easily how its all oriented. Hopefully I'll have some time to install it tomorrow.

G'Lightning
11-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Pop out your headlight switch panel and buy some wire tap splices and tap into the light blue wire with the red stripe on the right hand side.That is the dimmer wire so your gauge will dim with your dash lights. :tu:

PoorSvtman
11-02-2004, 09:05 PM
Ok, I located the correct fuse (its #18) for the instrument panel lights. Tapping into that will be easy. Also located the vacuum line for the boost gauge. Again, simple to "T" into that.

For those who have installed this particular pod, how did you affix it to the steering column? Autometer supplies double-sided TAPE in lieu of threaded bosses where the OEM screws would go. How cheesy of them. I guess that would have added $2-3 to the cost of the pod...which I would have certainly paid for. I don't want this thing moving around, flying off, etc.

FWIW, I haven't torn into it yet, but can tell pretty easily how its all oriented. Hopefully I'll have some time to install it tomorrow.

Thas all i used was double sided tape... just clean the area of the pod and the column with a cotton ball and a little rubbing alchol.. Let it dry and apply pressure for a few secs and leave it be... It worked for me just fine..

I actualy dont like the little plastic rivits that the column pods come with. just looks cheese to me..

L8 APEX
11-02-2004, 09:14 PM
To my knowledge a Lunar gauge cannot be dimmed it should have 12V all the time for illum. Use a soft 7/64 vacuum tee from Autzone to take place of the factory elbow under the dash. Keep the line to the gauge out of the steering nuckle. I use the sticky tape it works good.